“Amazing Food”

Gilbert's Underground Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
Gilbert's Underground Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$7 - US$45
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Celebrity Chef Kenny Gilbert returns home to the Jacksonville area with Gilbert's Underground Kitchen, a neighborhood-driven Deep Southern American restaurant. Located on the North side of the Intercoastal Waterway Bridge, UK offers residents of the Fernandina Beach area the ideal spot to grab a seasonal, comforting and delicious meal. With over 20 years of professional culinary experience, Kenny rose to fame in 2010 as one of the fan favorites on season seven of Bravo's "Top Chef." Since then, he has cooked for the likes of Oprah Winfrey, Gayle King, Stedman Graham, Samuel L. Jackson and A.J. Calloway, just to name a few. Kenny began his culinary career in Jacksonville with The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company and is excited to return - UK is Kenny's first solo venture with his wife/partner Anna. "I'm excited to be back in the Jacksonville area - besides spending a considerable amount of time working here throughout my career, I am also not far from my family's roots in St. Augustine which feels good," said Kenny.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Hands down, the best place we ate at on Amelia Island. My little nephew gave it two thumbs up! The Bourbon Pecan Pie was to die for!

Chef Kenny G, Owner at Gilbert's Underground Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded today

Thank you very much!!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Make sure you get reservations here because we almost didn’t get in. We got lucky because a big party cancelled at the last minute. We had great service & the restaurant’s ambience was very nice. We enjoyed fabulous sangrias, especially the margarita style one. It tasted like Lemonade. They don’t have a full liquor license, so they only had wine or beer options, but they were very creative with their wine drinks. Their pulled brisket was lean & delectable. The vegetables tasted like they came out of a fresh garden. I don’t normally like tomatoes but their heirloom tomatoes were very sweet. The prices were very reasonable for the quality of food received. My only cautionary tale is to be careful if you order the gluten free substituted meals. We ran into a couple of issues where the kitchen didn’t get the memo & sent out the wrong version on accident. However, the restaurant was super apologetic and made the situation right. Even with this small incident, we would definitely eat here again next time we come to visit Amelia Island.

Chef Kenny G, Owner at Gilbert's Underground Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Thank you very much for your review.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

This place has incredibly good food. I had the kale salad and crispy brussel sprouts. My husband had the rice bowl with smoked turkey. We shared fried green tomatoes and a blackberry cobbler pie. All were delicious! When I told them I had never tried grits in my life, they brought me out a small sample. While plain grits aren’t spectacular, they were good enough to make me want to go back and try the shrimp & cheesy grits. Great service and great food will have us going back for more! Hope to meet Kenny sometime in the future too. Highly recommend! FYI- Make reservations since it’s small.

Thank you very much!

Reviewed 26 May 2018 via mobile

This place is located in an old and unassuming buliding/house that you can easily miss if you are not being alert. But looks can be deceiving. The smoked and barbecued meats are just to-die-for. We had brisket, pork ribs and pecan pie. OMG. It is good this place is far from our home, or we might gain 50 pounds each! Casual and quirky, but, oh so tasty.

Thank you so much!

Reviewed 20 May 2018 via mobile

We were really excited to try this restaurant. We had asked the concierge of our hotel for a recommendation for good low country southern food and he immediately said “Gilbert’s”. So we made the reservation on Open Table.

Boy were we disappointed. We should have left after we asked for the shrimp and grits and were told ... They had no shrimp!! One of the iconic southern dishes and they couldn’t make it. Here in the shrimping capital of the South. Send someone next store to Winn Dixie for heavens sake!

So we went for their other iconic dishes ... Their hot chicken and plain fried chicken. Our reservations were for 7, and we FINALLY GOT OUR FOOD AT 9. The server would update us periodically with all sorts of excuses about the fryer. The restaurant was not at all crowded so that wasn’t the reason. At one point she asked if we wanted another appetizer (and did eventually comp it). Finally the chicken arrived ... And tho good, not worth the wait.

There are so many excellent restaurants in this part of Florida ... I am sorry we wasted a night at Gilberts.

2  Thank DrSuePa

I apologize Sue for your poor experience. I was not aware of this situation. Please email me your receipt to ukteam@undergroundkitchen.co so that I can review and work on fixing this. We have had some challenges with staffing and have been rectifying slowly but surely. Fried Chicken takes 14 minutes. The only issue is there are times when everyone orders allot of Fried Chicken and the kitche can get behind. No excuse, just what happens at times.
As far as the Shrimp. I’m not sure what happened or why we ran out. Our shrimp vendor is literally around the corner and there must have been an oversite on inventory. I sincerely apologize.