“First time! Very good!”

Ranked #1 of 156 Restaurants in Merrillville
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

First time. My husband is here working and we usually try to eat at places that we don’t have at home. We love hotdogs and these were awesome! The buns are very good as well.

Reviewed 21 March 2018

If you're from this area you know exactly what you're getting with Portillos. They have over priced hot dogs, burgers, italian beef sandwiches, etc. For the exorbitant price you'd expect big flavor and something that will knock your socks off? Sorry to burst your bubble but it's tasteless beef and your run of the mill char-grilled burgers and dogs that you can get at literally 50 other places for cheaper in the area. Save your time because the lines are extremely long and save your money because you arent getting out of there without spending a minimum of $15-$20 per person while the owners of this establishment are laughing all the way to the bank. Read up, or even stumble into the dozens of other greasy spoon local joints and get the same food for much cheaper why spend more for just a name?

Reviewed 12 March 2018 via mobile

My son got a huge hotdog and really like it. The chocolate cake shake was too rich for him though so he didn’t finish it. I ordered a tuna salad sandwich. It took 20 minutes for me to get my order, he was done eating his before I sat back down. 20 minutes to slap some salad and a tomato on a bun? Also the ordering set up is a bit confusing. The atmosphere was cool though.

Reviewed 8 March 2018 via mobile

I didn’t really have plans to stop but I when I saw there was a Portillo’s at the exit in Merrillville it was a no brainer to stop. Having living in the western Chicago suburbs or years I’d always enjoyed Portillo’s chili cheese dogs and their Italian beef for years. Tonight was no different.
I ordered the Italian beef, dipped once, sweet peppers and was not disappointed. The flavor is incredible and the meet and bread juicy but not falling apart and difficult to eat. I would NEVER try to eat Italian beef while driving.
I enjoyed standing at the window and watched food being prepared. Hot dogs can be a work of art or a disaster. Portillo’s makes masterpieces.

Reviewed 5 March 2018 via mobile

On a scale of 1-10, the Italian beef & sausage sandwich (Combo) is strong 11. However, do not eat this juicy beast while driving and grab about 10 napkins BEFORE you start to devour the beast. Make no mistake about it, I will definitely go out of my way to have another.
This is a busy crowded restaurant that has plenty of staff to push the patrons through.