“Headed to Statesboro ”

Dutch House Restaurant & Bakery
Ranked #1 of 1 Dessert in Wrens
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 4 March 2017 via mobile

Don't drive by this unassuming building! The baked goods alone are worth the stop. We had pot roast with homemade mashed taters, greens, catfish, fried okra and yeast rolls. For dessert, we had fresh pecan pie and the most incredible pecan bar on a buttery crust. Heaven! The pecans were clearly fresh and local. Worth the stop.

Date of visit: March 2017

Reviewed 25 February 2017

We stopped by to sample some traditional mennonite home cooking. The chicken pot pie, cupcakes and casserole did not disappoint

Date of visit: July 2016
Reviewed 6 February 2017

Excellent food and courteous service. We missed the dinner service; but they pulled together something to eat.

Date of visit: January 2017
Reviewed 25 January 2017 via mobile

Buffet with country food. Well prepared. I had fried chicken breast. Prices reasonable
Friendly staff. Has bakery also. Items looked good although I didn't purchase anything.

Date of visit: January 2017
Reviewed 14 August 2016 via mobile

I was traveling the back roads in GA today and saw a billboard advertising The Dutch House so I decided to give it a try. Wow! I absolutely loved it! To put it in perspective, I consider myself somewhat of a foodie. We often will route our travels according to restaurants we want to try and we especially like to try southern places. We've been to The Blue Willow a few times, The Smith House several times (but no more- it's not worth it at all), and yesterday we had lunch at Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House and Restaurant in Savannah, we've been to PAULA Deen's place, and several others. The Dutch House did not disappoint. They actually make the Mac n cheese the old fashioned way - they bake it. It's rare to find a place that still cooks it that way as opposed to just adding cheese sauce over pasta! It was slightly dry but really wonderful and the taste was great. They also served broccoli and cheese casserole very similar to how my grandmother taught me to make it. That was my fav for sure - brought back memories. I also had turnip greens which were pretty close to perfect, as well as good southern mayo based Cole slaw! They had 2 or 3 types of meat - fried chicken, fried fish and pot roast, none of which I tried but it looked good. They also had mashed potatoes, butter beans, rice, gravy, fried okra and a few more that I don't recall. It's cafeteria style so you get a tray, go through the line and pick what you want. They had yeast rolls and cornbread and my roll was really good. Not too yeasty and just right. Then the deserts! Oh my, they probably had 14 or 15 different cakes and pies, cut and ready to grab as you walked by. I choose the coconut cream pie. But by the time I finished my meal, I was too full to eat it so I snuck just a tiny bite. It was amazing, so much so that I went back and got another slice to take home to my mother. To beat all, it also has a bakery which is where you check out. They had whole pies, different kinds, refrigerated and ready to walk out the door and prices were generally around $13-$14 per pie. They had a case where you could buy fruit turnovers, brownies, pecan rolls and cinnamon rolls to name a few. I bought 2 peach turn overs for my Mom and I to try in the morning but they look delicious! They also had a Bavarian turnover that looked good. All said and done, I'm so glad I stopped! The food was really really good, ample and priced very fairly. My 4 veggies and a roll was $8.47, then I had iced tea, and once I added 2 slices of pie and 2 turnovers, my total bill was $18.00 and worth every penny. I hope they keep the same and keep the price down. It's in a little place called Wren GA and the only industry I saw was farming. There's just nothing around and it was in the middle of nowhere.
If you're in the area or even near the area, it's definitely worth the stop. The food was absolutely wonderful and I'd make a special trip to go there again!

Date of visit: August 2016