All reviews the main hotel golf course sandpiper building hutchinson island ocean view resort fee main pool pool bar nice resort an umbrella beach access baja grill lounge chairs family vacation small fridge short drive king bed
Reviewed 27 March 2016

Stayed one week in March 2016 at the main hotel. We stayed in a king room poolside. The room was updated, the mattress was comfortable, nice linens and the room clean. The hotel is family oriented, lots of families with young children at the pool all day and night. The outdoor speakers are playing music all day until after 10 PM as well. One night there was a fight in the hallway on our floor one night, the police were called. If you are looking for a quiet get-a-way vacation a poolside room is not for you. Example: One day a bus full of late teenage baseball players arrived and the next day a bus full of teenage female lacrosse players arrived - there goes any semblance of a quiet day at the pool. I was told by another guest that perhaps not all the visitors at the pool are hotel guests. Rumor has it that locals use the pool as no one checks guest status(?!) Took the shuttle to the beach a few times, very nice beach - umbrellas and chairs are available for a fee. Rough surf/rip tide not suitable for kids or weak swimmers. Lots of surfers to watch though! Overall, the hotel, staff and property are very nice. It just depends on your expectations. My expectations were more refinement in a Marriott property. It was explained to me that the word "resort" in the hotel name would elicit a more family type property than the relaxing and quiet I had envisioned.

Room Tip: Poolside is noisy.
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
Hutch_Marriott75, General Manager at Hutchinson Island Marriott Beach Resort & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2016

Dear Cindy C,

We are happy we could host you for a week's stay, and to know that you were very pleased with your comfortable, clean room accommodations, and that you found us to be a very family friendly resort. We are glad you were able to enjoy both our pool, and the beach area, and that you felt well taken care of while here with us. Thank you for also sharing your comments on some of you concerns about the resort. Our resort does play host to many groups, including sports team, and because of our property size, many use our shuttle service to get around. We appreciate that you shared that your expectations for a more quieter stay were not fulfilled, but for the most part, that you did enjoy your Spring Break with us.

Reviewed 25 March 2016

We stayed in the Sandpiper Tower in a suite with a great view. We were right next to the stairs leading to the boardwalk so we were only steps away from the beach. The room and separate bedroom were very large with a nice kitchen. The sofa sleeper was similar to a Mid Evil torture device and there weren't enough pillows supplied with the extra bedding. The sofa sleeper sheets also had holes in them. For nearly $500/night I'd like my own pillow. The property is a $5 Uber ride away from some great restaurants. I would go back, but not for that price.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled with family
Hutch_Marriott75, General Manager at Hutchinson Island Marriott Beach Resort & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2016

Dear Jane M,

We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay at our resort staying at the Sandpiper Tower suite, and that you loved the great view, and location, only steps away from the beach. Thanks for sharing that you were very pleased with your large and spacious accommodations including the kitchenette. We do apologize for the lack of pillows and your linens, and have taken note of these to share with our Housekeeping Department to make the necessary changes for future guests. We appreciate your review, and hope when you are returning to the area, we will welcome you back.

Reviewed 21 March 2016

Every hotel gets a great deal of abuse, just in the normal run of business. Ocean-side resort hotels get even more than most, because the hotels are filled with kids, wet bathing suits, noisy parties, drunks, and lots more. So it is imperative that management stay on their toes and minimize that wear-and-tear, because once the rot sets in it is hard to eradicate. Sadly, this hotel is right on the cusp of falling the wrong way.

I visited this Marriott for three days in February when I was in Stuart for some business meetings, and right away I could see it was not keeping up with the times. The lobby was small and cramped, with two PCs perched on a table to serve as their business center. The check-in staff was very nice but they were having computer problems and their conversation hinted this wasn't the first time.

The bellman walked me to my room, and I'm glad he did: the serpentine, open-design layout is hard to navigate until you get the hang of the layout. The elevator was severely worn and slow. The hall carpets had burn marks in them and the walls needed a fresh coat of paint.

The room was adequate but not up to the usual Marriott Standards; things were clean and tidy, but worn and out-of-fashion. I had to crawl under the desk to plug-in my laptop. There was an odd little kitchenette that seemed to serve no purpose. The WIFI was adequate but I had to keep re-signing in as I moved about the hotel. The TV was low resolution and the time to change channels was slow. There was a little bit of mold between the bathroom tiles; the faucets and fixtures were old, the toilet noisy and presumably an old design without the modern water-saving features. One of the lamps teetered precariously on its base. The patio overlooking the pool was nice but nothing special. As RHM-64 notes, it is just "an okay place to stay." Most Marriotts (especially resort Marriotts) strive to do better.

On the other hand, the maid did a lovely job tidying up the room and arrayed my bathroom items with such care, and such a nice, thoughtful note, that I was quite impressed.

Equally surprisingly, the breakfast restaurant was very nice. I ordered the corn-beef hash with poached eggs and it was terrific. The breakfast bar was well-equipped although the omlet station was slow. Overall, the staff was excellent. I particularly want to compliment the lovely lady who chatted with me about the years she lived in Connecticut (my home); she had a real eye for service and brought me coffee, juice and a smile every morning. I wish I had noted her name.

