“always satisfying”

Viva La Bamba
Ranked #19 of 95 Restaurants in Urbandale
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 28 June 2018

This is a regular go to place.neighborhood restaurant. Portions are large and always arrive piping hot. I had the Camarones Ala Diabla - the shrimp were perfectly cooked and the heat level was appropriate for 'Diabla' My friend had the Tacos al Carbon and really liked them. Service was friendly and efficient.
The menu seems to cover all the bases from the usual suspects to some more rarely seen authentic dishes.
Prices are reasonable, the ambiance is good, the decor is Mexican without being all pinatas and mariachi band.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

Traveled to Des Moines for work from Southern California, and not surprisingly, was craving Mexican food. I thought I would have to wait until my return to get some tasty food but I found this little jewel down the street from the hotel.
When I walked I felt like I was back in Cali at one of our many restaurants. The décor was standard and I started feeling relaxed. We were seated and were presented with chips, salsa…and wait….refried beans. Nice touch. Additionally, each person at the table gets their own salsa dish to dip…Awesome to not worry where everyone’s mouth has been at the table.
I ordered the chili Colorado. Fantastic. I washed it down with a jalapeño margarita- just enough tequila, just enough spice.
Will definitely visit again on my next trip.

Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

We used to visit Viva often but after a name change from Viva La Bamba to Viva and possible change in ownership or management everything has gone down hill! The margaritas, salsa, guacamole and ground beef are now terrible. A waiter told us they had changed their tequila and mix in the margaritas. They seem to be cutting corners and quality! The ground beef looks and tastes as if it's full of filler and not 100% ground beef! Extremely gross, so burritos, tacos and anything that is supposed to have ground beef in it is now a weird textured pink tinged stuff.
Food and drinks were so bad on our last visit most it was left on the table. We were unable to finish it was so bad!
The seats in the booths are also broken down and in desperate need of repair!
It was a favorite place to go but not any more!

Reviewed 14 March 2017

Ok, so fht e booths are a little ratty but that's trivial. what matters is superior TX-Mex food --maybe the best in the metro area. The Carne Azada is huge and delious as are the encildas. Gotta try it

Reviewed 4 March 2017

Second visit to Viva after several months. Service is friendly, decor is a mixture of Mexi-kitsch and authentic. Most importantly the food is good, prepared well, delivered quickly (tho' that might depend on what you order)
I'm a sucker for Chiles Rellenos and the shrimps and chicken versions are both good. Friend had a chimichanga and said it was great.
Prices are reasonable
Is it the best Mexican in the Des Moines area -- probably not, but it's good and it's handy!

Been to Viva La Bamba? Share your experiences!