“Catered our Family Reunion One Day Gathering - perfect!”

Zarda Bar-B-Q & Catering Company
Ranked #9 of 118 Restaurants in Lenexa
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Description: Zarda's famous Bar-B-Q has become a Kansas City tradition whether it's for tonight's dinner, an office picnic, a big family gathering or an important business meeting. Since 1976. We have everything you need to make your gathering perfect! Select from fork-tender ribs, smoked turkey and ham, and even our juicy whole chicken. Our tasty sides are always a hit! Whether you love our cheesy corn, famous beans or crisp cole slaw, we have something for every guest on your list! We offer catering or drive-thru pickup for your convenience, making your bbq meal easy and delicious! Treating out of town guests? Be sure to stop in for Kansas City's Classic BBQ - Zarda! With two locations to serve you in both Blue Springs and Lenexa, there's sure to be a Zarda nearby to cater to your needs - and bbq cravings!
Reviewed 28 June 2018

They were on time; set up quickly and efficiently; everything we ordered was there - including items such as sugar substitute for the unsweet tea. We had the "picnic" and the food was delicious. Coleslaw was 'okay' - more of a vinegar flavor but the meat was awesome and so was the sauce. It was a perfect fit for our group - thank you!

Reviewed 24 April 2018

I'm rating this Very Good, though just barely. A little history before my review continues: in conjunction with the NCAA Men's Final Four our local KC paper set up brackets to judge local BBQ restaurants' burnt ends. There were 16 entrants that were purportedly selected based on reader input. Some of the top BBQ restaurants in KC were included as well as some that are a bit lesser known. Frankly, I was surprised that Zarda was one of the entrants. I probably hadn't been to a Zarda for over 20 years and have been surprised that they are still in business because 20 years ago their food was so bad they had to put coupons in the Yellow Pages. There are so many excellent BBQ joints in the metro area that, but for this burnt ends contest, I'd have never visited Zarda again. Much to my surprise Zarda kept advancing through the bracket and was the ultimate winner. What I learned was that Zarda seemingly won based on an aggressive campaign seeking votes but even with that knowledge I figured there had to be something to it. My first visit was about 6 pm on a Thursday and they were already sold out of burnt ends (a good sign since places selling cubed brisket as burnt ends never run out). We tried again on a Monday night (a very slow restaurant night around here) and went at 4:30 pm though, in retrospect, we didn't need to go that early as there were few people there even until we left closer to 6. I should also mention that the burnt ends dinner and sandwich are at a reduced price until the end of April. We each got the burnt ends dinner that comes with two sides. The burnt ends were okay but pretty dry. I'm not sure how long they'd been sitting around but they shouldn't have been this dry. The sides were decent sized and we had baked beans (good), cheesy corn (good), mac and cheese (okay but dry) and fries that they cooked crispy per our order (very good). One of our dining companions had the slaw and said it was very good. It was vinegar-based, not mayonnaise. You order at the counter and they call your number when it's ready. You're not expected to bus your dishes at the end of the meal. Our beverage was water and were given very large glasses - the same that the soft drinks are served in. The dining room was large and very clean. I've attached a photo of our meal without the cheesy corn as they forgot it and I had to go back to the counter to get it separately.

Bottom line: I wouldn't go here if you're just visiting but if you live here I think it's worth trying and forming your own opinion. You should call first to see if they have burnt ends if that's what you're after.

Thanks for reading. I’ll appreciate a thumbs up below if you’ve found this helpful.

Reviewed 16 April 2018

We received the best service at the front counter from a girl named Grace(i think that was her name??) she really made us feel welcome and was very informative about the product at Zarda!! she went the extra mile and we told her manager how much we appreciated her attention to detail and her welcoming attitude!! was a nice change!!

Reviewed 16 April 2018

This establishment greats you with a wonderful aroma of wood smoke as you walk up to the front door. They have many stations to take your order. Their special Burnt tips, bbq chicken and pulled pork were just ok. But their pork spare ribs were excellent.

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

Based on a recent award and other reviews, we were excited to try Zarda. We (especially my husband) love Barbecue. We have tried and enjoyed St. Louis style, Memphis Style, Kansas City style, Carolina style and Texas style-we know good barbecue when we taste it. This is not it. The burnt ends here are supposed to be award winning. Nope. Very fatty (large chunks!) and not crispy at all. The coleslaw and cheesy corn were very tasty but the meats left much to be desired.