Open today: 08:30 - 18:00
Review Highlights
Still buzzing from an awesome ride

Booked a 2 hour ride and from the booking to the welcome at the centre, everyone was so friendly... read more

Reviewed 10 December 2023
iantM6456DO
via mobile
A hack with the most spectacular backdrop.

A lovely morning ride with our guide Storm.very competent and attentive. Lovely horses that were... read more

Reviewed 13 May 2023
Jill C

Recommended experiences in and around Simondium
More Info
All reviews morning ride wine tasting horses canters farm lunch
Selected filters
Reviewed 9 February 2016

As part of our two-week honeymoon in South Africa & Kenya, we spent two days in South Africa's winelands, specifically Franschhoek. Cape Winelands Riding was recommended by another horseback riding safari camp we were at, and we scored a personal half-day tour with the owner, Louis. We had very nice horses and visited a really great winery (Backsburg) for a tasting & lunch. The ride was lovely, and although we didn't get a lot of specifics about winemaking on the ride itself, we did get some fun factoids and Louis is a very well-traveled and interesting guy. It would have been nice to maybe visit one more winery in the time we had, but the one we did go to was really high-quality. Time-wise, after the half-day ride, we managed to make it to 3 more wineries, but most close by 4-5 p.m.

Date of experience: January 2016
Reviewed 26 October 2015

I spent a very special week at Cape Winelands riding centre, the whole experience I will never forget, the fantastic horses, very well cared for and loved, the team of staff, Ellen, Martin & Louis just were amazing down to every last detail. My last ride on the day I flew home rather than a "walk in the park" sedate potter we climbed high into the vine yards on a beautiful day and we let the horse go at their own pace - I rode the best horses I have ever ridden here and I flew that day, what a wonderful holiday memory effortless and perfect. Lunch afterwards with yet another glass of unique sunny red wine was good too. I know I will be back - thank you to everyone who made this possible

Date of experience: October 2015
Reviewed 21 September 2015

We called on spec on an overcast day when our plan for walking in the mountains was cancelled because of low cloud. Louis answered the phone and fitted us in for a three hour mountain ride led by the wonderful Ellen. What a team. They run a really nice riding stables with horses that are clearly well cared for and content. The route is really pleasant too, weaving through vineyards, pear, plum and lemon orchards, along dusty tracks, and up into the lower hills with fine views of the mountains all round. We felt a bit guilty ten minutes into the ride having told Ellen, when asked whether we were novice, intermediate or expert, that we were intermediate. That was based on having been horse riding before but more than 10 years ago. Poor Ellen. She was so nice about it when she realised we were not even worthy of novice status. It dawned on her when we were invited to trot. But she was great and adapted the walk to cater for aspiring novices who didn't have a clue. And she kept saying "the main thing is that you are having a nice time". What a lovely woman. The horses are lovely. I was on Starbucks a pretty dappled horse with a really nice temperament who realised fairly quickly that he had an idiot on his back and accommodated me wonderfully. My wife's horse, Sky, was equally flexible and adopted donkey style, sensing, I guess, my wife's total lack of horse skills. But what a lovely day we had. So grateful for Louis for fitting us in and for Ellen for such a relaxed and laid back experience. Oh, and she knows all about the birdlife, too, which was an added bonus. Recommended.

Date of experience: September 2015
Reviewed 25 March 2015

I have just returned from four day customised holiday and enjoyed great riding on lovely well schooled horses in beautiful countryside. Riding though vineyards and between lemon and fruit orchards, tracks through woods and over high ground with great views. Fast canters if you want to, ambling if preferred . Ellen and Louis very hospitable , confidence inspiring and really care about the horses. I stayed on the farm , comfortable and could see the horses so suited me as solo visitor. Wine tasting and good food added extras for me but probably more fun if more visitors than just me. It can be hot, you need to be ride fit if you go for several days , I loved do it and hope to go again.n

Date of experience: March 2015
Reviewed 4 March 2015

We slept on the site. It is NOT for people who need luxury: Small room, small breakfast! But for us, both over 70, it was really ok for what we paid. For other people they offer other sites to stay at.

The horses are well kept and Ellen did all she could to make us comfortable, riding through winyards, orchards and forests.

It's the place to go to if you like horseriding, pleasant scenery, a lot of good restaurants nearby (for europeans: nearby means less than 25 kms away)

Date of experience: January 2015