“Not my cup of tea”

The Royal George Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 14 Restaurants in Millport
Reviewed 8 July 2018 via mobile

We were on holiday and this hotel was very close so decided to go for Sunday lunch. When you go in the first thing that you notice is the decor. Needs a new carpet and a lick of paint. No-one came near so went to the bar. Got told the menus were at the end of the bar. Went and got "menus" which was A4 tyed paper folded into three. Not very hygenic given the amount of people who were touching. Eugh. Should at least be in wipeable polly pocket. Went to the bar to order. You pay for it then you join the queue at the bar for your drink. Why? Didnt think a barmaid could get blackcurrant and soda wrong but there you go. Had to peer in to the pale pink drink to double check there actually was blackcurrant in it. Overpriced for what we got. Haggis fritter swimming in grease. Nachos had obviously been "pinged". Server came and took my plate as i was mid mouthful. I assumed it was because the main was ready. Nope. When it did come my panini was in fact a baguette. Philli steak. Either the "steak" was off or the cheese didnt compliment it. After one bite it was left. A family came in when we were there, took a look and left with the mother saying "im not letting my kids eat in here". My husband left half his burger too. Didnt stay for anything else. PS while i was at the bar a local was talking to a barmaid and moaning about tourists. Really? Its tourists that give them business while visiting the island. Sadly i will not be paying another visit to this royally named establishment which falls short of the mark.

Reviewed 26 May 2018 via mobile

Had drinks and dinner here. Friendly staff and great service. Dinner was good as were the prices. We are going back again tonight.

Reviewed 25 April 2018 via mobile

Great entertainment every weekend something new . food is great value lovely lunch every time . staff are friendly

Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

Came here 2 months ago with my partner and 2 dogs and had a lovely lunch - very dog welcoming and the women working was so kind and welcoming. So we decided to bring all our family over today for my dads birthday and planned on stopping here for something to eat as we really enjoyed the atmosphere last time. We arrived but we're 20 mins early so decided to go away and wait untill they were ready to serve no problem. The sun was shining and our dogs needed some water (we walked all around Millport) so went back to ask the barmaid if we could have some for them and she replied with "we don't have any, someone stole the dog bowl a while ago sorry" my partner asked if she could put some in a bowl for them and she refused. Disgusted with it if I'm honest. It was a quite Sunday and not many places were open but we managed to walk right round and stopped outside a cafe next to bank of Scotland where they provided water. It totally put us off going back there for food and decided just to leave and go and get the Ferry home as we didn't fancy anywhere else. It's mad what a bit of BAD customer service can do. Baring in mind there were 12 of us so would've been good customers for the day and spent around £150 all together. Your loss. Won't be back unfortunately

5  Thank Chloe S
Reviewed 8 March 2018 via mobile

I often read through review's of an establishment beforw attending as i did with The Royal George Hotel. If i went with some of the reviews i would not have went however i like to sample for myself. So glad i ignored any bad reviews. The food was 5 star. Chef was very accommodating and the kids cleared their plates. The views from the rooms and the beer garden were absolutely breath taking.

Highly reconmend.