The Art Institute of Chicago

18 762
2 979
18 762
2 979
All reviews modern wing van gogh miniature rooms chagall windows famous paintings la grande jatte great collection world class museum beautiful museum permanent collection audio tour special exhibit on display few hours the lower level rainy day millennium park
1 086 - 1 091 of 22 262 reviews
Reviewed 28 June 2018

I compromised with my students that if they wanted to go to a baseball game they had to go to this museum. They were dragging their feet on the way from the L. Once inside and I gave them a mission assignment to explore in pairs with chaperons, they were amazed with the art and artifacts as was I! They have student rates! You need more than an hour to do some justice.

1  Thank Pangelinan
Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

Our favorite part was finding the artwork featured in "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" and taking a few photos. I was happily surprised that prices were not as high as I expected, and children under 14 are free. There are also other discounts for Chicago residents, students, seniors. A great collection of beautiful art!

Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

This is a fabulous art museum with a wide variety of exhibits including a large collection of miniature rooms, great photigraghy, interesting paperweights, good impressionists, and some fun surprises. We were able to leave and go out for lunch and return ready for more.

1  Thank Alissa R
Reviewed 27 June 2018

Nice place to visit and bring friends from the UK
The kids enjoyed it as well as the adults, there were lots of people when we got here

Date of experience: April 2018
Reviewed 27 June 2018

First, this is not a museum to try to do in a hurry. It has a large collection with many halls and many galleries, so consider making a day of it or at least a half a day visit or break visit into two hour increments over a few days. I think that we tried to tour the museum in two to three hours, which was not enough time.

The day we were there, the museum was busy but not crowded. The collection of French Impressionist and Post-Impressionist works is impressive with many works by Van Gogh, Degas, Monet, Manet, Seurat (and other pointillists) with dashes of work by Gauguin, and other French artists, plus a few pieces by El Greco. They even have a few Toulouse-Lautrec pieces as well.

My benchmark for art museums is the Met in NYC, because it's the one I've visited first as a kid and then having re-visited it many times since. The Art Institute offers the same world class collection of well-known works, many that you've seen in print, but rarely in person.

My only complaint about the museum would be the combination of multiple galleries and confusing maps. But this is the same challenge that any large, multi-gallery, multi-floor and multi-wing art collection poses. The museum is large but manageable to visit fairly comfortably in a day. (But your feet will be tired.)

A small coffee /snack bar is tucked away near the modern art wing if you need a bit to eat and a place to sit, but it closes early.

The museum also is home to a collection of tiny / miniature rooms, the brain child of Mrs. James Ward Thorne (of Montgomery-Wards, Chicago). Constructed by master craftsmen according to Thorne's specifications, Miniature (tiny) Rooms range from late 13th century to 1930s European interiors and American furnishings from the 17th century to the 1930s as well. One could easily spend an hour in this collection admiring and studying the incredible detail in each re-constructed interior.

Highlight of this museum visit was spying John Lithgow strolling through a gallery as we were making our way out at closing time. I followed behind him for about 20 feet; when he stopped and turned around, I put out my hand to shake his saying how much I enjoyed his work. He graciously returned the gesture.

What a great way to end a lovely visit to a marvelous art museum.

2  Thank SeriousFoodieGrazes