“Kansas Family Reunion”
other travellers have booked this property
Cabin with an ocean theme - Grouse Valley Lodge - Sustaining project of Lighthouse Library/ECCRC
Comfortable bed - good night sleep!
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
Comfortable bed - good night sleep!
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Shellma20...
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Kansas Family Reunion”
Reviewed 11 August 2015 for a stay in July 2015

Although I'm not from Kansas, my family was holding a reunion there because my Aunt Dorothy (yes, she lives there) is 93 yrs old & doesn't like to travel anymore. My family had rented a bed & breakfast in Winfield, so I decided to look for something close by as to relieve the overflow because there were only 6 rooms there, as well as something a little less pricey. Well, I couldn't have asked for anything better! This cabin was only 20 minutes away, was very reasonably priced, Lynn treated me wonderfully, the proceeds go to a good cause & even though it's small, it had everything we needed & it was just enough room for my brother & I.

Unfortunately, the rest of my family wasn't treated with the same respect at the b&b over in Winfield & from what I've seen, Ken owns more than one over there so beware. My cousin Joan was so upset about the way he treated them, that she said that's not the way people from Kansas are & that she wanted us to see how the real people from Kansas treat you. I said don't worry about that, I found that in Dexter where I was treated like a queen! Anyways, I am so happy that I chose the cabin & will definitely stay there if I ever come through that way again. The only suggestion my brother made was to get some curtains up in the loft area, as he was hit with the sun shining through early in the morning.

Don't forget to go to Henry's Candy which is right up the road from the cabin. A few miles south is a beautiful waterfall at Cowley Lake that my family that lives near here, had never even been to. Thanks for the hospitality Lynn, you made me feel very at home & welcomed. You definitely outshined what could have been a very disappointing stay if I had stayed with the rest of my family over in Winfield. May God bless your endeavor.

Travelling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
20 Aug 2015
Dear Kansas Family Reunion Visitors: We are so happy that you had a very enjoyable stay. It is very peaceful here and we so appreciate your business to help us provide literacy programs in our community through funds generated from the cabin. We have certainly noted your great suggestion about getting some curtains for upstairs in the loft area. We have some great curtains & have simply not made the time to get them up. We will take care of that today! Others have had so much fun up there looking out at the stars at night and such. But you are so right about the sun shining in - which is not good if you want to sleep in. We love the slanted windows upstairs & guests can tie back the curtains any time they want to let the sun in. It's a great cabin year-round. Thanks again for staying and for your great suggestion. You are welcome back any time. Sincerely, Lynn N.
Willa B
“A-DORABLE!”
Reviewed 11 June 2015 for a stay in June 2015
person found this review helpful

Honestly, I was a bit worried following my GPS to this rental. And if I hadn't seen the pictures and caught a glimpse of it, I would have never found it. But I LOVED it! It had just about everything I could have asked for! A few notes to fellow travellers: bring a bit of charcoal and something to grill. They have a great set-up right outside. And if you use the stove, turn on the fan AND crack the kitchen window a bit, or you'll set the fire alarm off!
The bed (downstairs) was super soft and comfortable. The location was quiet and fairly private. I will definitely be back. Maybe this time without spoiled teenagers who don't appreciate the novelty of sleeping in a loft! Four stars only because my kids were a little too old to sleep on the thin mattresses in the loft very comfortably, but that's just a personal thing. This rental is VERY worth the money if you're attending anything within a 1 hour distance.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness
Travelling group: Teenagers
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Older travelers Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
11 Apr 2016
We appreciate your mentioning there being about everything you need for a fun stay. The kitchen is stocked with pans, dishes, etc. (and even a little food). The grill outside is always there for guests. We keep charcoal in the store on the site and there are some food items in the store as well. We appreciate your mention of your teens in the loft. The loft is a real adventure for most kids. It is probably true that older teens may bypass the novelty for comfort - ha. Past guests have stacked the mattresses upstairs (one on top of the other) for more comfort. Of course you can get several kids up in the loft area, so you may want to bring your own added sleeping bags or something if you want more than the mattresses that are up there. We do provide sheets and blanket in the loft of course. Downstairs, the sofa will pull out into a 3/4 bed. Your older teens may prefer that option. Most travelers enjoy looking at the stars out the loft windows for sure. It's an adventure. Little kids for sure enjoy the loft. We do suggest that no children under the age of maybe 5 use the loft as it is pretty high up there. Toddlers usually sleep downstairs on the couch for sure. We have had adults who opted to sleep in the loft instead of the bed downstairs, so for sure it is a personal preference. Next time, let us know when you bring your teens & we will provide a DVD player for upstairs. We also have a fan & other things, just ask. We don't want anyone uncomfortable, so we will certainly take a look upstairs. one bed is soft with a thicker mattress. The extra one is a little thinner. Downstairs, all guests have praised the comfy bed. Thanks again & come again any time. (Next time, pop some popcorn & make some hot chocolate or sun tea & maybe that will make up for things. It is true - the loft is not for everyone. It really is a long way up there. If you are afraid of heights, the loft is not for you. We also have an overflow sleeping area with a very comfy option. It is listed online as "Overflow to the Grouse Valley Lodge". You might check that out next time as well. Hopefully you caught a beautiful Kansas sunset while you were here. Thanks again.
Dexter KS
Reviewed 12 March 2014 for a stay in December 2013

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Check-in / front desk Service
Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
8 Jul 2016
We provide a cozy cabin with "everything" you need to have a fun & enjoyable stay. We try to keep the price down so families don't have the added worry of funds. Glad you had an enjoyable stay. This area is always quite, peaceful, and safe. Thanks for providing funding for the nonprofit Lighthouse Library. 100% of funds for your stay went to help fund the nonprofit. You are welcome any time.
Wichita Kansas
Reviewed 2 October 2013 for a stay in September 2013

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Check-in / front desk
Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
Recommended for:
A romantic getaway Older travelers
8 Jul 2016
We are so thankful that you have a peaceful weekend. This area is so pretty in all four seasons. The scenic drives to the south & to the west are extra lovely in the fall and spring. Winter is beautiful & the gas fireplace adds to the coziness. In summer, we provide a free swim pass & the nearby park makes a great picnic area as does the large deck on the site. You are welcome back any time!
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
US$54
Night
Week
Book Now
Or, send the owner a message
This property has Payment Protection
Never pay for your holiday rental by wire transfer.
Learn more about paying safely.
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing