All reviewsoriginal woodworkboutique hotelhardwood floorschef nicklocal snacksglass doorbath productsmini barwithin walking distancearts districton site parkingfront deskdirectly across the streethistoric buildingfantastic staysized bedart museum
Reviewed 28 June 2018

The Francis is a beautiful place near downtown Portland Maine. All of the rooms are unique and we loved hours. We were traveling with two other couples and everyone found their rooms to be spectacular. The people running the hotel were very friendly and helpful. If you stay here keep in mind that just a couple of doors down is the Roma Café. We drove all over town looking for dinner and ended up back at this café for one of the best feels we had on our trip

Room Tip: I think our room number was 101 or possibly 102 but we had our own private balcony which was very nice
Anthony D, Owner at The Francis, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2018

Ronaldo,

Thank you for your kind review and we are very happy your entire party enjoyed their stay. Please come again.

Reviewed 19 June 2018

I was only going to be in Portland for a few days and wanted accommodation where I could walk everywhere if I wanted but had parking, too. What a find. The room was smallish but very modern with all the amenities you'd want. I especially liked how they texted me when the room was ready - have that point of contact was handy when my friend's flight was cancelled and needed a place to stay overnight. I texted them to tell them my friend would be arriving and to please let her into the room (I was out with friends for the evening). They confirmed via text it wouldn't be a problem. So easy.
There's a fabulous coffee shop right across the street, too.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank stewartallen2018
Anthony D, Owner at The Francis, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2018

Stewart,

It was so nice to meet you during your stay and so glad you found our location to be perfect for your trip. We were happy to accommodate your guest and we hope to have you both back the next time you're in Portland.

Have a great summer.

Reviewed 19 June 2018 via mobile

This hotel offers the opportunity to stay in a beautiful building that has been painstakingly restored. Quality work was done throughout. Modern bathroom and shower, thick towels, nice robes, comfortable bed, spacious room, good WiFi, and coffee at the front desk. Nice sitting area for visiting. Situated in a trendy neighborhood with interesting restaurants and other fine old buildings. Opportunity for nice walks down to the water and to parks. The only disappointment was that although the hardwood floors and spare furnishings make everything seem clean, there is not much attention to detail amongst the housekeeping staff. Our bed was made up every day and towels changed, but dirty wine glasses and used towels were not picked up. Shower gel and toilet paper ran out. There were sticky spots on the floor. Truthfully, even less expensive hotels do a better job of freshening rooms, so this was surprising given how carefully the building had been renovated and the price they were charging.

2  Thank thinktravelCA
Anthony D, Owner at The Francis, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2018

ThinkTravel,

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us your feedback on your trip. You are correct about your refresh. We did not meet our own standards and thus let you down in the process. We have addressed these issues as of yesterday with all staff and did some refreshes together so everyone is on the same page. I am glad you found the rest of your stay comfortable and we hope to have you back.

All the best,

Reviewed 13 June 2018

My husband and me booked a long weekend trip to Portland, and found this hotel with terrific reviews, so I booked it. It’s a newly renovated old mansion, that maintains everything beautiful about an old home, with modern touches in our room. I booked a king room, which was on the third floor. Our room was huge, decorated minimally in an elegant way. The bathroom and shower were wonderful. If I had to complain about anything, I’d say the bathroom lighting was too dark for applying makeup. Maybe adding a lighted makeup mirror on the wall would be a great fix. Overall, we were very pleased with this boutique hotel, very warm and welcoming staff and beautiful accommodations. We’ve been to Portland many times, usually staying at bigger hotels, but we both think this was a great find! We will be back for sure.

1  Thank trishct2017
Anthony D, Owner at The Francis, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2018

Trish,

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us your review and we would love to have you back. Your feedback on the dim lights is noted and we have been trying to figure out the best way to incorporate brighter lights while still maintaining the look of the room. I'll be sure to tell the staff how much you appreciated their warm hospitality.

Thank you!

Reviewed 13 June 2018

We recently enjoyed a lovely night at The Francis and a fantastic dinner and brunch at the hotel's restaurant. This boutique hotel is located in a renovated historic home in Portland's west end. The rooms have been tastefully updated and furnished in a modern style. While it is located slightly off the beaten path, one can still easily walk to the many restaurants and active nightlife in the Arts District or Old Port with the valuable benefit of getting a restful sleep away from the last night clamor of the boisterous crowds. Of course one need go no further than the hotel's main floor to have a fabulous meal at Bolster, Snow & Co. The service in both the hotel and restaurant is exemplary!

Anthony D, Owner at The Francis, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2018

Beth,

Thank you so much for your kind words and so glad you took in all that we have to offer. You had both brunch and dinner in one trip and we can't thank you enough given there are so many options in Portland. We can't wait to have you back,

All the best,