“Once in a lifetime experience you shouldn't miss out on!”

1StopBorneo Wildlife
Ranked #2 of 8 things to do in Tawau
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We are a NGO helping connect local people to get involved in conservation projects on Borneo. In a nutshell , we are doing wildlife conservation and helping locals develop their own responsible tourism which benefits the voiceless animals. We are developing a community conservation tourism modal in Tawau(Elephant safaris and jungle trekking), A tree replanting project in a wildlife corridor(13KM long) connecting two large reserves.A place behind kinabalu National Park and Cycling tourism in Marudi Sarawak(long term goal is to create a new national park). We are also building a slow loris centre. Come support our activities and experience Borneo
Reviewed 28 June 2018

Without a doubt, Shavez and Chun from 1StopBorneoWildlife are not only nature experts of Borneo but also fun guys hanging out with! We spend amazing 10 days with them, doing guided night walks in Sayap, next to Mt. Kinabalu and joining safari drives in the huge Sabah Softwood Plantation with quite a big wild elephant population - and for conservation purposes all tourists are asked to plant at least 5-10 native trees to establish a wildlife corridor within the plantation area (great opportunity to reduce your own carbon footprint at least a little bit).
Our last trip with 1StopBorneoWildlife took us to a homestay at Kinabatangan river where it took us only three boat rides to see at least 50 different species of birds, reptiles and mammals - but they always took care for that we approached them in a respectful manner (unlike other tourist guides in that area).

That is an outstanding example of sustainable conservation tourism! :)

All reviews
"knowledge"
in 4 reviews
"diversity"

Reviewed 13 June 2018

I was very pleasantly surprised, we arrived late in the afternoon we straight away jumped in the 4WD to go and find the elephants. Seeing them in the wild is a completely different and amazing experience, such incredible animals. I felt like I was in doing a safari in Africa, but this is in Borneo! After a good night's rest, a dip in the pool and a truly amazing breakfast at the lodge we hopped back in the 4WD to pick our plants and be part of this wonderful conservation project (planting trees to create a corridor between two national parks). I must say one of the most unique experiences I've ever had. Shavez from 1stopborneo was the one to make it all happen for us. He is very knowledgeable and his enthusiasm for nature is contagious. Thank you very much Shavez and 1stopborneo team, I would definitely recommend this experience for anyone who loves nature, wildlife and adventure!

2  Thank NatalieBen84
Reviewed 28 April 2018

First of all Shavez and Chun from 1stopBrunei were amazing on this trip and now feel like family to us. From day one we were felt, welcome and comfortable in their company and wow, we learnt so much from them, but also realised what amazing work they are doing for conservation. We wanted to be able to support local people on our trip and doing it through 1stopBorneo this happened. On the Kinabatangan we got to stay with Maria and her lovely family at Sukau Home stay. We learnt about family life on the river, got to eat scrumptious food and were taken out on three boat trips a day to spot wildlife with Shavez and Chun. We were lucky to see the orang utan that everyone wants to see but also many other forms of incredible birdlife. We loved having breakfast on the boat and appreciated that staying with a family and not some great lodge gave us privacy, but also a small number of people on our boat, so we didn't feel overcrowd.
Our meals times were spent with Chavez and Chun discussing our findings from the day and my girls loved being given challenges by Shavez and they felt like little conservationists themselves. This is not our last trip with 1stopBorneo....we are hooked. We were so grateful to have been able to travel with two passionate and knowledgeable individuals. Get ready Shavez and Chun, we will be BACK!

Reviewed 4 March 2018

I joined a short trip to Mount Alab in mid-August 2017 that organized by 1StopBorneo Wildlife. Mount Alab is the highest mountain within the Crocker Range Park in Sabah with the height of 2,050 m. Not much people visit there if compare with the famous Kinabalu National Park. So, for those who prefer quiet and calm place, I would say that Mount Alab is a wonderful place to go. The mist at the mountain during the late evening was so thick until we couldn’t see one foot from the other. Besides, it would be nice to bring enough jackets and sweaters as there is very cold, especially during the night. I like the bryophytes (mosses, liverworts and hornworts) that grow along sides of the road. Just not far from the main office and hostel, there is a Nepenthes Garden where you can find different types of Nepenthes species. Trust me, they are so gorgeous! Other things that really fascinates me at Mount Alab are the unique and colourful moths. I think it would be a perfect place to go for those who interested in doing micro-photography on moths. Do contact 1StopBorneo Wildlife if you want to have a trip there! Email 1stopborneo@gmail.com and phone number +60128248052.

See more reviews
Reviewed 11 February 2018

I took an overnight trip to Ulu Belait with a guide, and it really was one of the best trips I have ever been on - and this is coming from someone who rarely enjoys a trek! The rainforest was just AMAZING!! We weren't lucky enough to see much wildlife, but the jungle itself is just so alive, it was so beautiful.

My guide, Richard, was an absolute joy to be around, and really made the trip what it was. His advice throughout was really invaluable, and his patience and kind spirit were dearly appreciated.

We stayed with a local Iban family in their longhouse, who were so warm and welcoming - it really provided a unique experience to have the opportunity to spend time with such incredible local people.

THANK YOU Shavez and Richard for being the kind souls that you are and speaking out about conservation. The world needs more people like you two :)