All reviews state park bird feeders buffet line volleyball court third floor room small room playing games play cards chain hotels room was clean outdoor pool baked potato queen bed long weekend room key enjoyable stay refrigerator and microwave
Reviewed 31 January 2017 via mobile

We truly enjoyed the three days and two nights at the Canyon Inn at Spencer, Indiana. We have joined our friends for two for one night specials several times and will be joining them again in mid February 2017. We look forward to the quiet time and great food at the inn.

Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank riffel1307
Reviewed 19 November 2016

I stayed here with a few friends while visiting IU for the weekend. Bloomington hotels cost so much on football weekends, so this was a much more affordable choice, and it's only about 20 minutes away. We arrived after dark and left fairly early in the morning, so we didn't get to explore the grounds. But the inn itself is quaint ... a typical state park inn. Nothing fancy, but quite comfortable. The front desk employees were so friendly and super easy to work with. I made a mistake with my reservation, but they were kind enough to adjust things for me. I really appreciated the good customer service. Our large suite had two queen beds, a sofa bed, a small table with chairs, a mini fridge and a TV. There was plenty of space to move about. The room and bathroom were clean, but as others have said the decor and furnishings are dated. But that adds to the inn's charm, I suppose, because it just feels very comfortable. We met friends in Bloomington for brunch, so we didn't eat at the inn's restaurant, but the menu sure looked good. We enjoyed our quick, overnight stay. I'm guessing a two- or three-day stay would be a relaxing, enjoyable experience! (Oh, the WIFI service was spotty. The connection wasn't very strong.)

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ohiomom15
Randy R, General Manager at Canyon Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2016

Thank you for your review. I hope you have the opportunity to return to Canyon Inn and stay a few days to enjoy all McCormick's Creel State Park has to offer.

Reviewed 13 November 2016

Dated! The outside of The Canyon Inn at McCormick's Creek State Park is very pretty and nice. The landscaping is welcoming and it looks like you should want to stay here. The front desk staff was very friendly and nice ready to help us with anything. However, once we got to our room with an actual key and went inside, the experience went downhill very quick. It looked like you walked into your 85 year old Aunt's spare bedroom that hadn't been cleaned thoroughly in years. The decor was kind of cute but very old. The carpet looked dirty. The bed was not very comfortable and it all made us question why we were staying there. There were spots on the wall in the bathroom that made you realize that the cleaning crew must only touch the tub, sink and toilet. This Inn needs updated and cleaned badly! It wasn't awful and was decent enough to stay one night but I can't imagine ever staying there again. I assume, since it is a State Park Inn, that they have decided not to renovate it because of costs, which is sad. It was a disappointment since the outside is so pretty and the park is just great!

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 November 2016

This is one of seven State Park Inns and it is as beautiful and quaint as a lot of the other ones. They have different types of rooms. I stayed in a historic room and it was just right for one person. Loved the décor and the staff was awesome. Rooms were very clean and the food in the dining room was excellent. Next time I want to eat out where can watch the birds, there is a whole line of windows in the dining room that has feeders outside of them where you can watch the birds and the wildlife. Buffets were excellent.

Room Tip: They have multiple types of rooms so make sure you ask for what would be the best fit for you and your family.
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank Paula W
Reviewed 31 October 2016 via mobile

We didn't stay at the hotel because we were camping at the state park campground. But we wanted to check out the restaurant because we always enjoy the state park inn dining rooms. We were more impressed with this one than most of the others we have tried. They had an evening special of fried chicken, salad & soup bar, potatoes, etc. from their buffet. for $9.99. The chicken was very fresh and hot. They had a nice selections of salads, but best of all was the carrot bisque. It was elegant! The service was very good as well.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple