“Making plans to return soon”

Tearoom At The Depot
Ranked #1 of 6 Restaurants in Mackinaw
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

This was the best ham sandwich I’ve ever had. It had a praline sauce on it and that made it out-of-this-world delicious. I couldn’t believe it was that good. The salad was on the bottom tier and I had the one with the cherries. A huge portion with nuts and feta and dried cherries and the poppyseed dressing was wonderful.

The second tier was the sandwich. I don’t usually like paninis because the bread is too
Thick and dries out but this was just right. And that sauce was to die for!

Top layer was dessert and I had the white chocolate raspberry cheesecake that melted in your mouth.

Oh and they give you a strawberry butter while you wait to go in your crackers. Yum and I don’t care for crackers.

Four of us had a wonderful lunch and good time.

Reviewed 22 December 2017

This was my first time at the Tearoom, and it was very nice. The portions are surprisingly hearty. Soup, sandwich and dessert really was enough for two meals. I loved that each place setting was different, and having a separate "tower" per person made it possible to have the whole meal delivered to each person without the usual plate-juggling to fit soup bowl/salad plate, sandwich, dessert, and drinks. Tip - be sure to ask for the main room (the side room is really more of a hallway). The only negatives were somewhat minor - my potato soup was tasty for the most part, but there were several large, odd chunks - not of potato or vegetable, but more like lumps of flour or thickener - mixed in with the potatoes and veggies. If it hadn't been for those lumps, it would've been the best potato soup I've had in quite a while, but those were rather off-putting. My sandwich (the Makenna Rae) was good, as was the warm fudge cake, and sweetened peach tea. Now the gift shop - that was exceptional! Festively decorated, well stocked, and lots of fun, unique items. Another bonus point - when you purchase an item at the gift shop, you receive a coupon good for that day only at Beth Ann's, a shop across the street. I liked seeing small business cooperation like that, and I ended up purchasing little gift items at both locations. I would (and will) definitely visit again.

Reviewed 21 December 2017 via mobile

All ways have a great time eating and shopping, the teas are always good hot or cold. The peanut butter pie is amazing!

1  Thank Stephanie F
Reviewed 25 November 2017

I have had tea in London and Hong Kong. This restaurant easily matches those experiences! Do not be afraid of not having enough food. Everything can be done as tier. So you will have a salad or soup on the first tier. Second tier is sandwiches and the top tier is desserts. Most people take home leftovers.

I had the corn chowder which was a rich, creamy soup, stocked with potatoes and corn. I had the chicken salad on a croissant. Which was 2 scoops of chicken salad. It was a knife and fork sandwich as there was no possible way to pick it up and eat. Lastly, I had apple and berries pie. I really liked it because it was not very sweet. I had coffee, which was salted caramel flavored, and was constantly topped off. Our server was friendly and efficient. It is nice when the server knows everything about the food and town.

My only suggestion to management would be to get one of those tea boxes that has compartments for about a dozen teas. That way one can make their own choice for hot tea.

Even though women represent the vast majority of customers, guys don't hesitate to go. It is not a foo-foo type of place.

Reviewed 27 October 2017

I have been to the Tea Room at the Depot before, but I didn't know what to expect then. Today, as I walked up to the old train depot converted into tea room and store, I knew I was probably going to be the only man in the building, but I wanted to see if the food was as good as it was last time I came here.

My wife and I walked into the Depot and observed it was full of various nick nacks for sale, most of which had a Christmas theme. We walked to the back of the building where the restaurant was and were told our table was not quite ready. After approximately 20 minutes after our reservation time, we were seated in the center of the main room and our waitress, Christa, took our drink order. I chose a Raspberry Iced Tea which tasted so much better than those you buy at gas stations.

The menu was a couple pages filled with different kinds of salads, sandwiches, deserts, and drinks. If you are coming here to get a steak, you will be disappointed because it is not on the menu. However, the items on the menu are diverse and tasty. There will definitely be something that will peak your interest.

I ordered a Broccoli and Cheddar soup, "Texas" sandwich, and dutch apple pie. The unique thing about the Depot, is the food comes out in a "Tier," a three level metal frame holding all three items you ordered. It all comes to the table at the same time so there is no waiting.

The Broccoli and Cheddar soup was very nice. It came with a side of soup crackers but I think those take away from the taste. The soup was amazing. It was creamy, smooth, and almost silky. It tasted so much better than even the one served at Panera, which I happen to love also.

The "Texan" was loaded with roast beef, cheese, tomatoes, and some special sauce that was all melted in a panini style sandwich and tasted very good. I think if there was a little more of that sauce and perhaps a little more spiciness, it would be fantastic!

The dutch apple pie looked as if caramel and apple melted together like metal and lava, as it flows this way and that. It was topped with whipped cream that was light and fluffy and a cherry with a stem. The pie was very sweet, as expected. The apple was not overburdened by the sweetness as it brought a slight tart kick with it. I am not sure who is doing the deserts at the Depot, but don't let them go. They know how to end a meal.

Overall, this was a very nice experience. I will admit, the first time I was brought here a few years ago, it was a little bit weird having all of these women eating lunch looking at me like I was an outsider. They must not have many men come into this place. However, the shop is interesting, the servers were nice and polite, and the food is very good.

Someone is doing a good job at the Tearoom At The Depot and I hope they keep it up.

1  Thank Derek T