Aquila Private Game Reserve
US$60
Nuwedam Guest Farm(Touwsrivier)
Draaiberg Farm(Touwsrivier)
TripAdvisor
All reviewscape townon arrivalbuffet stylefood was greatan overnight stayrescue centreamazing experiencekruger parkwide varietylunch and dinneroutdoor showergreat safaritake photossouth africawelcome drinkhour drivegreat value for money
Reviewed 27 January 2018 via mobile

We've just left here after 4 nights.
As it was our honeymoon we were upgraded to a balcony room and wow what a fantastic view.
Everyone at the accommodation was very kind and helpful.the rooms were clean and tidy. My only comment was that the bird poo on our balcony could of been cleaned up daily.
There was plenty of lovely food.

The safari.
I have to say this is a experience that we will never forget. I was impressed at how close we got to the animals whilst respecting their personal space. Wayne was the best ranger and knew lots about the animals. We opted for him when we could as he was very informative. The animals were amazing.
We were lucky enough to do both the horse and quad safari with Brandon and he was brilliant. He understood our fear and reassured us. His horses were extremely well trained and he took us places we couldn't go with the trucks. A BIG thank you.
From our balcony we were privileged to see the hippos going for a morning stroll.I can't belive people don't look what is around them.
Yes the trips were early mornings but this is the best time.
My advice is don't go on safari if you don't want to get up early and get a little dirty it's all part of tho fun.
A fabulous stay which will stay with us always. Thanks

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 January 2018

Our family of three visited Aquila Private Game Reserve on Dec. 31, 2017 to do the Half Day Afternoon Safari. When we booked it with Connie McKenzie, agent for Aquila, we were told that the game drive would last 2 1/2 - 3 hours. Upon our revival, at the reception, we were reassured again the game drive would be 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Much to our disappointment, the game drive started at 1:45 p.m. and lasted 1 1/2 hrs, followed by a 30 min refreshment break. We saw several zebras, 2 elephants, 1 giraffe, 3 rhinos, and 1 lion head far, far in the distant rocks. In addition, our tour guide, whose first language is not English, spoke so quickly and with such a heavy accent, we couldn't understand one work he said. It cost us R$ 4172.00, not including the transportation. What a rip off!!!!

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 January 2018 via mobile

This place is certainly commendable in its efforts for conservation and rescuing animals, the canned lions being a great example of that. We arrived at a particularly busy time though so it felt a bit like we had walked into a zoo / theme park. The setting is beautiful and even the basic accommodation (standard lodge, no view) is perfectly fine. We stayed for 2 nights which was too long - you can see it all in one day given it’s a game reserve and not a safari you are guaranteed to see everything apart from the hippos because they’re submerged. The food is not the best, but there is variety and it’s a buffet so it’s easy enough - the drinks are paid for separately though, and that can be quite painful. We waited ages for drinks, and then even longer for the bill. We were glad we went, and it was pretty special to see elephants wandering past when we had breakfast but it’s not a safari and it’s not for those who like luxury on their travels.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 January 2018 via mobile

My advise would be to book during the week & preferably out of the main season. We arrived on a Sunday lunchtime for our 2 night stay, and after pushing our way past a huge TourBus parked right in front of reception & the bus load of guests checking out we finally got ‘welcomed’, but no sign of the welcome drink or even a little guidance as to where the restaurant was etc.
We headed to the restaurant which definitely was a disappointment. The staff were friendly enough, but had no clue how to manage the crazy busy ‘canteen’, decor & ambiance wasn’t at all what we were expecting for the price we had paid to stay here. Towards the end of the meal the waitress brought us our drinks bill to pay - this made us feel very rushed as we were still planning on ordering more drinks to end the meal with. My husband had to go through to main reception to pay this as we hadn’t yet been allocated our room number. This was a huge performance in itself which took way too long. Later on we received a complimentary treat Platter as an apology - thanks, but the first impression was unfortunately a bad way to start.
Aquila feels like a conveyor belt of tourists being churned in & out, and being so close to Cape Town the tourists don’t know what to compare it to. Poor suckers.
Aquila isn’t cheap, but they use the cheapest simplest Game Drive Trucks possible! No suspension in sight! My 78yr old father visiting from the UK only joined us on the first out of 4 of the drives - comfort & service is key, especially with the price we paid!
Ok, I’ve painted a bad picture here, but a few of the highlights: the kids play area is great! Pool was beautiful. Food was yummy. Room was lovely & comfortable bed. Our 2nd Ranger (Wayne) was very good!
My family visiting from UK had a fantastic time, so for that we are happy & returned feeling that the trip was somewhat a success.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 January 2018

Just returned from an amazing trip to South Africa with my two little girls. Unfortunately the whole experience was ruined by Aquila. They totally messed up my booking made 6 months previously (wrong dates, wrong number of rooms), leaving me completely stressed and out of pocket having to make numerous phone calls to sort out the problem. To add insult to injury they put me in an apparently upgraded room, but made me pay for the upgrade, and then made me move room! Okay, they threw in a few spa treatments as a goodwill gesture, but am still out of pocket for a superior room which I never booked, and which they had to give me as they messed up my booking! Come on Aquila, do the right thing and refund me.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family