“Okay but not great”

Price range: US$5 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Description: Established in 1956 on busy Route One long before that stretch became bustling and busy with Kittery's outlet shops, Bob’s was the locals' golden fried standard. Now Bob's is a favorite spot for locals and travelers alike. We hear it from our guests: no trip to Maine is complete without a meal at Bob's Clam Hut.Bob's is committed to serving traditional Maine fried seafood with straightforward simplicity. Our clams are always fresh, which means daily deliveries--we're too small to store more than that anyway. We use "specials," which are clams hand-selected for consistent size and quality. We follow the original Bob's recipes, including the famous tartar sauce. Customer favorites include Bob's New England Clam Chowder, Lobster Stew, the traditional Bob's fried clams, and the Lillian fried clams. The volume of fryolator oil we go through amazes our suppliers--our oil cleanliness standards are second to none. Our staff uses the same cook-to-order system that Bob and his family developed way back when the Clam Hut first opened.Open for lunch and dinner year round from 11:00.
Reviewed 28 June 2018

I had the fish and chips which was fried Haddock. It was OK - I've had better and I've had worse. Reasonably priced for 6 pieces and I liked the outdoor tables both in front and back of the restaurant.

Write a ReviewReviews (1 553)

99 - 103 of 1 553 reviews

Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

We waned an authentication Maine meal and Bob"s was definitely it. I had the lobster roll accompanied by Aries and clam chowder. My husband enjoyed fish and chips. Both were delicious. However, although I asked three times if we had plasticware, I arrived back to my hotel to find I had spoonful the soup, the most important of the wares. It was a busy shack in a busy part of Kittery, right in the middle of the shopping district. Definitely, filled the stomachs of these hungry travelers.

Reviewed 24 June 2018

Bob's is rustic Maine at it's best. The Clams were best ever. Scallops were very good too. The price was a bit steep but there is a lot of food in those cardboard boxes.

Reviewed 23 June 2018 via mobile

Stopped here on our way to Freeport. Very busy place. Kinda expensive but the servings are good sized. There are picnic tables outside. We tried the whole clams, both Bob's and Lillian style were good. The crab cakes and fries are good too. Cole slaw is not good. I would go back again

Reviewed 23 June 2018

We asked a local were to get the best clam chowder, and without hesitation, he mentioned Bob's Clam Hut. We were in the area at lunchtime and agreed with the recommendation. The down side is that it is on a noisy and busy highway, so outside dining is not relaxing.

Been to Bob's Clam Hut? Share your experiences!