“Delicious All Around”
Review of The Prairie Canary

The Prairie Canary
Reserve with OpenTable
The Prairie Canary is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 40 Restaurants in Grinnell
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

The Admissions Office at Grinnell College recommended The Prairie Canary. Great advice! Salads, soups, sandwiches, and burgers were all excellent. My family members wanted to sample everyone else’s meal. A must stop if you are in Grinnell!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Simple but clean space. Great menu. Our server was sweet and brought us small tastes of the soups! Creme brulee was delicious. I would recommend to friends and we will return!

Reviewed 1 June 2018

My husband & I ate at Prairie Canary for the first time on 5/31/18. The food was great. My husband had the Cubano & fries, & I had the build your own burger with a canary salad for my side.

The food wasn't my issue it was the server we had. A young girl sat us a our table, gave us 2 glasses of water & left. Didn't ask us if we wanted anything to drink or not just assumed water was good enough. Went over to a table with 2 ladies & young child. Messed around with the child at the table. We sat there for about 10 mins as more customers came in to be seated. We were ready to order after the first 5 mins. She walked past us 5 times not acknowledging us sitting at the table to order. When she finally came to ask us what we wanted to order we told her what we wanted to drink as well as our food. Still waiting for our drinks, my husband had to stare her down as she was just standing by the computer to places orders doing nothing. We got our food, ate it. She never came back to re-fill our drinks or to even ask how the food was at all the whole time we were there. Sat there waiting for our bill. She proceeds to go over to the table of the 2 ladies & young child takes the child to the bathroom, proceeds to come back & tells the mother she didn't have to go.I asked my husband what she was doing as he could see the bar and such. He said she's just standing there doing nothing. We sit & we wait still no bill, no stopping buy our table at all. Goes back over to the 2 ladies table takes there payment & the little girl to go ring out the bill. After she is done giving the 2 ladies their bill she walks right past us again, not even looking at us. An older lady behind at a table proceeds to say "ma'am" to her 4 times waving her arm as she's walking past her. The older lady gets her attention & informs her all she wants is her bill. Then she proceeds to look at us & asks us if we need anything else, my husband said just the bill & i said since you are so slow. She brings us our bill and proceeds to say to me "I'm doing what i can ma'am". I proceeded to tell her" that taking someones child to the bathroom & to ring up their check is not your job & shouldn't of happened".

I have worked in every part of a restaurant-- waitress, kitchen, dishwasher, bar & I have a culinary degree. But i have never seen a wait staff take a customers child to the bathroom & to ring out a sale. You just don't do that. You have more things to worry about then taking a customers child to the bathroom. I don't care if they are a friend, family member or what. You are working! I don't like doing reviews because i do nit pick but this just rubbed me the wrong way. The server was more worried about the 2 ladies & child then she was about any other customer she was waiting on. I feel that we were not the only one's there that were not happy as well. I would suggest you training your sever's better or weed out the bad ones.

2  Thank Tera S
Reviewed 26 May 2018

Had a reservation (made 2 months prior) for a family dinner for 12 on the eve of Grinnell 2018 graduation. Food was good, service was better. They have a downstairs too with bar! Very cool - literally. It was cooler than the upper floor main restaurant. We arrived early and went down there for a drink (or two). We recommend.

Reviewed 12 May 2018

We made a reservation for a large party of 20 for a graduation luncheon. The folks here were kind and easy going when making the reservation. When our commencement ceremony ended early, they were more than happy to move the reservation time up by 30 minutes (with very little notice). Once we arrived, Maddie and Tyler took care of us. They were relaxed and efficient with our large group. They were attentive, yet non-intrusive - a perfect blend. Everyone loved the food they ordered. There were great options for our guests ranging in age from 10-86 years. At around 3:00, our group were the last patrons in the restaurant. I asked Maddie if she wanted our group to finish and depart so she and the other servers could go home. She said, "Absolutely not." We stayed a bit longer and had the whole place to ourselves, so were able to share a few memories of the graduate as a group. This was the perfect place for what we needed! I loved the Prairie Canary and can't wait to go back! It was a lovely event. :)