“Premium Rich Tonkotsu Ramen”
Review of Momi Ramen

Momi Ramen
Ranked #1 218 of 4 797 Restaurants in Miami
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 28 June 2018

Premium quality ingredients, super rich tonkotsu broth, amazing freshly made noodles are just some of the things that make this little ramen shop a real gem! I was very fortunate to be introduced to this great little place during my short stay in Miami and truly enjoyed my experience here.

Ramen has its humble origin as a working-class sustenance for the cash strapped but Momi elavates the iconic Japanese noodle dish to an art form. The ramen at Momi uses Tonokatsu, a rich pork bone based soup with a ton of flavor. Tonkotsu was my favorite style of soup for ramen in my younger days. These days in my old age, I tend to gravitate toward the lighter version of clear shio (salt) or shuyo (soy sauce) soup based ramen but the tonokatsu soup at Momi is serious business and a real indulgence that worth the calories. The pork bones are simmered for 18 hours so all the goodness of the bone marrow becomes part of the milky creamy golden soup that compliments the freshly made noodle.

Now let me talk about the noodles! Some of the serious sushi or ramen joints would refuse to sell takeouts because they are meant to be eaten within minutes and the freshness and texture of the food would be spoiled when they sit in takeout containers. The noodles in Momi are freshly made daily and cooked to perfection. I had the pleasure to try ramen in the signature tonkotsu broth as well as some other dishes including a few "dry noodles" not in broth. My favorite was a freshly made pappardelle with wagyu beef. I also really enjoyed a simple noodle dish with wasabi, chili oil, and other seasoning that highlight the awesomeness of the noodle. I wish I had more than one stomach so I could finish the noodles prepared for me! But they do fill you up.... The ingredients and fixings are great stuff. I sampled some Spanish pork collar/neck meat, kobe beef, oxtail, and pork intestines with my noodles. So rich, flavorful and delicious. But now that I am back home, I miss the simple minimalist noodles with a ton of thin scallions the most.

I was fortunate enough to get some behind the theme access and enjoyed some of the off-menu creations. From the simple incredible fluffy scrambled eggs with chunks of crab meat and kobe beef filet to the more exotic fares of pork intestine and eel, each dish was executed to perfection.

The chef is a serious foodie who enjoys eating, making good food, and feeding people who appreciate his food. The chef is uncompromising and Momi seems more a playground for him to have fun with food than a business to make a living. The quality of the food command a premium price. The food here is rich and distinctive and may not be for everyone. But if you enjoy tonkotsu ramen and are willing to pay for quality, this is a place is not to be missed.

Reviewed 12 June 2018

I enjoyed the ramen. Not sure how authentic it was but I believe it clearly had quality ingredients. Having said that $30-$35 for a bowl of soup (even in Brickell) is crazy. Oh, and it's cash only. Tiny little place. I won't be back.

Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

We had a great lunch in here - bowl of ramen and goyza between us but wow the prices are outrageous!! $35 for a bowl of ramen is incredible - too much. Service was good and efficient - make sure you take cash. I may go again but for those prices would think about it.

Reviewed 6 January 2018 via mobile

The ramen itself is quite good, big portion and good taste. Not the best I have tried, but definitely good. Having said that, the prices are outrageous! I paid $35 USD for a bowl of Beef Brisket ramen and then the waiter wanted me to give her a $5 dollar tip. That's $40 USD for a single person. If you go with friends or your family you'll end up broke. Then.. The place only takes cash payments, but "conveniently" they have a 3rd party ATM machine inside the restaurant that takes a big commission from your bank. Which in my point of view it's more of a business for them than actually being any "convenient" for the costumers. But, if you don't mind paying the price go for it! But bring cash. I don't recommend using their 3rd party ATM.

Reviewed 7 December 2017

$33.00 for a bowl of FAKE RAMEN is unacceptable! On top of that RUDE service is just not right. Tip is not a given. Tip is given for good service and good food at the customer's discretion. If as a server you want a big tip, you have to work for it. First of all Ramen is not a fancy dish, it would be considered on the same level as pizza is for Americans. Are you going to pay $10 - $15 for a slice of pizza? I don't think so. Ramen does not cost more than $10.00 in Tokyo and $15.00 in New York. Momi is not a Japanese Ramen shop, it is a Chinese business. The food is Chinese- Japanese fusion. This restaurant is taking advantage of the people that live or visit Miami by overcharging because the city lacks Ramen shops.The food was a Chinese-Italian pasta soup. How is it that Momi can charge way more than at a decent real Japanese Sushi restaurant? Where the price for two people including drinks is no more than $50.00! I think it is outrageous for this restaurant to call itself Japanese! I will never recommend this place nor return again.