“Excellent location and accommodatios”
Review of Illini Union Hotel

and 1 more site!
Illini Union Hotel
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Urbana
Reviewed 17 October 2017

Located in one of the main buildings of University of Illinois, this hotel has beautiful architecture.
The rooms are big and very confortable.
It is always full of students in the lobby, and has some options of fast food chains (Auntie Anne's, Starbucks, Einstein Bros, etc) and entertainment (bowling alley and fliperama).
There is no restaurant or breakfast area, so you will be given a voucher to eat at some of the food chains.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends

Reviewed 20 June 2017

My husband and I attended the Hot Rod Power Tour that came through Champaign-Urbana, and since my son attends U of I, I wanted to support the school rather than another hotel.

One semi-good thing about the hotel was that we got 2 vouchers for $5.00 off breakfast items at any of their fast food places in the lower level. We got Einstein Bagel breakfast sandwiches and only ended up spending $4.00 after the discounts, so that was a plus. The sandwich was OK. I'd have preferred to eat out, but we were watching our funds.

So....on to the experience.

I hate to bash anything about U of I, since our son truly loves this school. And I know the school doesn't have the funds to just remodel their entire hotel. But they really need to update the place. Any rich alumni out there who wants to donate for a good cause???? ;) I'm sure there are more important school funding needs though...

I don't have too many other complaints except that the construction (The street that Union Hall is on has been completely torn up. I know this is a good thing for the school, but it made for a confusing arrival and parking experience). It was like 96 degrees out, so we weren't thrilled to park at a meter, walk to the hotel, find out where we were supposed to park, and then walk back to our car in order to move it and bring our bags in.

The bathrooms were super tiny. But it was only one night, so who cares really?

Now, the biggest complaint I have is that DARN BELL TOWER!! Those bells rang every 15 minutes on the dot - ALL NIGHT LONG. I am a light sleeper, so this made for a very tired and crabby mama the next morning. I don't know if the bells can be heard from every room in the hotel, but it almost felt like the bells were IN our room. Our window was shut and we had the A/C unit on, but they were loud and clear all night long.

Why?? I mean, why??? Having bells go off every 15 minutes ALL night when people live on campus, and people stay in the hotel?

Room Tip: See if you can get a room that doesn't face the bell tower or you won't sleep a wink.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 June 2017

We don't normally write reviews assuming that the reviewee won't make changes or pass along compliments to employees so, we won't make a difference in anyone's life. But, this time we had to write a review because the U. of I.'s Union is such a symbol of the University to visitors, students and staff and it is SO run down and poorly managed as to be almost astonishing.

The hotel visually & audibly said to us that ... It's still 1965 here at the Union ... the leadership of the university doesn't care to invest any money in it to make it competitive with nearby hotels ... you take it for granted ... It's always looked like that and we're perfectly happy with it.

Examples of our stay ...
- As Marty & I drove our DeLorean into the circle drive in front we had to thread our way through as it was clogged with illegally parked cars (which were still there hours later). We parked and as we walked up to the front door an older woman was struggling to open the old narrow doors. We helped her but, no kidding, I'm not weak and those doors are unexpectedly harder to open than they should be. That scene with someone struggling to open the door must play out daily. Don't you people notice?
- Went to the front desk and the staff member tried to check me in as Mr. Philip. That's my middle name which is clear on the driver's license and credit card. I had to convince him that my name wasn't Mr. Philip. He began to believe me when he couldn't find any res for Mr. Philip.
- Parking is basically a block away. There are a precious few in a next door lot but hard to get one.
- The elevator is older than I am. It looks like an original prop leftover from a Hitchcock movie. Some might see it as charming in its own way. To the new visitor, it looks run down; old and far beyond it's useful life.
Ahhhhh ... the room. Let us tell you about the room ...
- Peeling wallpaper that looks like 1965.
- Cheap, bad coffee.
- Lack of electrical plugs for today's traveler.
- Thermostat designed in the 60's and still there. I saw things like that in my childhood.
- Lukewarm water for the morning shower. Guess I had to get up earlier.
- The TV channels are not numbered 2, 3, 4, 20, etc. They are 38.1, 38.2, 38.3, etc. The remote doesn't work that way. Who ever heard of channel numbers like that?

To close out let me provide another example of staff attitude. It was raining when we returned from dinner. I dropped my wife at the front door while I went to park the car. She asked the lady at the front desk which way to our room; she was a little confused about where to go. The front desk person shrugged her shoulders and went back to her magazine.

We wouldn't stay there again, ever.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Tom T
Reviewed 16 May 2017

you can stay there for the close proximity to the green street restaurant or the campus, but the hotel is very rundown.
We got the room as we started late for the graduation season. After paying $225, we got the room close to the humming elevator, and laundry room.
Needless to say, there was noise in the room to wake you up without alarm clock

Room Tip: Don' t take room 363 or 262 or 162, they are close to the elevator
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 May 2017

Excellent center of campus lodging, inexpensive and close to dozens of excellent restaurants, some inside, some within short walk. Fabulous views of Illinois campus, quiet comfortable roomy accommodations with easy wifi access. If you are at all interested in Urbana, it is a central location with easy walkable access to nearly anything in the illini complex. Very well kept and maintained by courteous and interested staff.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Urbana
0,8 km away
Red Roof Inn Champaign
#14 of 25 in Champaign
2,4 km away
Econo Lodge Champaign Urbana – University Area

Been to Illini Union Hotel? Share your experiences!