“A Nice Lunch”
Review of Greektown Taverna

Greektown Taverna
Ranked #4 of 220 Restaurants in Ormond Beach
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Our first time was lunch. The interior was clean and pleasantly decorated. The server was polite and quick. We ordered the gyro sandwich and a side. We ended up bringing half our sandwiches home. We will order the gyro platter next time and share. The food was delicious.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

A delicious meal awaits for those who already love Greek food and those who are new to the cuisine.

The restaurant occupies a large corner space in a shopping center. Please do. ot allow the location to put you off 5e path to thier front door. The space bright, open and very comfortable. My husband and I dined on a Tuesday evening and were pleasanty surprised to see many tables were full, and a steady flow fo customers came in as we ate.

Our server, Laurie, introduced herself and offered a great explanation of the different menusoffered during the hours we were there. The Taverna, or “happy hour” menu is served until 7:00pm. That menu kffers a great sampling of the main menu as smaller plates, at reduced pricing. you may combine Taverna plates and main menu plates, or just order from either menu.

My husband had pork and chicken kebabs with pilaf and roasted potatoes. Although we usually trade a bite or teo of food, we did. ot last night. He ate every morsel of food on his pate and was very happy with each element. He said the kebabs were just right on flavor, tenderness and degree of cooking. His potatoes had a lovely golden crust and looked absolutey delicious.

I opted for an appetizer portion of Dolmades from the main menu and a creamy feta dip from the Taverna menu. The Dolmades are made with beef and rice. This was the first time I had Dolmades with meat. I found the filling to be a tad dry, but it was flavorful none the less. I could really taste the mint and the Avegolemono sauce on the top brought a brightness to the beef. The appetizer portion is huge. I brought three pieces home with me.

The creamy feta dip is served a choice of pita, house made pita chips or both. I went with the combination choice and I am so glad I did. The pita itself is. ot mad in bouse, but it has the lovely texture of a well crafted bread. It was a great base for the in house chips which were crisp, tender, crunchy and fluffy all at the same time. I ate every. last. one. so delicious. even the wrmed up wedges of pita were lovely. The feta itself was smooth and silky, though very very salty. Feta is salty by nature. I knew this going in. At first I thought it was going to be too salty for me to enjoy, but I kept at it. Ha! The joke was on me. I ate almost the entire plate. I think so e fresh lemon and or some chopped fresh herbs on top migt be a great enhancement to the cheese and help balance the salt.

Laurie delivered the dessert menu to us and told us all of the desserts are made in house. We were too sated to consider a sweet after the mesl, but the descriptions were tantilizing and prices were quite reasonable.

The owner of the restaturant was greeting diners table-side which is something I really like to see.
Greektown Taverna is more than worth the trip. We look forward to eating here again.

Taki D, Owner at Greektown Taverna, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

OPA!
Thank you for dining with us Shari!

Reviewed 15 March 2018

Taki and the crew at Greektown Taverna are extremely hospitable! We walked in super late, close to closing time. We were greeted warmly at the door and seated. We apologized for being "those" people - coming in at the last minute. We were told to take out time. There were still several other tables getting through their dinners. Our drink order was taken. We were given ample time to look over the menu. We ordered an appetizer first. They brought it right out. We placed our orders for our main entrees. Ingredients were fresh, aesthetically the dishes were plated superbly. The aromatics of the dishes were enticing. The taste of the food was so delicious and created a symphony of flavors in your mouth. Portions were just right and all the items ordered were priced right. I would highly recommend this place for business luncheons, family dinners, date nights and catering! Any time is a great time to eat at Greektown Taverna!

Reviewed 13 March 2018 via mobile

My salad was mostly green peppers. The Gyro had four slivers of meat and was chock full of green pepper. The bathrooms are absolutely disgusting

Taki D, Owner at Greektown Taverna, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2018

Hi Eric,
Thank you for visiting mine and my family's restaurant. As a family owned business we take pride in our product and our facilities, we treat our restaurant like we treat our home. Our restaurant and bathrooms were remodeled a little over two years ago and we maintain them very well. Our bathrooms are cleaned once or twice a day and we constantly check for messes throughout each shift.

Eric, I am sorry to tell you but we don't put green peppers on any of our Gyro dishes. Maybe you had something else? As you can see from pictures that myself and other reviewers posted on this page, our Gyro Sandwich is full of meat and is topped with onions, tomatoes and tzaziki sauce. I'm not sure which salad you had but our standard for a small Greek salad has about five chunks of green peppers(depending on the size of the chunks.)

Again thank you for visiting Greektown Taverna, I hope you try us again soon. Next time you come in be sure to introduce yourself.
Taki
Owner

Reviewed 10 March 2018 via mobile

After seeing their ad in local publications bragging their selection as the winner of the best Greek restaurant, I had to check them out. Hidden in a plaza, I was a bit skeptical, but all that changed as soon as we entered the door and we were lead to our reserved table. Every sign was both in Greek and English. Happy hour lasted until 7 with 2 for one house wines and beers for $2 and $3.
A two sided menu offered both small and full dinner portions of many Greek specialties. We started with Saganki, cheese flambeed with brandy and served with toast points. Excellent! Our calamari was very tasty as well.
I chose a combo plate with three specialties. Love moussaka. The pastitsio and dolmades were equally good. Came with choice of two sides.
My wife had a gyro that she described as the best she ever had. Others chose lamb chops, roast lamb, and a pasta dish.
Prices were very reasonable. I’ll return. You should too.

Been to Greektown Taverna? Share your experiences!