“Super-Cozy Atmosphere, Interesting Menu”

Timber Kitchen and Bar
Ranked #1 of 194 Restaurants in Bangor
Price range: US$10 - US$33
Reviewed 15 July 2018 via mobile

I was picking up my boyfriend from the bus station in Portland (actually the easiest way to get to Downeast Maine from Albany, NY if you don’t want to drive eight hours straight) and wanted a cozy spot with interesting food for our reunion dinner. Portland abounds with such eateries but I had my eye on a restaurant in Bangor, Timber, that was only an hour away from the cottage where we stay.

Located in a Residence Inn, the kitchen was open till ten for full menu, which was good because we got there at 9:30. Outside was a lounging area with sofas and a fire pit, a nice touch for the cool Maine nights. Inside the restaurant the walls and ceiling were decorated with grained wood and there was also a glassed- in, free-standing fireplace, which we chose to sit near. There were modern wooden chairs and leather chairs and padded banquettes draped in red plaid reminiscent of Pendleton blankets. Overall the effect was elegant Western or elegant outdoorsy, not cheesy with barbed wire and lariats, or the walls covered with farm implements( although that could be cute in some circumstances). The music was also interesting and understated.

Definitely have a look at the menu online, because there are a variety of soups, salads, appetizers, as well as main courses with interesting touches. Many included seafood in non- seafood classics, such as a lobster Cobb salad. I went with the seafood stew in a hearty, savory tomato base and my boyfriend chose the huge veal chop with lightly cooked asparagus and puréed sweet potato and sweet potato fries that looked like tiny chow mein noodles scattered around the plate. He loved his dish and I enjoyed the stew of big shrimp, mussels, clams, and a lobster tail. I took the remaining sauce home to make Manhattan chowder.

We shared an apple crisp-type dessert that had lightly cooked apple slices in a type of pastry covered with the crumbly “crisp” topping, which was then topped with a scoop of vanilla gelato and caramel strands. On the side was whipped cream with a baked? dried? slice of apple. I find the current culinary craze of presenting an ingredient in more than one way (here, the sweet potato, the apple) to be really enjoyable, and I wouldn’t be surprised if that occurs in other dishes of Timber’s interesting menu. I want to go back!

Write a ReviewReviews (1 026)

43 - 47 of 1 026 reviews

Reviewed 15 July 2018 via mobile

We happened upon Timber after a night's stay at the Residence Inn Marriot that Timber is attached to. We are so happy we did! From the momemt we walked in and were greeted by one to their servers Fred - DEF request him if you can!! - we felt like family. From the rustic contemporary theme and tones of the atmosphere, even the dinnerware was on point, to the cheery and friendly staff, and lets not forget the most important thing...the food! We went on a Sunday, Brunch Day! I had the "Super Food" Avacado Toast - to die for! My hubby had the Hunter's Breakfast: eggs, perfectly cooked bacon, and deliciois beans. We shared the Maine Wuld Blueberry pancakse - Yuuuuuuummmmy!! We cant say enough good, positive things about it- do yourself a favor & check it out if you are ever in Bangor!!

1  Thank msjsrs524
Reviewed 15 July 2018 via mobile

Amazing service and amazing food. Fred and Jason were attentive and saw to our every need. Our second time here and will be back on our way through.

Reviewed 14 July 2018 via mobile

I am writing this review after my third visit to Timber in a 10 day span. The menu is packed with tasty offerings to please a wide variety of food preferences. The wait staff is friendly and cheerful, and provided excellent information about the menu choices. The warm breads and seasoned butter served at the start of the meal, the seasonal soups and the deliciously flavored entrees were topped off with delicious elegantly plated dessert creations!
If you are in the area, don’t miss the opportunity to try this lumberjack themed restaurant! Ask to be seated outside, where warm blankets are provided if the Maine air is a bit chilly.

Reviewed 14 July 2018 via mobile

Pricy, ($32.00 for steak and potatoes) but that aside... The service was great and the food is outstanding.

Been to Timber Kitchen and Bar? Share your experiences!