“Nice date night”

Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 28 June 2018

Place gets crowded-dining inside & out. Dishes are ecclectic, different. Known for their crab cakes, hubby found them to be above average.

Reviewed 26 June 2018 via mobile

I surprised my wife by reserving a hard to get table on Mother's Day! She had told me about a previous visit (years earlier) and described the crab cakes as being the thickest she had ever seen! She wasn't kidding!!
I had not been to that part of St. Petersburg in 50 years! Wow! All of these neat older homes and bungalows turned into eclectic restaurants! Backfin Blue Cafe is no exception! As we walked from our parking space (limited on street parking) past a huge Bayan tree I couldn't help but notice the variety of cafes and music emanating on both sides of the street!
We were greeted and promptly seated at our table! There is nice outdoor seating available as well! Our server was pleasant and most efficient and took our drink orders quickly! (Not like the restaurant I reviewed last year for Valentine's dinner in Spring Hill! We would still be waiting for our water!) My wife and I ordered 4 appetizers: broiled asparagus with seasoning (wonderfully tender), smoked mahi mahi fish spread; a fresh salsa inspired bruchetta with equally fresh garlic toast, and their puree corn and crab chowder! ALL MOST WORTHY!
For our entree's my wife ordered their house specialty Jumbo Lump Cakes ** I have to interject here that the vast majority of restaurants in Florida that offer crab cakes lie! A true crab cake is made only from jumbo lump crab meat with very little filling and only a smattering of spices! Backfin's crab cakes were indeed bountifully filled with jumbo lump crab and were at least 3" high! As a side, my wife had red skin mashed potatoes (perfect)! I ordered one of the specials, grouper stuffed with jumbo lump crab and a marvelous sauce! (I also had the potatoes)! Our meals and the service were superb! We will return again in the very near future! BRAVO

Reviewed 21 June 2018

A great spot to sit outside and enjoy a seafood meal. A relaxing spot. However its a bit pricey. Yummy crab cakes.

Reviewed 17 June 2018

We had a great seafood meal here while sitting outside on the porch enjoying the quiet, relaxing town. Try the corn and crab chowder!

Reviewed 27 May 2018

This is my husband’s favorite prime rib place, so that I hate to see him try it anyplace else. I love there lump crab cakes, always delicious. One of our favorite places to eat.