“Best Guide In Silverton”

San Juan Backcountry
Ranked #3 of 5 Tours in Silverton
More attraction details
Owner description: Summer: Rent a Jeep, ATV, Dirt Bike, Street Bike or a Mountain Bike OR take a guided tour on an ATV or in one of our open-top 4x4 Suburbans and we will take you to the best and most spectacular places in the San Juans, one of America's most pristine wilderness areas. Winter: Come ride with us starting at Molas Lake Campground on a snowmobile tour that you will never forget! On the perfect day you will arrive up at almost 13k feet, on top of the Grand Turk, where purgatory looks like just a hop skip and jump away! Or come rent skis, snowboards, sleds or ice skate at Kendall mountain and enjoy all the powder we have to offer! Best rates in Sw Colorado!
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

We took a half day guided trip with Michael. He was Awesome ! He knew so much about the area n took us to places we could get out and explore and be safe. I highly recommend Michael if you are doing a suburban tour thru San Juan Backcountry. You won't be disappointed.

All reviews
in 9 reviews
"awesome tour"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 25 June 2018

We were a group of 7 travelling to Durango from AZ/CA. We booked 2 UTVs( 4seaters) for a Full day guided tour. A week before the trip, the owner of the house where we were supposed to stay called us and informed about the wildfire and told us that area was being evacuated. I emailed San Juan backcountry a week before our trip to cancel the trip as the fire was still not under control. They ended up charging me 10% cancellation charges.As per their email - "there's little smoke here and there".
Now I understand that as their policy- they ride rain or shine, but how do you justify the cancellation charges when the whole forest is closed due to wildfires. Upon mentioning this their reply was "If you come from other side of mountain, there are no fires" and this was 7 days before our trip while the fire was still growing(and the whole San Juan Forest still closed)
In contrast, the place where we were staying, the owner was courteous enough to refund the complete reservation amount.

This just shows the lack of decent customer service.
I chose them based on their reviews and I understand that the experience (had we been able to do it) might have been good, but I would not recommend making a reservation with this company.

P.S. We ended up going to Pagosa Springs and had a great experience with a local ATV company out there.

Reviewed 28 May 2018 via mobile

We had the most amazing time with Michael! His knowledge about the area was wonderful and showed us the hidden gems of the area! One thing don't book thru the train do it thru then directly so you can have an even more amazing adventure! The train is a beginner course which we did not know that. We had a great time chasing waterfalls, seeing the ghost town that got a facelift and all the beautiful nature thanks to Mike! Thanks for the unforgettable experience!

Reviewed 5 March 2018

My family rented a UTV from San Juan Backcountry because we wanted to add one more along with our Razor we were bringing. We needed to change something about the reservation but could not get anyone to call us back, answer the phone, or respond to an email. The website will take your money and reserve your UTV but if you need to make any changes they do not respond to any request. I ended up calling my Credit Card company and reversing the charges which did not need to happen if someone.... anyone would have communicated with us. The rental is not until early summer and we had plenty of time to make changes but after days of calling and emailing them I gave up. I am a business owner and part of good service is to communicate with my customers. I felt that if I could not trust them to return a call or an email, how could I trust that the UTV would be there for us for our trip. I sent the email on Feb 14th, 2018 to tours@sanjuanbackcountry.com, called numerous, and to this date March 4th, 2018 they have made no communication efforts to me. Be aware, your results may be better than mine but I could not find a way to communicate with the company where they would respond. We made other arrangements with another company that returned a call to me on less than two hours.

Larrypowersports, Owner at San Juan Backcountry, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2018

Blake S,
So sorry to hear that you had troubles. Being our 13th year in business we pride ourselves in customer service. Unfortunately we are a seasonal business and have been away on holiday for my wife and I 18th anniversary. We are a small family business, but all phone calls and emails go to our iPhones. I looked and you did call six times on the 14th and emails the 15 you were disputing charges. We do try to handle all calls ASAP, and did have voice message up that we were out of town for two weeks. I truly apologize for inconvenience. Hope your time in our neck of the woods is enjoyable