“Over crowded over priced”
Review of R.J. Grunts

R.J. Grunts
Reserve with OpenTable
R.J. Grunts is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #298 of 10 080 Restaurants in Chicago
Price range: US$12 - US$20
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Lincoln Park
Cross street: Dickens
Description: The first Lettuce Entertain You restaurant, R.J. Grunts still exudes the funky, devil-may-care lifestyle of the 70s in its style, décor, music, and menu. Happily for all of us, the best eating of that day continues to be some of the best today. While there's a huge menu that's as much fun to eat your way through as it is to read, many of Grunts' old American favorites spark return visits. The burgers are arguably the best in town. The salad bar boasts more than 50 ingredients daily. Giant malts and milkshakes are hand scooped and come in a rainbow of colors and flavors. And, the Craft beer selection makes it easy to choose the perfect tasty beverage.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The one charming feature i enjoyed was pictures of what looked like former waitresses hung all over the walls. Food was absolutely nothing to write home about and pretty tricky to navigate with a plate between extremely tightly packed tables if you are even slightly bigger than a toddler.

Reviewed 11 March 2018

My husband and I went to R.J. Grunts on a Saturday in March and were not disappointed. We had to wait about 10 minutes which we were okay with, and since we were notified by text message, we could go outside and take in the sights of Lincoln Park. While we waited, we read some of the recent reviews, including some negative ones that addressed the crowded nature of the restaurant.

Our visit was also crowded, and I suppose my only complaint would be that there was no waiting area (though we didn't mind waiting outside). Rather than being put off by the crowds, I took it to be a good sign--that the food was worth it! We were squeezed into a table but none of us were hit by anyone despite being on an aisle, which have had happen at other restaurants. Our server was busy but still attentive, and our food arrived quickly. We didn't partake in the salad bar, mostly because my husband doesn't like salad and I'm too picky to really appreciate it. However, we were delighted to discover that you can order a cup of soup for the price of the temperature of the day as long as you're not pairing it with the salad bar--a great bargain! We both had chicken tortilla soup which was chock full of chicken and veggies and just the right amount of heat. My husband had a burger which he said was excellent and was actually cooked appropriately. I had the BBQ pork sandwich, and while the pork wasn't exceptional, the bun on which it was served was unique and delicious. We both had the cottage "fries" (chips) which were homemade and tasty--some were a little soft, which I think will ultimately happen, but most were crispy.

We were not disappointed in the least but if you can't handle crowded places, then you shouldn't come here.

Reviewed 28 January 2018 via mobile

We made a reservation at 6pm for 5 for my fathers birthday. I realize it is nearly downtown Chicago but it was VERY crowded. The people were spilling outside waiting for our table. We only waited 5 minutes but it only got worse. There is no walking space between the tables and it was so loud that we couldn’t hear each other talking. The bathrooms have not been updated since the restaurant opened and there is only 1 stool per bathroom and no where to wait in the bathroom nor the very tiny hallway that leads to the bathroom.

The pros were that our waiter was fantastic. Even under all the stress of a very crowded restaurant he never lost his cool. He was very attentive and very friendly. Our table was waiting for us without delay and the burgers and French onion soup were very good. Sadly the cons outweighed the pros and we probably will not be back.

Reviewed 6 January 2018

My husband and I were in the area going to another restaurant without reservations. We were turned away, which I am so glad we were. My husband said, let's go to R.J. Grunts. We saw the restaurant as we were driving away from the other place. I said, O.K.. It had been years since we had been there with our family.

We were not disappointed. We order a burger and tuna melts, just the kind of comfort food needed on a holiday evening that was single digit temperature. I also added the salad bar. Perfect, I thought to myself. This is how a salad bar should be and only $7.50 to add on to the tuna melt.

Service was friendly and good. Music was nostalgic and fun.
WE left very happy and had another good memory to add to our R.J. Grunts experiences.
Did I mention I was there as a teen ager?

Reviewed 30 December 2017 via mobile

Been coming here for years. Tonights visit was simply not all that great. Tap beer I received was flat (sent back). French fries were mushy (sent back). Turkey Club, bacon was burnt (black). I was unable to eat the bacon. Salad bar was still awesome. Possibly my last visit (sad) :(
"Yes sir senator" Lettuce Entertain You has slipped.

Been to R.J. Grunts? Share your experiences!