Open today: 09:00 - 20:00

Reviews (1 950)
1 950 results
1 526
1 526
All reviews gift shop our tour guide bette davis new orleans river road live oaks southern charm mint juleps oak trees baton rouge the main house great tour civil war worth the trip plantation burnside louisiana
Selected filters
27 - 32 of 1 950 reviews
Reviewed 5 April 2021 via mobile

Great way to spend a day. My partner and I are staying at the Oak Alley Plantation for 5 days (which is Wonderful) but wanted to explore the other nearby plantation especially since they offered an Easter brunch.

We walked the beautiful grounds and then took the tour with Patrick. He was a great guide (and I've been a guide in multiple jobs); he knew his talking points, kept conversation active, had his jokes up his sleeve and kept us moving but at an appropriate pace. Mild mannered, polite and very informative. Answered all questions spot on. It would of been nice to get more history in regards to the slavery side of things (all the tours seem to focus on the owners and I feel like there is a lopsidedness to the history being taught to tourists) but that's not his fault and I'm sure due to the sensitivity of the subject.

Brunch (food) was good (not amazing for the cost) but you are paying for the atmosphere, which you 100% get. Brunch under the oaks, women in festive hats, and just a classic southern feel. Definitely a highlight of our trip this far.

I'm happy to be staying in the quiet, rural feeling Oak Alley but for a bit more stimulation and a more Louisiana touristy feel this place did the trick.

Every staff member was very friendly (even though all of them, which we found funny, "sighed" when asked how there day was going (busy) but after some conversation it turned a bit more friendly and fun.

Grounds again, and picture perfect so be ready to take some fun pictures.

Reviewed 1 April 2021

Our tour guide Cheryl did a fantastic job explaining the history of the plantation. Beautiful furnishings and gardens.

Reviewed 31 March 2021

My wife and I really enjoyed our visit to Houmas House. The tour of the house was lead by a very knowledgeable docent and the stories she shared added much to the tour. Had a lovely lunch and cocktail at the restaurant - a building that although it was only 7 years old was built to reflect the architecture of the times.

Reviewed 31 March 2021

Well worth a visit - the guided tour of the beautiful main house is excellent, and I lucked out, as there were only three of us on the tours. The gardens alone are worth a visit - full of Greek- and Roman-revival statuary and fountains. And do stop in the Turtle Bar for a drink. I didn't linger in the bar itself (although it's very atmospheric and would be a great place to linger with friends and family), as a crowd of loud, unmasked patrons was holding court, but I took my drink outside and strolled around the gardens.

If you can, go on a sunny day, in the late afternoon. Do the Big House tour (which is $20 or so, with some discounts available), and after enjoying the gardens and a drink or two, take the walkway to the bank overlooking the Mississippi just before sunset.

You'll be glad you did.

Reviewed 29 March 2021

The history of the building was good. It would have been nice to learn more of the sugar cane production, slave history, and time period life