“This is a must-see for the entire family.”

World Food Prize Hall of Laureates
Ranked #11 of 54 things to do in Des Moines
More attraction details
Owner description: The Norman E. Borlaug Hall of Laureates - home of The World Food Prize - is a public museum, educational facility and a place of inspiration for all. This magnificently restored Beaux Arts space celebrates the spirit of giving, emphasizing the importance of global food security.
Useful Information: Stairs / lift, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access
Reviewed 28 June 2018

Since most Americans have no idea where their food comes from, this is a great and beautiful place to take the entire family for some real education. The beautiful Beaux-Arts building is a sight to behold and the honorees of the World Prize deserve every honor.

1  Thank David W
in 9 reviews
"beauty"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 2 June 2018 via mobile

This museum is in what was previously the library so the building and gardens are beautiful. There is so much beautiful art inside. This is about the different people that have made outstanding contributions to agriculture and feeding the world. It’s a must see and the stories that Charlotte Burt told us were so interesting. We couldn’t have asked for a better tour guide. We spent 2 hours here and I recommend you go.

1  Thank Tyke555
Reviewed 28 May 2018

I have to be honest, before my daughter told me she was having her wedding here, I had never heard of the place. I also had no idea what what it was all about. So, let me give you the quick run down. This used to be the Des Moines City Library back in the day, so it has a very "classic" architecture and design to it. The World Food Prize is like the Nobel Peace Prize, but it is given to people whom have contributed to the increase of food in the world. It is awarded once a year. There is some nice history in the building and I'd recommend that you do the official tour to get it all.

But, that wasn't why I was there. I was there for a wedding. It was a perfect place for a wedding or a business event for around 100 people. The beautiful architecture, both inside and outside, make for some stunning backdrops to your shots, especially if you've hired a professional photographer.

3  Thank Joe B
Reviewed 22 March 2018

This was not what we expected. It was interesting. The tour guide was what made it good. I would not go through without a tour guide. Kids would probably be bored.

1  Thank MinnesotaRandy