“Great food but service could be a lot better...”
Review of The Top

Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Child-friendly, Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: the TOP / prepped daily / fresh & local ingredients / see you soon
Reviewed 28 June 2018

I love the interesting food at The Top. I recently had the nori wrapped tempeh tacos, and they were great! I have always enjoyed the food. However, I have often had disappointing service. This latest time the waiter walked by multiple times and didn't notice my empty wine glass. I had to flag him down. I think a lot of waiters do not realize that if you keep the wine flowing, more money will be spent (more money for the business and more tips. Another time a woman who worked there wasn't even my waitress and made some motion to give her something and I had no idea what she wanted. She kept pointing while staying on the other side of the table. I had no idea, and my friends figured out she wanted the empty glasses. Why couldn't she walk over to my side of the table and collect them or at least use her voice and tell me what she wanted instead of pointing and making a weird scene. I would give the Top 5 stars if the waiters were trained on manners.

Reviewed 27 June 2018

This is my UF student daughter's favorite restaurant, so she insisted on dinner there during my recent visit. We arrived at about 5:30 and were seated immediately, but the place was nearly full already. I can see where people could wait for a long time to get a table. The restaurant is arranged in smaller rooms throughout and the decor is beyond eclectic, with different conversation pieces in each room. The drink menu had a mix of traditional favorites and house specialties; I would have appreciated a sangria but it certainly wasn't a deal breaker. There were several families with children as well as couples and groups of all ages.

Our group included a carnivore who prefers familiar food, a low-carb dieter, my adventurous daughter, and my vegetarian self. The menu offered something for each of us, and then some! We started with the corn nuggets, which were a nice appetizer as we waited for the entrees. My daughter always orders the Spicy Peanut Tofu, which is not too spicy (as I can attest; excellent flavor with very little heat). The carnivore's classic burger was enormous and he loved every bite. Low-carb's Parmesan Crusted Chicken with spaghetti squash was a hit. I tried the Pecan Tofu with garlic mashed potatoes and a rosemary-shiitake brandy cream sauce that was amazing.

I am particularly appreciative of the offerings for both vegetarians and vegans, integrated into the menu as normal rather than unusual or weird entrees. It took a while for our food to arrive, but understandably so given the extensive menu, the quality of the food, and the number of patrons. It was loud, but as another reviewer noted it was the noise of conversation as opposed to intrusive music. I would return in a heartbeat to try other menu items and have a thoroughly enjoyable evening.

1  Thank TMMM
Reviewed 25 June 2018

First time to The Top. I had the vegan chocolate cake, yum, large slice.
But I did not appreciate the smoking from nearby table (on the back patio).
Restaurant was packed and difficult to order. Got skipped several times. :(
Suggestion, don't go after dark. I couldn't wait to leave.

1  Thank G8rchomp
Reviewed 20 June 2018 via mobile

Always a great experience! You can’t go wrong here. This restaurant has a unique decor that gives it a special charm. The menu is fabulous and creative. We love to dine at the Top!

Reviewed 18 June 2018 via mobile

The food is good here, it is often quite crowded and sometimes difficult to get seated. That said I have always had great service, great food and drink. It is loud from chatter rather than TVs. It is s good restaurant with vegan options