“Great, but not AMAZING”

Ranked #21 of 634 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: US$5 - US$25
Cuisines: Belgian
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Takeout
Description: Duckfat is a small sandwich shop that has it all: classic Belgian fries made with local Maine potatoes fried in duck fat, panini, soups, salads, charcuterie, sodas and milkshakes all made in house. Add a killer beer and wine list and you have Duckfat, a fun and unique dining destination in Portland, Maine.
Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

As a top New England destinations for Chopped Fans and Foodies, Duckfat nearly delivers on its promises glory..... Be prepared to wait for an hour (even off peak meal times). So make sure you have a plan for something to do on the block when you go. The sandwiches are DELICIOUS!!!! The meatloaf and the brisket were to DIE FOR (my husband and I went halvsies). I was SLIGHTLY disappointed with the fries...... good flavor, BUT kind of soggy and flaccid; I was expecting crispier. But the curry dipping mayo nearly made up for it. I was underwhelmed by the Signature Milkshake; it wasn’t anything to write home about, not terribly creamy or flavorful, kind of icy actually. Worth a visit, but a TEENY bit overrated.

Date of visit: June 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (1 988)

150 - 154 of 1 988 reviews

Reviewed 24 June 2018

Their poutine is a must order. It is probably the best poutine that I have ever had. The sandwiches that we ordered were also excellent. Their milkshakes were great as well.

We just beat the lunch crowd on our visit. When we left, it did look like their was quite the wait, but I would definitely say that it would be worth it.

Reviewed 22 June 2018 via mobile

Restaurant opens at 11 AM, so be there then or decide to wait to be seated. There are places to browse near the restaurant but parking of more than an hour is very hard to find.
Start off with the fresh cut fries cooked in duck fat or fried with poutine (cheese curds), then have a sandwich or salad from limited but excellant menu. Have a handmade specialty soda or shake if you have room.

Reviewed 21 June 2018

Duckfat has always been a go to for us when in Maine, but probably won't return. I ordered the Kale and duck salad, which came out in the smallest bowl I've ever seen. It was OK at best, but CERTAINLY NOT worth its price. Our $40+ lunch consisted of this tiny salad, a milkshake and an order of Poutine...the service was very good, but didn't justify what we received in food. Sorry to say we'll find another place to love. There are so many choices in Portland, I'm sure this won't be an issue. So long Duckfat.

Reviewed 20 June 2018

Great comfort food. Cute small restaurant located near the east end in Portland. Make sure to put this on your must visit list of Portland Restaurants.

Date of visit: August 2017