“AJ's - Slipping, just a bit.”
Review of AJ's Oyster Shanty

AJ's Oyster Shanty
Price range: US$9 - US$95
Description: With over 30 years of being one of Destin's favorites, we wanted to bring AJ's to Okaloosa Island. Offering a wide variety of fresh seafood, cool libations, and live music...we sure do hope you swing by and let us know what you think!
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

Visited this place a few years ago while on family vacation (see former review). Atmosphere was still good coupled with their convenient location. Saturday evening was very busy and we did have a party of 9, so that can sometimes mean a bit longer wait time to be seated. They got us inside within 35 minutes, which is reasonable on a busy evening. Once our food order was placed, it was 40 minutes before our food was served. I ordered the AJ's fish sandwich that I found to be average at best. I sampled my granddaughters fryed shrimp, that I felt were cooked in rancid oil, giving the shrimp a very weird taste, not to my liking. It seems like AJ's has substantially changed their menu since our last visit. The wait staff seemed very young and somewhat overwhelmed on the busy Saturday night. It's still a good option in the area but it did seem like they'd lost a step from our last visit.

Destin4050, Social Media Relations at AJ's Oyster Shanty, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2018

Hi Greg,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry we did not exceed your expectations from your last visit. Did you mention your issues with your meal to your server? We know mistakes can happen in the kitchen and we would have been more than happy to justify mistakes made on our end. We never want a guest to leave feeling unsatisfied and would have done our best to make sure you and your party left happy with your experience. We do hope you will give us another chance in the future to make it up to you because I know we can do much better!

Reviewed 26 June 2018 via mobile

We ate here two nights ago and it was fabulous. Our first meal on our beach trip. Our server was attentive and the food was great. My husband and I should have split a meal. The serving sizes were huge! A bit pricey but worth it.

Destin4050, Social Media Relations at AJ's Oyster Shanty, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2018

Thank you for your recent 5 star review! I am so glad you enjoyed your meal, service, and fun atmosphere we have at Ajs Oyster Shanty. We hope you have a great vacation and come back to visit us soon!

Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

Went here first night crab balls had almost no crab service was slow
Wifes French onion soup was off . My friend shrimp had way to much pepper in batter do not reccomend this place

Destin4050, Social Media Relations at AJ's Oyster Shanty, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2018

Hi James,

I am sorry to hear your last experience was not as enjoyable as we would have liked. Did you mention your concerns to your server? These issues are much easier to fix in the moment versus at a later date. We never want a guest to leave unsatisfied and would have done our best to justify the situation. We do hope that you will give us a second chance in the future to make it up to you!

Reviewed 22 June 2018 via mobile

Good service and Fantastic food! Easy to get to it’s was right next to our condo and I highly recommend this place.

So glad to hear you enjoyed the food and service! We aim to provide a memorable experience to all of our guest and hope to see you back again soon!

Reviewed 20 June 2018 via mobile

Me and my husband each had a shrimp Po-Boy from here, the batter was light and not too greasy. The bread was nice and soft. So far the best Po-Boy I’ve had in this part of Florida. We also had a cocktail each, which was delicious, and we got to keep the novelty glasses which is a fun touch.

Hi SJ,

Thank you for your recent 5 star review! I am happy to hear that you and your husband both enjoyed your po-boy sandwiches and signature cocktails!