US$273
  • Restaurant
US$266
  • Pool
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$299/night.

US$274
US$311
Priceline
  • Pool
US$353
All reviewsmini barchef nickoriginal woodworkboutique hotelmodern comfortsold mansionbath productscomfortable accommodationshardwood floorson site parkinga lovely staywithin walking distancehistoric buildingking suitespacious roomwest endthird floor
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The Francis is a beautiful place near downtown Portland Maine. All of the rooms are unique and we loved hours. We were traveling with two other couples and everyone found their rooms to be spectacular. The people running the hotel were very friendly and helpful. If you stay here keep in mind that just a couple of doors down is the Roma Café. We drove all over town looking for dinner and ended up back at this café for one of the best feels we had on our trip

Room Tip: I think our room number was 101 or possibly 102 but we had our own private balcony which was very nice
Anthony D, Owner at The Francis, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Ronaldo,

Thank you for your kind review and we are very happy your entire party enjoyed their stay. Please come again.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Made a second trip to The Francis, but this time in early summer, which was a perfect time to visit Portland. The room was incredibly elegant and contemporary while in a retrofitted historic building with high ceilings. Separate rooms for bathing and toilet, which I love. The staff was attentive but discreet, and we sat and had drinks in a drawing room with a fireplace. The first night we ate at the hotel's newly opened restaurant, Bolster, Snow & Co., which was our best meal all weekend...amazing cocktails too...thanks to the pretty blonde bartender. Location is perfect...we walked all around town right from the door. Couldn't recommend The Francis more highly!

Room Tip: lower level suites are extremely private and spacious
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Anthony D, Owner at The Francis, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Mbw,

Thank you so much for your review and even more importantly your second visit. We are really honored you chose to stay with us twice with all the options in Portland. I will make sure to tell the staff how much you enjoyed their work and we cannot wait to have you back again.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I was only going to be in Portland for a few days and wanted accommodation where I could walk everywhere if I wanted but had parking, too. What a find. The room was smallish but very modern with all the amenities you'd want. I especially liked how they texted me when the room was ready - have that point of contact was handy when my friend's flight was cancelled and needed a place to stay overnight. I texted them to tell them my friend would be arriving and to please let her into the room (I was out with friends for the evening). They confirmed via text it wouldn't be a problem. So easy.
There's a fabulous coffee shop right across the street, too.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank stewartallen2018
Anthony D, Owner at The Francis, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Stewart,

It was so nice to meet you during your stay and so glad you found our location to be perfect for your trip. We were happy to accommodate your guest and we hope to have you both back the next time you're in Portland.

Have a great summer.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

This hotel offers the opportunity to stay in a beautiful building that has been painstakingly restored. Quality work was done throughout. Modern bathroom and shower, thick towels, nice robes, comfortable bed, spacious room, good WiFi, and coffee at the front desk. Nice sitting area for visiting. Situated in a trendy neighborhood with interesting restaurants and other fine old buildings. Opportunity for nice walks down to the water and to parks. The only disappointment was that although the hardwood floors and spare furnishings make everything seem clean, there is not much attention to detail amongst the housekeeping staff. Our bed was made up every day and towels changed, but dirty wine glasses and used towels were not picked up. Shower gel and toilet paper ran out. There were sticky spots on the floor. Truthfully, even less expensive hotels do a better job of freshening rooms, so this was surprising given how carefully the building had been renovated and the price they were charging.

2  Thank thinktravelCA
Anthony D, Owner at The Francis, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

ThinkTravel,

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us your feedback on your trip. You are correct about your refresh. We did not meet our own standards and thus let you down in the process. We have addressed these issues as of yesterday with all staff and did some refreshes together so everyone is on the same page. I am glad you found the rest of your stay comfortable and we hope to have you back.

All the best,

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My husband and me booked a long weekend trip to Portland, and found this hotel with terrific reviews, so I booked it. It’s a newly renovated old mansion, that maintains everything beautiful about an old home, with modern touches in our room. I booked a king room, which was on the third floor. Our room was huge, decorated minimally in an elegant way. The bathroom and shower were wonderful. If I had to complain about anything, I’d say the bathroom lighting was too dark for applying makeup. Maybe adding a lighted makeup mirror on the wall would be a great fix. Overall, we were very pleased with this boutique hotel, very warm and welcoming staff and beautiful accommodations. We’ve been to Portland many times, usually staying at bigger hotels, but we both think this was a great find! We will be back for sure.

1  Thank trishct2017
Anthony D, Owner at The Francis, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Trish,

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us your review and we would love to have you back. Your feedback on the dim lights is noted and we have been trying to figure out the best way to incorporate brighter lights while still maintaining the look of the room. I'll be sure to tell the staff how much you appreciated their warm hospitality.

Thank you!