“OK Lunch Buffet”

Ranked #22 of 162 Restaurants in Statesboro
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 2 April 2018

Average lunch time buffet in an Holiday Inn. On the day I ate here, they were offering chicken and/or fish with trimming, salad, soup, and dessert. Not very many people were eating here that day which says a lot. But if you are hungry, for the money, this buffet is OK.

Reviewed 26 January 2018

We originally visited and reviewed Emma's a little over 2 years ago. The food and service were top notch. On subsequent visits we have noticed changes, including the departure of a previous chef. After that chef's departure we noticed a change in the food, not a large change, but enough to make us take notice. It wasn't quite as good as before.

On a recent visit a couple of weeks ago, we showed up around 8pm on a Friday evening. The place was empty other than 1 or 2 people at the bar. The person who waited on us was also mixing drinks at the bar.

My wife ordered the Pan-Roasted Chicken. I ordered (my favorite) Tuna Tartare for an appetizer and the Oyster Basket. They were out of oysters. This also killed my second choice of an Oyster Po' Boy. I decided to go with the two catfish tacos.

NOTE: They also informed us that they were out of their nightly special - Prime Rib.

My wife's chicken was good, but not great as other items have been here in the past.

My tuna was good, but I noticed that instead of putting it on a bed of avocado chunks (or chunky guacamole), it was creamy and smooth and reminded me of store-bought guacamole. The tuna was good, but the avocado was just okay.

My catfish tacos arrived with just a small amount of pico de gallo and a creamy chipotle on them. The tacos lacked moisture. Most fish tacos feature a similar chipotle sauce and some shredded cabbage or something. These tacos seemed very uninspired. The lack of moisture was the main thing. A bit more pico and chipotle cream would have helped, and I'm not asking for them to be swimming in it.

Overall, we left disappointed. The place seems to have lost its luster. I hear it was a very good lunch buffet, but this dinner and several past dinners here have only shown us that the place seems in decline. Is it a lack of dinner patrons? Is the current chef just not inspired? Who knows? Maybe a combination of many things.

That being said, I'm not sure we'd return. Experiencing a downward trend in food quality and seeing the lack of people eating here for dinner makes us wary to come back.

Reviewed 10 December 2017

We ate there with a group of 9 people and came away very happy and satisfied. Service was good as was the food. I had the pork loin entree which came as 3 large pork tenderloins plus mashed potatoes and veggies. I started very hungry but ended completely full. Wine list is decent. The house white is a chardonnay by Fish House and the house red is a Cabernet by Steak House both of which were good. The meals were reasonably priced with appetizers in the $6-10 range and entrees in the $18-25 range. Nine people with entrees, 2 bottles of wine, no appetizers, no desserts, with tip was under $250. We will definitely return if we have the opportunity.

Reviewed 9 December 2017

Decent food.
Excellent service.
Menu decent.
This is the Holiday Inn restaurant, It is trying hard to be more than just that.
If you are in town, this is a nice safe, clean place to go without the typical college crowd.

Reviewed 15 July 2017 via mobile

Amazing lunch buffet. Statesboro's best kept secret. One of only 3 must visit restaurants in Statesboro

Been to Emma's? Share your experiences!