“5 stars for food, 1 star for everything else”

Milt's BBQ For The Perplexed
Reserve with OpenTable
Milt's BBQ For The Perplexed is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #522 of 10 825 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Lake View East
Reviewed 28 June 2018

Starting the most important thing - and the only thing that matters for some. The food was excellent. But it went downhill from there. First, why does a BBQ menu list half the entrees as "market price." Not sure if they think listing prices is beneath them or if they felt that we'd suffer sticker shock, but it's not like they're serving Maine Lobster. Second, four of us were sitting outside and we unexpectedly had a 5th person join us after we were seated. Neither the waitress nor the manager were remotely helpful in helping us accommodate the 5th person. Ultimately, with the help of some very friendly people sitting at the next table, we came up with a fix, but no thanks to the staff. Finally, I recognize that there are very few BYOB places in Chicago, but when I bring a bottle of wine and am willing to pay a corkage fee (and even brought my own bottle opener), I was less than happy to be told I couldn't. There are so many good restaurants in Chicago that do BBQ (Smoque or Q on Dearborn for example) that I won't be going back here.

Date of visit: June 2018

Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

I was there when it first opened and wasn't happy. I figured I'd give them another chance. I'm happy I did. The place was packed and I didn't have reservations. I was about to leave when the hostess asked if I was alone. When I said yes she offered me a "seat" at the bar! It was fun and I'm glad I sat there. Nicer than a table for one. I had the slider trio and brisket and chili nachos. The bartender convinced me to try a local craft beer they had on tap which was delicious as well.

I'll be back!

Date of visit: December 2017
Reviewed 10 June 2018

This was my first time here, but I've heard from many others how AMAZING the spare ribs are. Unfortunately, when we were there, they had run out of spare ribs.

Nevertheless, we tried many appetizers all of which were fantastic as well as the short ribs which were simply delectable!

The steak was a bit on the small side, but quite good.

The bloody mary had a great jalapeño kick to it with a nice piece of meat on top!

The corn bread with the spread it came with was delicious as were the brisket baked beans. All in all, a wonderful culinary experience, although next time they need to save some spare ribs for us!

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 30 May 2018

I live in Kansas City, barbecue heaven. So, why is it I visit Milt's every time I'm in Chicago?

THE FOOD AND THE PEOPLE

Milt's is a full on kosher meat kitchen restaurant. Period. You won't find pork and you won't find dairy. What you will find is some of the best smoked meat of your life. You will also find superb beans, cooked with the beef brisket.

They have superb service and a bar that will take care of you.

One of the best things about Milt's is their commitment to the community. Their profit doesn't make the owner wealthier, it goes to a host of Chicagoland needs. Love your neighbor as yourself, the Law says. Milt's walks the walk.

Date of visit: May 2018
1  Thank John P
Reviewed 22 April 2018 via mobile

We really enjoyed our dinner. Our friends made the reservation, and the place was packed. Parking is awful, but the food was great. My wife and I shared the sampler sliders and the Cobb salad, and we left happy and full.

Date of visit: April 2018