“Great information in a beautiful setting”

The Mark Twain House & Museum
Ranked #3 of 66 things to do in Hartford
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Mark Twain House & Museum, a National Historic Landmark in Hartford, Connecticut, was the home of America's greatest author, Samuel Clemens (a.k.a. Mark Twain) and his family from 1874 to 1891. It is also where Twain lived when he wrote his most important works, including Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, The Prince and The Pauper and A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. A stunning example of Picturesque Gothic architecture, the 25-room home features a dramatic grand hall, a lush glass conservatory, a grand library and the handsome billiard room where Twain wrote his famous books. The Webster Bank Museum Center at The Mark Twain House & Museum offers visitors an opportunity to learn more about Mark Twain, his family, the historic house, and the author's legacy. This state-of-the-art facility houses our ticket desk; the Aetna Gallery with a permanent exhibition on Twain's life and work; a rotating exhibition hall, The Hartford Financial Services Theatre, showing a Ken Burns mini-documentary on Twain; classroom space; the lecture hall-style Lincoln Financial Auditorium; The Mark Twain Store; entertaining spaces like the soaring Hal Holbrook and the sunny second floor cafe/patio area.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Each time I go here, I learn more about Mark Twain. It is a fascinating house and beautifully restored. Well worth the time

Write a ReviewReviews (1 337)
All reviews
"twain house"
in 41 reviews

23 - 27 of 1 337 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

There is a tour for the inside of this Landmark, but the weather was not for us, personally only, to do the walking tour. We went inside the gift shop! If is amazing, get your money out because you won't want leave without something or many items! The Ladies who work in there are extremely friendly and tons of FUN! Have a wonderful time! We did. Thank you for having the gift shop!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I've read a lot of Mark Twain's books and have always wanted to visit, so the house and museum were a little bit of heaven for me. Lots of really cool Twain artifacts, like the bed he bought in Venice, his corncob pipe, his writing desk, his cat painting above the fireplace. But my kids and wife really enjoyed it too, even though they are not Twain fans. The architecture and furnishings of the house are really interesting and take you back in time - our tour guide was good with Twain stories and knew his stuff. We drove all the way from NYC for a visit and were not disappointed.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

While in the area, my girlfriend and I visited the Mark Twain Museum. Upon arrival, we discovered that a ticket was $20 each for the museum and house tour, with no student discount available. As a college student and history major, I was disappointed by this -- we weren't prepared to spend $40 at a museum. We paid $6 each for the museum-only ticket (no house tour). From here on out I have no complaints. The introductory video was well done, and the exhibits were wonderful. We spent almost an hour looking at the stories of Twain's MANY pets, and had a blast doing the scavenger hunt.

See more reviews
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

This house and museum was one of the best I had been to. It is a really fun thing to do if you only had a couple of hours and you can probably spend more time at the place too. The house itself was accessed through a guided tour which was very well done. We had Kaitlyn and she was AMAzINg. We started by watching the 20 minute video in the actual reception area and then went on the tour. I highly recommend that you do that - the film is very well done too. Mark Twain’s sense of humor is incorporated into every bit of the museum.
There is also a timeline exhibit but I only had a few minutes on there. Would definitely do it again if I am in the area!