“great food and service”

Vivian's Diner & Drinks
Ranked #164 of 616 Restaurants in Des Moines
Price range: US$10 - US$35
Description: We are an exciting new restaurant in the heart of downtown Des Moines, located in the Historic Kirkwood Hotel Building. Conveniently located across from Cowles Commons and the Civic Center. We offer classic diner favorites with a fresh modern twist. Brunch is served Tuesday-Friday from 10am-2pm, Saturday and Sunday 8am-3pm. Private parties available.
Reviewed 28 June 2018

Our host had provided us with gift card for here and we weren't sure what to expect. This was a real treat for brunch: huge portions of very eclectic foods.

Tiffany R, Manager at Vivian's Diner & Drinks, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2018

Thank you so much! Stop back soon.

Reviewed 6 June 2018

We ate dinner at Vivian's before a concert at the DM Civic Center. The room is large and attractive, with high ceilings, a white color scheme, and interesting flourishes.

The menu is very broad, so there is something for everyone. I normally don't like big menus, but it would help to satisfy everyone in a large party.

One of our entrees was excellent (Cajun mac & cheese), and the other was just OK. There is a very wide drink menu, with reasonable prices by downtown standards.
Unsolicited, our server asked us if we were attending the show, and offered a 10% price reduction for show goers. I would have never known about that, so appreciated it.

Nothing here was exceptional, but everything was solid and price levels were not outrageous. I wouldn't go here for a special occasion or a memorable dining experience, but it works well for lots of other purposes. I liked it better than many of the recent reviewers and would recommend it.

Tiffany R, Manager at Vivian's Diner & Drinks, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2018

Thank you very much for your review and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 31 May 2018

We ate "brunch" after the farmers market on a Saturday- over memorial weekend- The eggs Benedict was Delicious, the ham and cheese sandwich with soup was tasty and large portions- the chicken salad sandwich was average- we ate outside and it was comfortable and relaxing- The bloody Mary's were OK but very bland - would not order those again- The service was good-

Reviewed 21 May 2018

Didn't have reservation at 5:30, so got sat at a bar looking into the kitchen...don't do that, as you'll have a front row seat to watch what was likely the worst dinner service that I've ever seen. We ordered cheese curds appetizer, a burger, and beef stroganoff. We waited nearly an hour for our food, but we had the pleasure of watching our food get cold right in front of us. We watched food sit there for 15m-35m (not just ours)...and most was being returned to the kitchen, as I assume it was cold like ours. It became laughable. We saw servers bringing the wrong food to tables...consistently! It seemed that so many people were very upset, including us. I asked them to comp the cold food, but they refused. I saw the owner on the news lamenting new parking rules hurting his business....news flash, it's not the parking. We ordered easy quick items as we saw the mayhem. Really glad I didn't order seafood or steak...would have been furious. By the time we left, there were people waiting to get in...felt sorry for them.

Tiffany R, Manager at Vivian's Diner & Drinks, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2018

Hi Warren Thanks for reaching out with your review. I am sorry I do not know why you didn't get your meal comped it should have been. I also don't expect you to understand my business and what happen that night. I am not one to give excuses but in this case I will let you know that right when we were getting busy 2 ovens went down and we were forced to work partially through our prep kitchen which was very confusing and we did have partial orders sit in the window for a longer periods of time. But sometimes things happen and you have to work as hard as you can to get through it the best you can. My staff was working very hard to make the mayhem seem more tolerable, which I give them a lot of credit and high praises for. I hope you give us another chance.
Jeff Duncan Owner.

Reviewed 3 May 2018 via mobile

The staff understood about Celiac, but the food itself was just ok.

I just had a typical breakfast. Eggs, potatoes, bacon, and fruit.

The fruit bowl was five pieces of cantaloupe. That was it. Very underwhelming.

The bacon was three thinly cut slices. They were not very good.

The eggs were good and the potatoes were the highlight, but pretty normal.

While ok, and had zero issues on the Celiac front, wouldn’t recommend as other options in the area which are better.

Tiffany R, Front Office Manager at Vivian's Diner & Drinks, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2018

Thanks James for your feedback, sorry you were under impressed with the food. I hope you try us again and try a signature item and maybe you would like that more than eggs and bacon.
Jeff Duncan