“Hot food, cold snow”

The Crown, Aldbourne
Ranked #2 of 2 things to do in Aldbourne
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Arrived when snow (and abandoned cars) still kept the Marlborough/Swindon road closed.
Hadn't booked, but four of us hungry for Sunday roast. We were not disappointed! A generous board full with meat, roast potatoes and Yorkshire puds in the middle of our table was a sight for empty tums and we were soon tucking in once we'd helped ourselves to that and veggies too. Did ask for more cabbage but due to the shortage (caused by weather) they were unable to offer more.
Very happy with our impromptu Sunday lunch. Thank you

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Lovely meal for Father’s Day, excellent roast and perfect Cornish fish and chips, good service, excellent value & a guest beer at £2:50 per pint, everything an English pub should be!

Reviewed 4 June 2018

Yesterday, My Wife and I visited The Grown at Aldbourne! we were both looking forward to a good old British Roast! what a let down! a very poor excuse for a roast Dinner! anemic Roast Potatoes poorly cooked Vegetables meat just ok and as for the excuse for a Yorkshire pudding I wouldn't have fed that to the local pigs -never ever tasted like a real Yorkshire Pudding! just like old dough no taste what so ever! and for me to leave a Yorkshire is a no - no not in this case! very poor the whole Dinner couldn't wait to get away from the place hence will not be returning to the Grown! maybe they should employ a good chef not someone who says he or she is a real Chefs very poor won't be recommending to friends or family or my enemies

2  Thank cushman1948
Reviewed 29 June 2017 via mobile

On arrival, in the beautiful village, you may think you've got the wrong place! once you get over the initial shock, what you have is a village pub, one of two, with rooms! Food is actually good snd they serve a number of ales. The room was very clean and comfortable, if not a little noisy from locals outside at 4am!!
The ensuite is 'tiny', there's no room to duck down into the sink for a wash! The toilet is a 'macerator' that continues to chomp away for some time after!!!
Breakfast this morning was a non event! Having arranged for 8am I came down to the place in darkness! I was locked in! I had to go searching the place for any sign of life! I eventually woke up the person who was supposed to be cooking my breakfast! he quickly threw on some clothes and came down with me! no wash! therefore no breakfast! luckily there is a lovely little cafe at the back of the post office !

I wont be staying at The Crown again!!

1  Thank Jeff C