The pool looked very pleasant and the pool bar did a nice job on drinks and light snacks; my hat is off to those hard-working souls.

Allow me to highlight the "business center" fiasco again as an example of the hotel doing exactly the wrong thing. The "business center" consists of two old, slow PCs sharing a printer, perched on a table in the center of the lobby. I needed to print some documents for my meeting, but the system required a credit card to use it. Look at the attached photo; the red arrows highlight all the "pay" commands. WHAT? You're charging me $200+ a night for a room and then you want to charge me again to print two pages of paper? Are you that desperate? I'm sorry, but that's not acceptable in today's business world. Basic PC services are essential to business and should be included in the cost of doing business.

So here's how it sums up: the facility is old and needs a facelift. The digital services were below par. The public spaces were worn and the room was tired. The staff, on the other hand, from check-in, to housekeeping, to the restaurant, to the pool, all were excellent, warm and friendly and delivered decent service with a warm smile.

You decide how the value-proposition works for you. I don't think I will be back.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank PilotMike2009
Hutch_Marriott75, General Manager at Hutchinson Island Marriott Beach Resort & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2016

Dear PilotMike2009,

We thank you for being a loyal Marriott guest. Please accept our sincerest apologies regarding your recent stay at our hotel. As a beachfront property, our hotel requires continual maintenance to combat the invasive salt air and we do our best to stay on top of everything that needs to be done. Your valued feedback tells us we still have work to do and we will be reviewing these issues immediately with both our maintenance and housekeeping staff to ensure everything is taken care of. We also appreciate your feedback on our business center, and will plan to revisit our policies and procedures. We are happy to know that our staff, on the other hand, from check-in, to housekeeping, to the restaurant, to the pool, all were excellent, warm and friendly and delivered decent service with a warm smile. We are glad you felt well taken care of while here with us.

Once again, we are very sorry that our property did not live up to your expectations, but we do appreciate that you took the time to let us know where we may have fallen short in terms of achieving your complete satisfaction.

Reviewed 21 March 2016

My wife and I spent a few days here and found the level of service throughout the property to be outstanding. Employees say hello when you pass them and everyone from Brad the resort manager to the breakfast hostesses go out of their way to provide excellent service. Our room in the main hotel was large and recently refurbished and also included some basics that are missing in so many hotels such as having a bedside lamp that provides two plugs for recharging on both sides.

The breakfast buffet is not large but good and the made-to-order eggs/omelets and smoked salmon were great. A very minor negative was that the cantaloupe and honeydew in the fruit choices had a strong chemical taste on the two days we ate there. The other fresh fruit was fine.

The main attraction here is the genuine feeling from check-in to departure that they really care about their guests. We would certainly return here when we return to the area.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled with family
Hutch_Marriott75, General Manager at Hutchinson Island Marriott Beach Resort & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2016

Dear Perli33,

It makes us happy to know that you felt the main attraction at our resort was the genuine feeling from check-in to departure that we really care about our guests, and making your stay, a great one! Thank you for taking the time to share that you and your wife enjoyed your few days here at the resort, and that you found the level of service throughout the property to be outstanding, with everyone going out of their way to provide excellent service! We are happy to know your were pleased with your room accommodations in the main hotel finding it large and recently refurbished, with lots of the basics that are missing in so many hotels including a bedside lamp that provided two plugs for recharging on both sides. We are glad you are very pleased with our breakfast buffet, especially the made-to-order eggs/omelets, and the smoked salmon.

We appreciate that you took the time to share your wonderful experience with us, and we will look forward to welcoming you back when you return to the area.

Reviewed 16 March 2016

We recently spent a week here and it served our purposes - a place to bathe and sleep as the rest of the time we were on local day trips. The location just over the bridge onto Hutchinson Island is convenient. The hotel itself can use some refreshing; it was clean but our room's furnishings needed some updating. We overlooked the pool area which appeared nice, a bit noisy at times, but as we didn't use it we can't comment more. There is also a restaurant on site but we didn't eat there. The front desk staff was great and that saves a very good rating as housekeeping was spotty - failure to empty a full wastebasket, not refilling the coffee service another time, not emptying an ice bucket full of water. Although we're also rating this very good for location and cleanliness, when compared to other Marriott properties, our overall rating is average. An okay place to stay if that is the main reason for booking a room.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
Hutch_Marriott75, General Manager at Hutchinson Island Marriott Beach Resort & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2016

Dear RHM-64,

We are happy to know that you enjoyed your week's stay with us, and that our location worked well for all of your day trip plans. Thanks for sharing that you were pleased with our resort overall, serving your purposes, and that our front desk staff was extremely helpful to you! We apologize for any missteps with our housekeeping services, and have taken note of these for our team to take a look at. We appreciate your review, and we hope when you are visiting the area again, we can welcome you back!