All reviews bowling alley the lower level alma mater central location place to stay breakfast area no frills champaign urbana quad students campus college lodging chain linens rates
Reviewed 7 May 2017

Excellent center of campus lodging, inexpensive and close to dozens of excellent restaurants, some inside, some within short walk. Fabulous views of Illinois campus, quiet comfortable roomy accommodations with easy wifi access. If you are at all interested in Urbana, it is a central location with easy walkable access to nearly anything in the illini complex. Very well kept and maintained by courteous and interested staff.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 May 2017

Made a reservation for Mom's weekend and despite calling (and calling and leaving messages with my contact info asking them to call me back) and logging in for hours upon hours (by the way no person ever picked up the call, returned a call or even attempted to try to be a little professional during or after the cluster they call reservation taking), I was able to book a room. Great!

Wait...so week and weeks later (after other places that I could have booked had all booked up) they send out a generic email saying that they had underestimated the demand (really, so this was the first Mom's weekend they had to process?) and that they were simply unable to answer the phone, return calls or maintain their reservation system which had crashed (again, it isn't like this was the inaugural Mom's weekend). SO, guess what, they said they would go through the reservations and "have the humble task of informing guests that their reservations may not be valid"...a week or more later I receive a generic email canceling my reservation. No explanation, no humble, no apology, just a mindless cancelation...nice; super professional.

Then a week or more go by and I get another blast email (so much for humble or professional) saying my reservation was voided and that I was on a wait list (no idea where I was on the wait list) and when I called I got voicemail again….sigh
I understand this is a state owned (Illinois owned which is worse) enterprise and I understand that in Illinois customer service, professionalism, courtesy and competence are in short supply but this whole experience is surreal.

All I can envision is that this is what it must be like trying to get a hotel reservation in Venezuela...but worse.

I have written and reviewed a ton of reviews and my experience with the Union Hotel is by far the worse (and to put it in perspective I had one hotel steal $2000 from me).
Buyer beware…even if you have a confirmation you probably don’t have a room. If you leave a voicemail (or 3) don’t expect a call back and if they make a mistake expect a form email.

I wouldn't stay here if the rooms were free.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 April 2017 via mobile

Well worth staying at simply for location and parking. Very clean. Reception is staffed primarily by students. Old school academic charm. No frills shabby but with dignity. Quiet. I would stay there again.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 April 2017

We decided to splurge on the suite for our family of 5; set up was two queen beds in one room and a pull-out sofa in an adjoining room. From prior reviews I knew the room would be dated (lack of outlets in the bathroom, for example), but we felt the location on campus was worth it. Parking was convenient, but to enter the side door we were directed to we had to walk around a pile of vomit--campus school, not that big a deal, but I let the front desk know. That evening after having some fun bowling in the basement everyone showered and turned in for the night. It wasn't until everyone was asleep that I climbed into the bed and noticed a bad "sweaty" smell. Given we had all showered and had on clean clothes, I sniffed the sheets--they smelled like a post-workout t-shirt that had been sitting in a plastic bag. Not wanting to wake the family (two beds in one room--other bed's sheets didn't smell), I "slept" in a chair and let the front desk know about the issue in the morning, leaving my contact information (never heard back). As we left, we passed by the untouched pile of now dry vomit. The newer Towne Suites by Marriot down the street would have been a much better option!

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 March 2017 via mobile

Good sized rooms overlooking the Quad, free parking, big flat screen TVs, in room fridge, free WIFI, and complimentary breakfast in the Union located right in the heart of campus. What's not to like?!

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family