“Best Holiday Let I have stayed in”

Review of Rennaldburn

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
Rennaldburn ~ secluded waterfall retreat
Rennaldburn ~ secluded waterfall retreat
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Any
Andreas B
London
“Best Holiday Let I have stayed in”
Reviewed 7 August 2016 for a stay in August 2016
person found this review helpful

We stayed with the family (two kids, 4 and 8) for three nights last week. Shen gave us a lovely welcome, and the place is magical. Quiet, in the middle of nature, and great to explore Eskdalemuir from. It's the best holiday let I have stayed in. Our little one was crying when we left, she wanted to stay longer. The kids liked the nooks and crannies very much.

Value Rooms
9 Aug 2016
I'm honoured by your accolade Andreas!
It was really lovely having you and your family to stay ~ I'm so glad it was a magical home from home for you.
Rennaldburn, Tashi and I will look forward to your next visit :)
All the very best, Shen
AyeWright
Scotland
“Magical!”
Reviewed 29 September 2015 for a stay in September 2015
person found this review helpful

I only stayed one night at Rennaldburn, and loved it so much I wish had been able to stay much longer - both for the wonderful and fantastic house and to explore more of the area. It's an old farmhouse with a touch of hobbithole about it - Shen the owner is an artist and her soul's touch is very evident all over the house and the property. You are forever discovering something new in all her marvellous decorations. The woodwork in the house is worth a visit by itself - it's as if it's been crafted by a disciple of Tim Steadman. The room I had was very spacious, comfortable bed - shared bathroom/shower/bath, but very clean. Rennaldburn is advertised as self-catering, but I was travelling without resources for that, and Shen was very accommodating, and provided a basic but satisfying (and vegetarian) breakfast. Very easy to find, just outside Eskdalemuir, on the other side of the village from Samye Ling, and an easy ramble to two standing stone circles. Very highly recommended especially for the traveller who likes the quirkier, off the beaten track kind of place. If you're staying any length of time here, there is a phenomenal library too - besides Shen herself being a great hostess with many stories to tell.

Rooms Cleanliness
Travelling group: Solo
Your age range 50-64
1 Oct 2015
So glad you enjoyed your stay; it's great when guests really 'get' the special spirit here at Rennaldburn ! And many thanks for your original, tragic-history-steeped song in old Scottish ~ a memorable performance.
I'll look forward to another visit :)
jaynie-al...
“Jaynie Allison”
Reviewed 22 July 2015 for a stay in July 2015
person found this review helpful

Myself and my husband and three little children stayed at Rennaldburn for a night after a visit to samye ling buddhist centre. Shen rented the whole side of the farm house to us for a very reasonable price. I cant describe just how tranquil and special this house is. Beautiful woodwork, stained glass windows, gorgeous tiling, hidey holes. My little ones thought it was great for hide and seek! I actually volunteered to cook dinner and do the washing up because i just loved the stunning wee hand made kitchen so much. Shen is unobtrusive, always warm and helpful and genuinely relaxed and understanding, Even with our whirlwind of a son! Everything was clean and cozy. Stay here. You won't find anywhere else like it. My husband describes it as "shire like". If you saw hobbits pottering about you would not be surprised. Magical surroundings, chilled and caring shen, beautiful, organic, peaceful farm house. We can't wait to go back.

25 Jul 2015
Dear Jaynie,
Thanks so much for your kind words! I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay so much :)
I loved having you and your lovely family here, and look forward to hearing your music next time you visit the shire ;)
Skylark88
Sunderland
“A Magical Stay”
Reviewed 24 June 2015 for a stay in June 2015

My husband and 2 friends were visiting the Monastery at Samye Ling and looked for a place to stay nearby so we could explore the area a little. We immediately fell in love with the colourful farmhouse and booked accommodation for the night. The weather was cold and wild but we couldn't have had more warm a welcome than we received from the lovely Shen. The area is rugged and beautiful, the surroundings of the farmhouse are just wonderful with a gushing waterfall in the garden! The house has so much beauty - Shen has brought such a lovely atmosphere to this fine old property with her wonderful artistic gift. It was a pleasure for the four of us to meet her and we enjoyed selecting things to read from her library of good books. We came away from Rennaldburn wishing we had more time to explore the area, as the weather was not on our side & we missed out on some of the lovely walks we would have liked to do. We did visit the village of Ettrick which was another amazing place with an ancient graveyard and is overlooked by a very high waterfall that feeds a large stream which gushes through the village. The four of us agreed we felt we had had a magical stay, it was really special and our lovely host Shen was certainly a big part of that. We look forward to a return visit in the future.

Value Cleanliness
Travelling group: Friends
30 Jun 2015
So glad you enjoyed your stay! It was great seeing you all having such a good visit despite the wild weather ~ hopefully next time you'll get some more sunshine :)
All is lush and green here now. Really look forward to seeing you all again too so you can experience some more of Rennaldburn's many moods!
Lizsum
Dolgellau, United Kingdom
“An unexpected gem!”
Reviewed 3 June 2015 for a stay in May 2015

My husband and I travelled a long way from Wales on business and decided to book two nights accommodation at Rennalburn. We were delighted to find ourselves in a colourful and friendly old farmhouse with our kind and thoughtful host, Shen. Our 9 month old baby was also made to feel very welcome and even had goodnight songs sung to him before bedtime! I would happily recommend staying at Rennalburn and we're looking forward to returning next year.

6 Jun 2015
So glad you enjoyed your stay! It was lovely having you all here ~ and I think I've found the ideal audience age for my songs :)
Looking forward to your visit next year,
All the best,
Shen
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing