33 people are viewing this hotel
Expedia.comUS$574
CheapTicketsUS$574
Reviews (2 836)
2 836 results
All reviews grotto pool swim up bar heated pool beach side beach access ocean front beachfront room family vacation ramada pools destin pier ft walton gulf grill tiki
Selected filters
15 - 20 of 2 836 reviews
Reviewed 4 May 2021 via mobile

Loved the place! The staff there was amazing. This was one of the best business trips I’ve ever been on. Hands down a 10 out of 10. The lunch buffet was great and the views from the Maui Room on the 6th floor for our business meetings we’re amazing. I definitely recommend this place and hope to come back again real soon.

Trip type: Travelled on business
Charles Cruger, Guest Services / Front Office at The Island Ft Walton Destin by Hotel RL, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2021

Dear danieldavis134,

The ladies and gentlemen at The Island are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay so much! The Island is truly a paradise whether you are here on business, a family vacation, friends trip or a romantic getaway.

We hope to see you again soon on your next stay on the Emerald Coast!

Reviewed 2 May 2021 via mobile

First of all the hotel is beautiful, the decor, plenty of seating, restaurants, bars, bathrooms all around indoor/outdoor. Pools are amazing, the grounds are gorgeous greenery and water features. Right on the beach, you never have to leave, everything is right there. Friendly staff and nice newly renovated rooms. New destination vacation spot.

Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear Monique W,

Thank you for your kind comments and I will be sure to share with our ladies and gentlemen here at The Island. We hope to be your Island paradise home from home.

Reviewed 1 May 2021

If you are looking for a well maintained, quiet, relaxing, clean place to stay, then stay away from this hotel. My family and I had been planning this vacation for months and were very excited to visit Fort Walton for the first time. The room is very small, the AC system does not work so they have old units that make so much noise it’s hard to sleep. The refrigerator is also very old and noisy. There are no closets or space to keep your clothes. Housekeeping is an absolute disaster! Never made our beds or changed our towels. We had to go to the front desk twice to ask for these services. We stayed for a week and never got toilet paper ( had to buy our own). Even after speaking to the front desk manager, Charles, we did not get toilet paper. I went to use the laundry room and was charged triple the amount on my card. When I went to complain they told me it was just a hold until I left, but when I wanted to use the dryer, I was unable to use that credit and instead was asked to swipe my card again for another $10 hold. It is impossible to find any parking space so they send you to park to a public parking that is not even within the hotel premises. Even though Charles was very nice and apologetic, nothing was really done to make our stay more comfortable. The staff in general is nice (except for housekeeping they are nasty), but nobody really offers a solution to any of your concerns. First day we tried finding another hotel, unfortunately because we were staying an entire week, we were unable to find accommodations, but if I had the choice I would have left immediately. When I was finally fed up, I asked for the GM’s email and was denied the information. This hotel is more like a 1 star than a 3 star. First time in my life that it actually hurts me to pay for a hotel stay. You are better off staying at a Motel 6. DO NOT STAY HERE!

Trip type: Travelled with family
Charles Cruger, Guest Services / Front Office at The Island Ft Walton Destin by Hotel RL, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2021

Dear Soletravels2021,

We are sorry to hear that your stay didn't live up to you and your families expectations. The Island is a Historic Florida Beachside Hotel with a unique retro meet modern feel that cannot be found anywhere else. We have the largest gulf front property on FWB and have unique amenities such as our iconic Grotto Swim Bar that set us apart from any other. Housekeeping is a daily service provided in the pandemic but to provide antiquate safety to our guests and employees it can be limited. We always strive to do better and will continue to work on processes. I'm sorry for any unfulfilled requests. Our guest laundry services is a luxury provided to our guests for them to wash any personal items after their adventures. The laundry services do have a pre authorization for funds but what is not used is released back to the consumer.
The Island has become a guest favorite for generations and we look forward to welcoming our guests for a fun 2021 Summer!

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 27 April 2021

After i booked The Island Resort for our Anniversary Vacation, I found all the reviews, Good and the Bad. Our stay was April 22-26 and here is my honest review of the property.
We got to the Resort an hour before check in, but took the chance that out room was ready. The front desk ladies were very friendly and helpful. Our room was in fact ready and there was no issue after out long drive in. I was in and out in less than 10 minutes. (A+)
I see people complaining that the adds show the Beach tower and not the other 3 buildings. There are in fact 4 buildings that have rooms, The Sunrise (which is on the east) the Sunshine (which is at the north) the Sunset (which is the west side) and the Beach House (to the south).
We got the Sunset building and our room was an outside room facing the parking lot. Our room had 2 Full Size beds. Not complaining about not getting queens. It was just the 2 of us. The beds were actually comfortable, absolutely no complaints. Our room was clean on arrival and the AC ran like most hotels i stay at (I travel for work and stay at many hotels). Our mini fridge worked fine. There was no microwave but that wasn't really a factor for us. There are no closets but there is a rack to hang clothes, but you need your own hangers, this also wasn't a huge factor for us. I seen a lot of complaints about the shower head not having pressure, Ours had plenty and the water get hot quick. The glass shower doesn't have a door, and yes the water does get on the floor, but the floor towel did its job. My wife loved the lighting around the sink area. I also read noise was an issue. Our room was on a corner and right next to an ice machine. We never heard the Ice Machine once! Our room for the most part was quiet, just the normal people walking by or, cars parking. Just didn't experience the "paper thin Walls" comments i read.
Have i had better rooms, Absolutely, but we were more than satisfied with the room we stayed in. (A)
The Grotto bar was open, the swim up bar was not. You can swim or sun at the Grotto pool. We were not there to swim, but we did get some great photos of the waterfall and the grotto bar.
The heated pool wasn't too crowded, every time we walk by. Same with the Hot tub, maybe 4-6 people MAX in the hot tub every time we walked around it. Not going to give it a rating because we didn't get in any of them, but everything was open
Parking: Well.. For the most part, We had a great parking experience. Things do get crowded, weddings, events, and in the evening, parking can be a challenge. Most of the time we parked right next to our room. We ventured out Saturday into Destin and returned after midnight, and there were No Spots, BUT there is a Parking Garage on the east side for Overflow Island Guests. It was a bit of a walk to our room after a night out, but really not that bad. Sunday... The weather was amazing and the beach was packed, and there were non guests using spots. We went to dinner in Destin and came back and had to park at the front of the Hotel. Once the Sun started down and the beach goers left, i was able to go move the car to a closer spot. (
Housekeeping. Heard this was going to be an issue. Again, the ladies cleaned our room while we were out and left PLENTY of towels and face towels. (A)
We did not eat on property, but the Island Grille food did smell good. We did hang out at the Beach bar. The views are incredible. The Drinks were reasonable and really good. I recommend getting a bucket, you will thank me later. On Sunday, when they were at the busiest, they only had 1 bartender and he was really backed up. Overall (A)
The Beach, which is why we are there to begin with. Having direct beach access, PERFECT! Mother Nature only allowed 1 perfect day, but we made the most of it. Now we sat at the beach bar and took in the sights one of the day, another day it was extremely windy and the waves were high, and a little chilly on the beach itself, but Sunday more than made up for it.
I read about the beach chairs. Its not the Island that rents them. It is $40 a day for 2 chairs and an Umbrella. I saw where there were complaints that they make you sit behind the chairs and umbrellas if you bring your own chairs. WRONG, there were plenty of beach goers that brought their own chairs, Us included, and have great seats on the beach. (A++)
Checkout, wow, it was super seamless and i was in and out and on the road in less then 5 Minutes. I was asked how the stay was and thanked for staying. (A+)
Everyone is goin to have a different experience then the next person. I just wanted to share these to those who may be on the fence about booking. We will be back! We talked about it on our 8 hour drive home, and agreed that we would request the same building next time. The views from the Beach House, Gulf side and Pool Side are probably amazing too, but reading, that is where most of the reviews that complaints happen about noise happen. It is a short walk from everywhere on the property.
Thank you Island Resort for helping make our Anniversary very memorable!
PS: People this is a Beach resort..... There is gonna be sand...... Preplan.... clean your feet and things off at the 2 Showers coming back from the beach and that will help tremendously on keeping the sand down in your room. Just remember, you chose a vacation at the beach, don't complain about the sand. Just my .02

3  Thank robertwQ7782XP
Charles Cruger, Guest Services / Front Office at The Island Ft Walton Destin by Hotel RL, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2021

Dear robertwQ7782XP,

Thank you for your kind words. We look forward to welcoming you and your wife again soon!

Reviewed 23 April 2021

Pool with water fountain was too cold. My ten yea- old never gets cold and it was too cold for her. Plus it was dirty and had debri in it near hotel rooms. Only a few front desk people for the whole facility. If you have any problems no one answers or calls back. Maintenance guys creeped my daughter out plus worked on the room next door very loudly at 9 p.m. One of my beds and chairs on the balcony were broken. Maintenance and housekeeping do not wear masks,

Plus side, our view was spectacular on the 5th floor. I recommended the higher floors so no view obstruction.

Extra note: If you walk the pier it is a $2 fee per person to do so.

Room tip: Beach house choose higher floors for ocean view.
1  Thank Sherry F
Charles Cruger, Guest Services / Front Office at The Island Ft Walton Destin by Hotel RL, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2021

Thank you for the candid feedback provided. We will share all of your concerns with upper management.