“I'm Sad”

Big Red Truck
Ranked #120 of 314 Restaurants in Destin
Price range: US$5 - US$13
Cuisines: Fast food
Description: The Big Red Truck offers high end comfort food on the move. Our locations and hours change regularly. Follow us on Facebook at Big Red Truck for more information, including Daily Specials.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Honestly, I have waited a while to write this because it makes me sad. I had The Big Red Truck cater my wedding. On my wedding day they showed up on time and everything for the day had went perfect. After the ceremony my husband and I went to take pictures. Upon return we came back to all of our guest wondering around and being told they had to eat now because the truck was going to leave. Needless to say as a bride I was DEVASTATED! The rest of the reception was completely thrown off. We were not able to be announced on our way back in. The cake, the first dance, the everything from then on was not in order. I have tried and tried to let this go but can't. I had assumed it was something on my end that I didn't plan correctly. However, I have went back and I found the contract I signed with The Big Red Truck. No where on there did it say they would only stay for 2hrs. Every time I communicated with the staff (Mostly Ms Jami) they were very nice and professional. I had explained many times that my wedding and reception were in the same place and that my wedding began at 6. NEVER was I told that they would serve food at 6 and leave at 8. My wedding was wonderful overall but for the rest of my life I have to remember that my wedding day was completely thrown off because of the catering. My husband did not even eat that night. I tried but really was too busy trying to have to coordinate everything else to run smoothly and change the order of everything. Bottom line, no Bride wants to come back to her reception ready to be announced to her guest only to find them already eating because the people catering said they were going to leave. It really made me sad at all the hard work, time and money put into a wonderful joining of families was completely thrown off!

JamiJBRG, Owner at Big Red Truck, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

So very sorry there was a miscommunication. We work multiple events many days. This is why we have timelines set which we communicate in our contract. We arrive in advance to set things up and then allow 2 hours for food service as noted in our catering menu FAQ section that we send in our first email with any prospective new client. When things were delayed we reached out to who we understood to be the Mother of the Bride. If that is inaccurate please accept our apologies. I wish we could have addressed this in person when adjustments could have been made. We followed the directives given and as a result did stay longer than agreed. Sincere apologies if things didn’t go as you had anticipated. We work very hard to make sure that everyone’s special event is a success. We have an extensive background in events; we strive to make the extra effort to ensure things go smoothly. Our reviews reflect this. This is the only review we have received otherwise. It’s a shame that things were lost in translation. As a result, we are sad also. We understand all that goes into planning your wedding and how important that day is. Your wedding day should be all that you imagined. Sincere apologies that you feel we let you down. Thank you.

Reviewed 21 May 2018

We hired BRT for our rehearsal dinner and they did not disappoint! They were on time and ready to go. All the food was amazing and they set us up with the leftovers at our venue. Thanks BRT, you ROCK!

JamiJBRG, Owner at Big Red Truck, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2018

Thank you Juanita! We were honored to be a part of your special day!!

Reviewed 14 May 2018

The Big Red Truck catered my sister's wedding which was aboard the pirate ship Buccaneer. During planning they were great at helping me determine menu items, staging and staying within my budget. The day of the event they were very helpful with not only their set up but anything they could do to pitch in to make my sister's special day a success. The food was delicious, the service exceptional and they even helped with much of the clean up afterwards. If you are looking for someone to cater your special event, don't overlook them due to the "food truck" label. They are every bit a professional catering company with so much more to offer. I'm now looking for excuses to use them again in the future.

Reviewed 12 May 2018

I stopped at the dock side location after an 8 hour boat trip. I wanted to get a few beers for the boat crew and get some smaller bills for tipping them. I purchased 2 beers for $6.50 and was given change back for a $20, I had given them a $50. There were three girls working the grill and the cook had walked away from register, I am saying she took the money but they stated they did have any $50 bills. I know the owners of American Spirit boats and they tried to talk with them and got the cold shoulder also.
I am not some tourist that came by to taken, I purchased a condo down in Destin area for my fishing habit and spend 4-5 months in Destin each year.
I will not do any business with this grill until I am made whole again, and maybe the staffers start looking for new business too. I mean a thief is a thief, no matter who they take from.
If you do go here just make sure you ask them can you bust a fifty for a few beers or food, that way they know they have your large bill(s).

Mariah R, Public Relations Manager at Big Red Truck, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2018

Hello Ronald,
A customer advised us of your post, luckily. As our price point, level of service and reputation precedes we take our customers experience very seriously. These comments were quite unsettling to say the least. Since this post I have been able to count all cash drawers, there is no discrepancy in the accounting for yesterday; the day you reference. Our beer inventory also shows no inconsistency. We have cameras setup throughout the Grill which allowed me to review your interaction with the staff. Although, I can't see the denomination of the bill handed to the cashier I can view all staff during the transaction and see no questionable behavior. Lastly, the Grill did not receive any $50.00 bills yesterday. I am not sure where or how the misunderstanding happened but I can assure you that we care a great deal about our customers experience and our reputation. We are thorough in our screening, hiring and training to ensure that we have a team that shares in that ideal. I am very sorry you didn't have the experience at the Grill that you anticipated. Next time you are on the Harbor stop by and we'll buy you a beer! -Jami Jones, Owner

Reviewed 1 May 2018 via mobile

My husband and I stopped for a quick bite to eat and were not disappointed! We had the fried fish tacos and sweet and spicy shrimp tacos! Amazing!