“Fond Memories at Spartans”

Spartan Pizza & Restaurant
Ranked #16 of 334 Restaurants in Waterbury
Cuisines: Pizza, Soups
Reviewed 15 September 2016 via mobile

Everytime I walk into Spartans I think about the old days when we were kids and my parents would take us there. My father would say that he had a "whoolie" for a steak grinder and we knew we were going to Spartans. The restaurant was originally across the street from it's current location. We had fun playing songs on the jukeboxes that were at most of the tables. We could play whatever we wanted as long as we played "Sara Smile" by Hall & Oates for my dad.
Athan and Toula established the restaurant in 1977 and they were always happy to greet their customers. Even today, Toula still walks around the restaurant to say hello and make sure that everyone is happy. Doesn't seem that long ago when Athan would be outside directing people where to park. As long as he could keep his business thriving, no task ever seemed to small or beneath Athan. He did it all with a smile.
Tonight I had my favorite dish on the menu. The Grilled Chicken Platter. Thinly sliced marinated chicken breast grilled and served with fresh tomato slices, feta cheese, greek olives, pepperocini peppers, and I like to substitute coleslaw for the fries. Healthy and Delicious !!!
I balanced out the healthy dish with a Troegs IPA. Spartans has a nice beer selection.
My wife had the Big Fat Greek Pizza. Onions, feta cheese, greek olives, tomatoes; green peppers, and mozzerella. She loved it.
The entire restaurant is nice and recently remodeled to include a banquet room. We prefer the bar side because there's always an energetic vibe on that side. A lot of people around the bar and in the booths having a Great Time.

Reviewed 22 August 2016

Great food buffalo chicken wrap...slamming. Great bartenders but one girl she should never work in the tip industry. Great ownership always walking around talking with customers.

Reviewed 2 August 2016 via mobile

Haven't been here in years, especially at their new location. Had the eggplant grinder for lunch. Very good. I am fussy about eggplant and it was thinly sliced with the skin removed. The mozzarella was melted nicely and the grinder roll had a crunch as it was fresh out of the oven. Comfortable atmosphere and good service. Recommend for lunch.

Reviewed 25 July 2016 via mobile

My son only likes cheese pizza,lightly baked only! Chef not too happy with request at first, but when it came out too dark, he redid it without my request. It is tasty pizza!

Reviewed 9 July 2016

Spartan's, as the locals refer to it, is an up-scale variant on a Greek diner. In no way do I mean to dismiss Greek diners because they are the staple and reliable source of god food throughout the region. But, Spartan's is different.

It has the vibe of a local restaurant and bar. There is a comfortable restaurant section with booths and tables [that can be configured for small or large groups]. And there is the well-stocked bar with access to the full restaurant menu. Nothing screams Greek except the menu. Everything, though, overwhelms you with welcome and comfort.

The menu is a delicious variation of pizza, subs [grinders, wedges, hoagies or whatever you call a long roll stuffed with filling in your part of the country], good-old American favorites and Greek specialties. There is a daily specials board with a rotating variety of dishes. I particularly enjoy going on Tuesday when Lamb is always on the Specials [don't quote me on the day, lamb sometimes moves around the daily specials boards - lambs do wander]. Portions are generous and it is rare that I don't end up with a "doggie bag" of leftovers to take home.

The owner and her staff are courteous, knowledgeable, efficient and, most of all, friendly. If you show up often, they get to know you and your frequent orders. They are genuinely happy to see you and take your order with a smile. And, they can take a joke. I will visit with friends and we generally order dessert. One of my friends will order rice pudding without whipped cream and I will order a dish of ice cream with her whipped cream. And, I will get my ice cream with two helpings of whipped cream and a laugh from the server.

I must say that I enjoy their Greek moussaka, spanakopita, and gyros. They are flavorful and filling. They are a nice Greek balance to the rest of the menu.

I must urge anyone to stop by and enjoy. It's an easy on and off Route I84 exit 18 in Waterbury.