All reviews front desk great hotel the breakfast area the hotel staff room was clean eastern illinois university other hotels nice stay staff was very friendly restaurants and shopping cookies oatmeal convenient location bed and pillows king room stayed one night off the highway
Reviewed 13 June 2018

Room clean and nicely done. Bathrooms were a little smaller than expected. Front desk staff very pleasant and helpful. A microwave in room would have been nice. beds were comfortable. Breakfast was fine.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
GM-MTOIL, General Manager at Hampton Inn Mattoon, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2018

I appreciate your review of our hotel. I'm glad you found the front desk helpful during your stay. We do have microwaves we can put in rooms. Let us know you need one next time you stay with us and we will be happy to put one in your room.

Reviewed 9 June 2018 via mobile

I decided to stop here with my family while driving 14 hours from Texas.

We stayed on the ground floor room 100. The room was filthy. There was a long hair in the soap tray and one stuck to the inside of the shower wall.

There was also mold on the soap tray in the shower. I looked closer on the shower wall and there were hair shavings stuck all over. I also found a dead bug on the inside of the shower curtain.

Unfortunately, I also found a small roach on top of the bed sheet. The sheets smelled ok but the worst part of this room is that it had a stench of must. It was like being in an old man's dirty closet.

The business center was one computer with Microsoft internet explorer that didn't connect to the internet.

The pool was ok but looked like it could use a good cleaning.

There was no fresh fruit at the breakfast bar and no fitness room.

When I checked out the lady at the desk didn't even bother to ask how my stay was. My room was less than 50 feet from the hotel office and there is no excuse why that room should ever be that filthy.

I have stayed at about 80 Hilton properties since 2011 and this one was by far the dirtiest. I have stayed at cleaner Super 8s and Red Roof Inns. I am not sure how they are allowed to use the Hampton Inn name. Next time I will drive the extra 45 min to Champaign, IL.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
GM-MTOIL, General Manager at Hampton Inn Mattoon, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2018

Sam,
Thank you for your review. I am so so sorry that you did not find your room clean during your stay with us. I am really disappointed because we usually get high scores for our cleanliness. We want our guests to be met with a clean and comfortable rooms. I have discussed this with housekeeping so this will not happen again. I apologize for the beetle that you found in your room. This was not a roach, it was a beetle that is seasonal right now for this area. Your room was on the end by the field and the end rooms are where they can get into right now. We do spay our rooms regularly by a professional pest control and they tell us they are seasonal and will last for two weeks. I know how upsetting this can be to see a bug in your room. We are doing everything we can to make sure this is not the case. We do have a fitness center at the hotel. It is located on the 2nd floor. I am sorry you did not have a pleasant stay with us. I can say this is not typical and am sorry we did not live up to our usual standards.

Reviewed 3 June 2018

Great location with good restaurants nearby. We like to stay here when driving north to Wisconsin from Florida. It has all the amenities we need. Nice hotel in every aspect. The beds are very comfortable, which is importand after spending days on the road. Nice breakfast. Nice, friendly and helpful staff. Great value

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thank you for your review. We really appreciate it. I'm so glad you found our new beds comfortable and had a great stay.

Reviewed 30 May 2018

We (my wife and I) drove to Mattoon to attend a wedding on Saturday, and decided to stay overnight and return on Sunday, Memorial Day weekend. We're Hilton Honors members, so were pleased to make reservations at the Hampton Inn.
Check in is after 3 PM and we arrived at 2:30, but the front desk allowed us to check in early. The hotel is 3 stories and we'd decided to get a 3rd floor, double-queen bed room, to ensure a peaceful night's sleep. When we returned from our event, we liked that the room A/C was working quietly and efficiently. Our room was large enough; had excellent reading lights for each bed, a refrigerator. No microwave. The bathroom was clean; hot water pressure for the bathtub was good, although the tub was a little narrower than we're used to. Using the hair dryer at a high setting from the bathroom outlet tripped a circuit breaker, which was easily reset. (We turned off some room lights and the hair dryer stayed on without interruption). The bedroom carpet seemed thin, or perhaps worn, and the room had a faint slightly irritating odor–musty?– that may just be from many cleanings. My wife thought her mattress too soft, but mine was firm and supporting. We didn't watch any TV in the room.
Just after check-in, I tried the elliptical stepper in the Fitness Room on the second floor; liked that I could watch TV and exercise. We didn't try the swimming pool on the 1st floor. We liked the complementary breakfast (vegetable egg omelet and sausage; poppy seed bagel, and hard boiled eggs) and especially liked the regular coffee.
There's only one elevator and it's a bit slow. Third floor hallway was a bit darker than we liked. Ample free parking. We often stay at Hampton Inns; Mattoon's seemed older, smaller.
We need to mention how friendly and genuinely helpful all the hotel staff were. Saturday evening my wife was at the lobby coffee station and the fellow at the registration desk asked if there was anything she'd like, so she asked if they had any chamomile tea. He brought out a wooden box of tea bags and found several chamomile tea bags and gave them to my wife.

Room Tip: Third floor room was definitely quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
GM-MTOIL, Manager at Hampton Inn Mattoon, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2018

Thank you John for your review of our Hampton Inn. We really appreciate your review. I'm so glad you found the hotel staff friendly and helpful. I see you enjoyed our hot complimentary breakfast. I hope we see you again.

Reviewed 29 May 2018

We stayed here overnight on our way home from a road trip to Orlando. The staff was friendly and helpful. The room was clean, but a little older than most Hamptons we have stayed in.

The pool area was very nice, and clean - and a relaxing part of our evening.

Breakfast was yummy, with a good variety of hot and cold items. There was plenty of seating in the breakfast area.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review. I'm so glad you stopped here on your way home from Orlando. I'm glad you got to enjoy the pool and relax. I hope we can be your stop the next time you are traveling through.