“Great Little Hike”

Salato Wildlife Education Center
Ranked #2 of 36 things to do in Frankfort
Reviewed 2 December 2014

I really love Salato Wildlife Education Center! The Visitors' Center is open in the Spring, Summer and Fall but the hiking trails are open year round. There are also two large ponds for fisherpeople. I like the trails - there are no bad ones - just depends on how much time you want to spend. None are too strenuous but just enough to feel like you've gotten some exercise. It's a great place to take small children as the trails are well marked and there are no dangerous overhangs or cliffs. The center is full of really interesting stuff for kids and adults alike - and it's not unusual to get to meet a live wild animal or bird up close and personal!

Date of experience: September 2014
"live animals"
in 6 reviews
"fishing pond"
in 4 reviews
"indoor and outdoor exhibits"
"walking trails"
in 7 reviews
"local animals"
"bison"
in 8 reviews
"great place for the family"
"children and adults"
in 11 reviews
"picnic"
in 16 reviews

Reviewed 11 November 2014

Part wildlife experience, part nature hike, part museum, part educational experience, and all fun. It's a great place to learn about and experience Kentucky wildlife, animal and plant.

Date of experience: November 2014
5  Thank 739edwinc
Reviewed 29 October 2014

After we had some trouble finding where in the park this place was located, this place was well above our expectations and we spent much more time than we had anticipated there. The outside areas are really well kept, the animals have large spaces and there even are trails on the outside if that's your thing. The exhibits inside were great and usually answers which ever question you might have, before you ask them (i.e why the snapper turtle had such limited space). The bee hive was also great to see. We even got the visit for free as they couldn't process a foreign credit card that they, but we gave what we had in loose cash in support instead. Well recommended for both kids and adults!

Date of experience: October 2014
5  Thank Thomas1406
Reviewed 29 September 2014

My friend and I had planned slightly to take this trail. We took water which was a good idea. The animal area was closed on Sunday. We were disappointed. We took the long path but there are shorter cutoff trails. Trail was a little tricky , it had tree roots and curves that made it necessary to keep your eyes on the path. Quiet, and had a sense of historical background. It made for a nice day. It took us about 3 or 4 hours round trip. We are mildly in shape in our late 50s /60,s. We paced ourselves. Nice picnic area for having lunch before hiking or fishing. They should have maps at beginning of trail. Many will need one.

Date of experience: August 2014
1  Thank Rita A
See more reviews
Reviewed 14 September 2014

My wife and I took our granddaughter to the center one Saturday for a visit. It was my first visit to the Center, even though I have lived near the Center for 60 plus years. I enjoyed the Center greatly, but the real thrill I had was the joy my granddaughter had it seeing some things for the first time in her life.

For a young one seeing a bear, bison or bobcat for the my time was a site I will always remember.
Employees are always close by with questions. I highly recommend this for a family outing.

Date of experience: July 2014