“Disappointed”

Cityscape Bar
Ranked #670 of 10 215 Restaurants in Chicago
Price range: US$12 - US$28
Cuisines: American
Description: Perched 15 floors above within the iconic skyline of The Windy City, Cityscape Bar features local and organic drinks, tasty bites, and delectable views. Floor-to-ceiling windows let in the sunset, stars, and cityscape sights, day and night, as stellar mixologists concoct both classic and award-winning signature cocktails. In addition to the hip scene and high spirits, a tantalizing menu of small plates, salads, and entrees.
Reviewed 28 June 2018

We wanted to like this bar but the service was almost hostile and the drinks expensive. Nice enough view but that's not enough to recommend it.

Reviewed 26 June 2018

We met here for our pre, and post, dinner libation and the views at 6PM, and 9PM were outstanding. Many seating options (all with incredible views) and attentive service.

Reviewed 10 June 2018

This is a really great in hotel bar and restaurant.

Most hotel bars are either really pretentious or terribly dated, but this has a great feeling of a normal local pub.

Drinks and food are decent, priced well and staff are very friendly.

Reviewed 31 May 2018

the views especially at night are awesome,food though is a little pricy,had burger and fries and the fries were awful,though the draught lager was very good

Reviewed 1 May 2018

I grew up in the North Shore suburbs of Chicago and always appreciated the amazing architecture and vibrant feel of downtown, so much that I love to find any reason to drive the 45-60 minutes to feel so alive while enjoying the amazing array of Chicago restaurants, live theater, museums and so much more. however, I had no expectations of experiencing anything beyond some good cold beers and a hockey game [which is a terrific time in and of itself] when my brother- who was in town on business, staying at the very reasonably-priced Holiday Inn next to the famous Merchandise mart on the north side of the Chicago River- invited me to a Blackhawks game and suggested that we meet in the Cityscape Bar on the bottom floor of the hotel. I couldn't even picture the hotel even after being told of its location and, when I drove into the super-easy and remarkably cheap parking garage and saw the thoroughly unremarkable box-like building with the Holiday Inn sign at the top, I shrugged and thought "Oh well, so I'm not going into a landmark building. Who cares. I'm just here to meet my brother and go to the Blackhawks game."

Wow, was I in for a delightful surprise! After walking all the way to the rear of the ground floor of a building that instantly struck me as being as boring indoors as it looks on the outside, then taking the elevator up to the 15th floor, I finally walked into a spacious, modern bar with clean lines and a hip, lively feel to it. But what really caught my attention- making me feel almost mesmerized into walking straight towards the wall of floor-to-ceiling windows and luckily sitting down at an empty table, without averting my eyes - was the absolutely eye- popping scene from which I could not look away : DOWNTOWN CHICAGO, IN ALL ITS GLEAMING GLORY!! AND NOT ONE, BUT TWO, BRANCHES OF THE CHICAGO RIVER WITH ALL THE PROUD, PREENING SKYSCRAPERS LINING THE BANKS AND THE LIGHTS THEY EACH EMITTED SHIMMERING OFF THE SURFACE OF THE WATER BELOW!! IT WAS-AND, IN MY MIND'S EYE, IT ALWAYS WILL BE- SO EXCITING AND IMPRESSIVE !!

I'm a huge fan of the sublime beauty of downtown Chicago's iconic architecture- ranging from Gothic to Art Deco to Modern, Post-modern and beyond-all of it standing shoulder-to- shoulder forming an eye-popping mosaic. However, unless you are in the observation deck of the Hancock Building or Willis Tower, or on a marvelous boat tour on the river or the lake, you will typically be able to appreciate the buildings only by craning your neck looking up at them while walking or driving. But there is an exception: the Chicago River provides a break which allows one to see many beautiful buildings in one vista- if you can somehow become perched part way up a building that sits on the river bank.

Cityscape Bar is perfectly perched on the north bank of the Chicago River, just behind where the land meets the water on the N/E point of the intersection of the river's main [E/W] branch where it T's at the north and south branches - right at the iconic Wolf Point where Chicago's early history traces its roots. The Cityscape Bar's windows line the south face of the building, wrapping around the east side, too, to maximize views towards the lake, which views are enhanced because the Merchandise Mart building, directly to the east, is set back from the river bank. Thus, when you look to the east while sitting at any one of the tables you are looking almost the entire stretch of the main branch of the river, to where it meets Lake Michigan - and with all those buildings on both banks of the river, and the remarkable new skyscrapers rising on either side of the south branch, the view is absolutely spectacular and you cannot help but feel- as you sit chatting with your companions over drinks and a great selection of foods- that there is nowhere else you would rather be at that moment. You are there, seeing a vista of the remarkable downtown Chicago that is only available to the public by being in the Cityscape Bar. To be sure, there are some rooftop bars and other locales where you can get great city views-but nothing like THIS!

As for the bar, itself, it has everything you would want : It is a large & open, airy space with high ceilings and the tables aren't squished together, so when we sat at a window table we felt neither crowded nor in need of shouting to be heard. The bar offers well-made cocktails, a great selection of both well-known and craft beers and enough quality wines to make even a genuine oenophile happy. You can enjoy everything from yummy appetizers to full dinner and we had a terrific cheese assortment and very good-quality hummus that had us plenty full to get through the hockey game. The service was excellent and I was never made to even look out for our waitress as she seemed to always know when we were ready for another round and to order food.

I'm not into any bar scenes, but the perfect combination of good drinks, great food and a fabulous view of the most beautiful downtown makes Cityscape Bar a new destination for me and my friends.