“Naval Air Museum - Pensacola ”

National Naval Aviation Museum
Ranked #1 of 69 things to do in Pensacola
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Experience the magic of flight at the National Naval Aviation Museum! See over 4,000 artifacts and 150 aircraft representing Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard Aviation. Ride the flight simulators or catch all the drama and power of amazing IMAX films. Dine in the authentic Cubi Bar Cafe and take home the spirit of Naval Aviation with a unique memento from the Flight Deck Store. Spend a cool day inside the Museum and experience Hands-on-History! New Naval Air Station Entrance: All visitors to the National Naval Aviation Museum, Fort Barrancas and Pensacola Lighthouse who do not possess a Department of Defense identification card or are unescorted by the holder of a Department of Defense identification card, will be required to enter the installation via the West Gate located off Blue Angel Parkway.
Useful Information: Stairs / lift, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

A very pleasant surprise nearing the end of another gulf coast family vacation. Toward the end of another great family vacation, too much beach, too much fishing and one begins to get a case of vacation fatigue. It was suggested a few of us drive the 1 1/2 hours to visit this museum. Too far to travel was my original thought, but I decided last minute to go. I was well rewarded for my patience. If in the Pensacola area, this truly is a must see. We had a 2 hour guided tour of the entire museum given by a very knowledgable and articulate Vietman vet helicopter pilot. His stories and presentation manner flowed so smoothly and professionally that at the end of two hours, he concluded his presentation leaving you wanting more. I'd highly recommend taking time to make the effort to visit this place if possible. Not only will you learn about naval air history from the beginning, you'll see and touch the actual planes that the presenter is talking about. It' reminds me of a children's petting zoo, except this is for all ages. There are no do not touch signs like you find in the typical museum. They encourage you to touch anything in the place. I learned a lot in the few hours we were there and as museums go, I'd rate this one near the top. An easy 5 star choice.

1  Thank Greg H
Write a ReviewReviews (5 823)
All reviews
"nas pensacola"
in 55 reviews

240 - 244 of 5 823 reviews

Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

A free museum and free parking. All adults have to show id at various times since you will go on a military installation. Skylab command module looks amazing . They have it lit up from the inside and you can see the cabin very well. You will never see a greater collection of sea planes in one place.

Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

The museum and staff are excellent it’s on the naval base so ID is required but they were very nice our GPS took us to the wrong gate they explained it happened a lot and told us where to go the entrance is off blue angles drive but once there it was fantastic

Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

The chief and I had wanted to visit here and Lo and behold the blue angels were practicing the day we visited. What a marvelous place. My dad was at Pearl Harbor when bombed and they have both the Japanese zeros and the american planes. Must see!!

See more reviews
Reviewed 27 June 2018

My father and I toured the museum on a recent trip to Orange Beach. It was fantastic!

We took the flight line tour first thing after arriving since the nice lady at the information desk warned us the cancel later tours sometimes when it's really hot.

The tour driver was a retired military pilot and gave a very entertaining and educational tour. We even got to see (from a distance) where they were working on refurbishing some of the planes.

The museum itself is very well put together with a LOT of planes and exhibits. Several planes we've seen before, but a lot we'd never seen before. They have a lot of ship models as well as life-sized dioramas that help give context to the planes you're learning about.

The museum is obviously maintained by people who love the planes they showcase and want to share that with the world.

We didn't have children with us, so we didn't spend much time at the displays aimed at kids, though they looked informative and engaging.

I can't recommend this museum enough to anyone who loves planes like we do. We enjoyed our visit at least as much as we did the Smithsonian Air and Space museums.