“Great Food. Pretty spot”

Blue Door Farm Stand
Ranked #981 of 10 253 Restaurants in Chicago
Price range: US$0 - US$10
Cuisines: American
Neighbourhood: Lincoln Park
Description: Blue Door Farm Stand is Lincoln Park's neighborhood cafe and artisanal market. The cafe features fresh, seasonal food and drink from local farms and farmers' markets as well as from the restaurant's namesake, Blue Door Farm, once Oprah's Indiana property. There is Bow Truss coffee and Mighty Leaf tea and a selection of Harvest Juicery cold pressed juices. The artisan market offers carefully curated gifts from families and craftspeople across the United States and includes gourmet foods and handmade gifts. Our philosophy at Blue Door Farm Stand is simple. We believe in the seasons dictating what's on the table. We are committed to being part of the community and the importance of having personal relationships with all our purveyors. We believe in providing a warm and welcoming space for all our guests to enjoy wholesome delicious food.
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

My wife and I had 2 starters and 2 small plates not small at all. Cauliflower confit was wonderful. Veggie tartlet with goat cheese—was a full size tart. Fried chicken sliders and a Brussel sprout kale salad. Took 2 leftovers home — neither survived the night.

Reviewed 29 May 2018

Had breakfast here and didn't really enjoy it.

We both ordered the "Diner Classic" which is eggs, potato, meat, and pancake or toast. The place was not remotely busy which makes it hard to understand why I can't point to any one of the items being particularly good. I had eggs scrambled and they came in a big lump that you could actually pick up the whole pile sticking your fork in the middle. My wife ordered them over-easy and they came out on the scorched side. Potatoes were fine. Pancake was just bad. There is no way it was cooked to order. It wasn't even warm enough to melt whipped butter and had what I can only describe as a stale texture. We had patty sausage and it was like they took unseasoned ground pork, rolled it into a ball and them smashed any residual flavor out of it on the griddle. Why didn't we tell our server about it? Because she asked us how everything was moments after our plates were put in front of us and we replied "we haven't had the chance to taste it yet" and then she never came back until it was time to give us the check. There didn't seem to be any management around so we just sucked it up.

The ambiance is kind of weird. We were upstairs and it was super quiet, to the point where people were starting to whisper so as not to be heard by other tables. Then you have a bartender juicing citrus with one of those table-top juice presses that makes a really loud thumping noise as it completes the cycle. Then, there was a really loud banging noise every few minutes that turned out to be the front door. A little music would have been nice.

Overall, I don't think I'd go back.

Reviewed 28 April 2018 via mobile

Four of us went for an early dinner (5:30) last night which may be why it was quiet though the tables are well spaced for conversation. The restaurant has an open clean feel. The portions were large and the appetizers were delicious and well worth sharing. We split crab cakes, spring veggie tarts, roasted carrots. Our mains were also very good. The double lamb chops was a large serving. So was the steak. Two of us each had the salmon, one with the apple and quinoa salad and one with fingerling potatoes. The disappointments were that the dessert special, a gelatinous almond cake, was so bad we each had only one bite and the coffee, even after being sent back because it was lukewarm, returned lukewarm. Service was pretty good but, with each course, we had to request silverware. However, what we liked was so good that we will definitely return.

Reviewed 21 December 2017 via mobile

I took my daughter & boyfriend here for brunch & it was amazing! The decor is warm & friendly. I had the eggs Benedict & it did not disappoint, the homemade biscuit to the sauce & perfectly poached eggs. My daughter had the Cobb salad &'it was huge & delish! Will definitely go back.

Reviewed 25 November 2017 via mobile

Visiting our son that lives in Chicago. He picked this restaurant as he’d never been but heard good things. We shared the kale salad, chicken and a pasta dish. Everything was outstanding! The restaurant wasn’t busy - don’t miss giving this place a try...you won’t be sorry!!