“Horrible. Seriously Bad.”

Blue Smoke Barbeque
Ranked #38 of 94 Restaurants in Blue Ridge
Description: The best barbeque around! Come see why we are world famous! We serve up brisket, pulled pork, baby back ribs and more...plus we have vegetarian options as well including an incredible Smoked Portabella Sandwich!
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

You know that feeling you get when you walk in a place of business and you feel like you’re intruding on the employees? That’s what you’ll get when you walk into Blue Smoke BBQ. I went to the counter and the kid just looked at me. Literally, he said nothing (although he did give me a look as if he had just done something he shouldn’t have) until after I placed my order. I should have walked out without ordering based on the strange vibe I was getting but I ordered the Baby Back Ribs with a side of mac n cheese and hoped for the best. Sadly, hoping for things often leaves you empty-handed. The ribs were the absolute WORST I have ever tasted. Ever. By far. Seriously. Not even kidding. They were disgusting. They practically required a knife to tear apart and they essentially tasted like and had the texture of a chunk of bone-in ham. YUCK! The mac n cheese and sauces were actually pretty good but the horrible ribs made me quit eating after less than 2 of the 8 bones. Since I ordered them to go, I did not drive all the way back from my cabin for a refund. $20 very poorly spent. I almost never write restaurant reviews but I was so dissatisfied with my experience that I couldn’t help it this time. I truly hope my experience was a fluke but if this is the status quo then I highly doubt this place will last very long.

HarvestonMain, Owner at Blue Smoke Barbeque, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thank you for your feedback. We are not certain what happened with the ribs, but we smoke our ribs every day. Our philosophy on ribs is that they stay on the bone, not fall off as you pick them up - because then really what you have is pulled pork. We like to pull our ribs apart and eat them from the bone. Sorry they were not to your liking.
We have a crew of young men who work the front - and occasionally a young lady - a couple of them may tend to look surprised, but they are all very friendly and we'll work harder on making sure they smile. Sometimes they are just waiting for an order, one of our team is a little shy - we're working on that - so I am not sure who it was that waited on you, but we apologize that he didn't fit that cheerful profile we like to have when you came in.
We're glad you liked the sides.
Thank you for your feedback, it's only been a few weeks since we've opened, but we really appreciate your outlook on our future and the time it took you to write the review. Luckily, there are lots of BBQ places in the area, all with different styles - so there is plenty to choose from. Heck, even Arby's has BBQ and it may be a perfect fit for you!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Really was hopping for good BBQ in Blue Ridge.
With this being one of Danny's restaurants, I figured it would be great. My wife got the Brisket and I got the pulled pork. The pork was OK, but the Brisket was mostly fat. I really would never served something like that. We were also charged $1.00 each for water. When I told the kid that was against Georgia Law, he said he knew nothing about that and would not back down. I would think Danny would train his guys better. Not again.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post the review. We were talking to the staff about your experience and they had said you said you planned on calling us, wish you had, because we could have explained to you and to the staff that if someone orders a combo they can offer them a bottle of water if they don't want the fountain drink.

It's a new restaurant and new questions come up daily. And yes, we do train our team to the best of our ability, but you never know when some new road bump may come up. And y'all hit one that day. And while it is common courtesy to provide water for free, its not really a law, we do have to pay for cups and ice and straws and lids. Regardless, we would never charge for tap water. We don't charge for the lemons that people ask for on their water either even though that's another cost to restaurants. Restaurant margins aren't that big - not like say for example retail or banking or well pretty much anything else - but this is the profession we have chose and we love hospitality!

So, Thank you for the learning opportunity - the water issue is now handled!

We do mix a bit of lean and fatty brisket into each sandwich - we also offer just lean or more fatty options - you just need to let them know when you order. Personally, I love fatty brisket and burnt ends. But everyone has their own tastes!

Also we are more than happy to fix any sandwich that is too fatty or if you are unsatisfied. But I think the $2.00 fountain drink charge made it difficult for you and the young man at the counter to have a constructive conversation. I am really sorry you were dissatisfied. We honestly like to be sure we keep everyone happy and filled with BBQ joy. But if you know Danny and Michelle, you know this already - we're never happy when anyone is dissatisfied with food.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We were really craving some good barbecue and thought we’d give this place a shot on 6/10. There were 10 of us at lunchtime, 3 were kiddos. The food just wasn’t great and the sauces were strange. The sauces had potential, but seemed “halfway there” to being good sauce. The Brunswick stew reminded me of vegetable beef soup. My brother ordered a banana pudding from the case for his pregnant wife and had to return it. It was way past it’s prime and sour. The cashier candidly told him that it had been in there awhile when he asked for a refund. The fries were good though.

We don't have much of a response. We had a training issue taking in rotation and you were completely correct on your banana pudding. My sincere apologies. We've worked through that and addressed the Brunswick Stew, which the recipe calls for a chunky stew, it's simply the way they scooped and served it. We were certainly wrong there as well.

We had only been open for a week when you came, no excuse for bad training, but we hope you will try us again soon!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We ate lunch there and split the platter between 2 adults a 1 child. The meat, which is where any great bbq shines, was outstanding! Perfectly smoked with a beautiful char. I was in heaven, I love a burnt end and had one on a small end piece. The sides of baked beans and potato salad were great. We took home a large portion there was so much food. I've eaten at every bbq place in N Ga, and this is hands down the best!!

1  Thank Tracy M

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Sending you some smokey love.....

The Blue Smoke team

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

The guy who gave this place a 1 star rating must have been smoking crack! We were there for lunch today with a party of 7 for an early Father’s Day lunch. We tried a little bit of everything and the food was on point! From the pulled pork, tri-tip, brisket, portobello mushroom sandwich, ribs, smoked salmon, wings, Brunswick stew, baked beans, potato salad, collards and french fries....all delicious! The staff was great and very attentive! Cody, the kitchen manager, made sure we were taken care of in every way! The homemade sauces were amazing! Don’t let the the cash only sign scare you away from this gem! They have an ATM onsite for a small $2 charge! We will be back very soon!!!

1  Thank datrn

Thank you so much for your feedback! We have had some growing pains since opening in late May and I am sure we will have more, but we are so grateful for your review and for coming to visit.

And for your next visit...we now take credit cards! So if you are low on cash and craving so great Q ...no worries!