All reviews gathering place somes sound quiet hours coffee and pastries camping experience waterfront site wooden platform rent kayaks hot water great camping catching crabs bring quarters local bakeries could hear a pin drop bathroom and shower facilities minute shower tent campers
Reviewed 20 June 2018 via mobile

Who are these knuckleheads saying this is a family-friendly campsite? They must have some of those free range children that are out of control when they go outside of the home. This is an outstanding property run by a very professional staff headed by the owner Owen. They have bent over backwards to make our stay amazing. We drove all the way from California to stay here two weeks. We have a tent on the back of our truck and we brought our motorcycles to ride the beautiful Maine coast and up into Nova Scotia. Owen and his crew have been nothing but gracious. We are unable to move our truck because the tent is attached to it and they were kind enough to deliver firewood to our site multiple times. The cleanliness and beauty of this Campground can't be described in this small review. If you like to bicycle or kayak or any other number of outdoor activities then this is the place you want a base out of. A family-owned Campground with a certain amount of pride and what they share with their visitors. I would love to have a campground like this on the West Coast and someday hopefully I will find it. Until then I can only hope to come back someday. And I would like to mention Matthew and Celeste and they're amazing boys. They work in the campsite and stay across from my site. I have enjoyed visiting with them and they are thoroughly delightful. And I can't go without mentioning their cat bacon. I miss my cat who is back in California and they have let me visit their cat repeatedly. Bacon is adorable because everybody loves bacon. Come here if you want a prime camping experience. Dave G

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank dave g
Reviewed 18 June 2018

Families beware! The staff is rude and unfriendly and the mantra is "Children are seen and not heard." We have four kids and were told by two different staff members that our children were being too loud during the hours of 3:30-7pm (the only time we were at the campsite - we went hiking/biking in the mornings at Acadia, and the kids went to bed at 7:30pm). One staff asked our 3 year old to "whisper" whenever she was outside, and also said that the ages of our children were a "problem." I countered with the fact that I had called before we came to make sure the campground was family friendly -- her reply was that it was very family friendly, but our family was the problem. Our older boys wanted to bike around the campground and a different staff member told them they weren't allowed. Our children are 7, 6, 5, and 3. We have been camping for 5 years (usually twice a year at various state parks) and this is the first and only campground that we have received these complaints. We will not be back.

I should add, if you have a dog you will be most welcome, and the dog will be allowed to bark at all hours.

Room tip: Choose another campground if you don't want to be harassed by employees.
Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank lucasc338
Owen C, Owner at Mount Desert Campground, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2018

Thanks for your comments. Although quiet hours are between 10pm and 7am, in this case we had to respond to comments and complaints from other guests. Unrestrained, unremitting screaming is not allowed at any time of the day as it is not reasonable and it does not demonstrate due consideration toward your neighbors. Bike riding is always allowed on our roads. Bikes may not be used to trample/destroy the delicate mosses and other flora off the roads and between campsites.

Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

We stayed here for several nights, this past summer. What a beautiful campground! Usually, I am very wary of private campgrounds. I don't enjoy camping next to other people. I don't enjoy hearing their noise, or smelling their smoke. This campground is serenely beautiful. If you are looking to party with friends, don't bother coming here. There are quiet hours, and they are enforced.
The wooded site that we stayed at was large and private. My kids loved playing hide and seek in the woods. They also loved catching crabs at the dock, and kayaking around the island. The tent platform was plenty large enough for our large family tent. We didn't get wifi at our site, but did, at the Gathering Place. The bathrooms are very clean! Be sure to bring your quarters, for tbe showers. We are looking forward to returning, this summer.

Date of stay: August 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
4  Thank sketcet
Reviewed 1 February 2018

We have been tent campers since we were married. On the tip of a friend we tried out MDCG in 1986 and loved the campground (and Acadia NP) so much we have been back every year since. This summer will be #33. Our kids grew up coming here and now we expect our granddaughters to join us soon. This a family run campground for families (families of all definitions). Sites are awesome; bathrooms even better - they clean them 3-4 times a day. And being located in the center of the island you can get anywhere easily. And being right on Somes Sound (saltwater) means you get the full advantage of the Down East coastline.

Room tip: Waterfront sites are wonderful but can be hard to get in July and August. All sites are nicely wooded.
Date of stay: July 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Bruce A
Reviewed 31 January 2018

This past summer marked our 16th year in a row at Mount Desert Campground. At the end of our very first week there we were lucky enough to be given the option to reserve A14+ for the same week the following year so we figured why not? We were young, kid free & love the outdoors. We have not missed a week since! This campground calls us (and so many others) back year after year. It is such a special place run by special people. You will not have a better camping experience anywhere else. We now have 2 children who love it just as much as we do. Each site has it's own personality, is private & is well cared for. The bathrooms are always clean & The Gathering Place is very cozy.

Date of stay: August 2017