“A Lovely Tradition”
Review of The Fort

The Fort
Reserve with OpenTable
The Fort is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 24 Restaurants in Morrison
Price range: US$31 - US$80
Cuisines: Southwestern
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: An award winning and nationally acclaimed “truly Colorado” restaurant, The Fort is located in Southwest Denver’s Red Rocks Territory. Specializing in regional game, such as bison, elk and quail, as well as seasonal fish and hearty vegetarian fare influenced by American Indian and Mountain Man cuisine, The Fort’s creation of “New Foods of the Old West,” brings back popular recipes from the 19th century, prepared with a twist. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, The Fort is a full-scale adobe replica of Bent’s Fort, an important fur-trading fort originally in Southeastern Colorado (1833-1849). Paying homage to the property’s historic inspiration, The Fort’s cuisine is modeled after the diets of pioneers along the Santa Fe Trail, mountain men and native Indian tribes, as well as the culinary influences of the Mexican and Spanish traders who once occupied the border of Old Mexico and the U.S. Territory where the original Bent’s Fort sat. Kinney leads The Fort’s creation of “New Foods of the Old West,” bringing back modernized versions of popular recipes from the 19th century, utilizing a rare cookbook library with more than 3,000 volumes. Dishes such as roasted bison marrow bones, braised bison tongue, Rocky Mountain Oysters and Buffalo tenderloin filet mignon are menu staples, as are cocktails like Trade Whiskey, made with “organic” gunpowder, and “The Hailstorm,” the first Colorado cocktail served in 1833 at Bent’s Fort.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The Fort has become the place where my husband and I celebrate ALL the big things in our lives- Anniversaries, birthdays, pregnancies, promotions, etc. We are always blown away by the service we receive from the staff, and the care and consideration we are always shown. The food is delicious! I have yet to try something I was not impressed with. My husband is adventurous, but I seem to always end up with the Elk Chops (my favorite!). We will always continue to go to The Fort to celebrate whatever life throws at us!

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We brought a large group of Seniors to The Fort on Monday night for dinner. We realize that large groups are especially challenging, but everything was amazing. They said that the tables were ready for them when they arrived, and that their every need was "catered to". Victoria was instrumental in making this happen. Thanks for the excellent food and hospitality.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Dropped in here for dinner.

The atmosphere was very much an old civil war frontier trading post ‘fort’ with enough nods to current day to not be campy.

Had an appetizer of buffalo eggs.

Essentially a scotch egg, but quail egg inside of bison sausage. Very yummy.

They had a special of bison sirloin with teriyaki glazed quail.

Very good entree- only thing we should have gone rare on the bison - it was a tad tough.

Also, the quail was so good it overshadowed the bison.

But that’s picking nits... my plate only needed to be sanitized when I was done. I cleaned it.

Dessert was a Mexican chocolate cake with bourbon sauce.
Very good ending to the meal.

If you’re in the area, you should try it.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Knew it was a bit pricey, but I do expect better. The wine was beyond its point of being good. Vegetables were cold and tasteless, ( broccoli) tried rice/quinoa not flavorful at all. I have to say the potatoes were well seasoned.
Meats were ok. Fish good. Service was ok, but had to keep asking for service
I think the restaurant needs to step up

1  Thank meggie0214
Reviewed 4 June 2018

There were 10 in our party, including 2 wedding anniversaries and a birthday. When we made the reservation, we mentioned our special occasions, but there was no recognition of any kind (no free dessert). We reminded the wait staff again at the table, but she ignored us.

First: The menu on-line does not show prices. Now we know why! Maybe people won’t go Most prices were $50 and $60 per entree.

Our meal began with appetizers and drinks, which were ok. I had the prickly pear margarita for $8. It was refreshing. The waitress only brought us the drink and appetizer menu, which was strange. We had to wait a very long time for her to finally bring us the dinner menu. As other reviewers said, the prices were outrageous, but we were ok with it IF the food was going to be good. Big If. It wasn’t.

We ordered the special which was bison and quail for $39.99. It was the cheapest thing on the menu. The bison was chewy and the quail was over cooked. My sister’s salad had a hair in it. She told the waitress and all she did was bring her a new one! No apology. We did split some ice cream, which was a refreshing end to a very bad meal.

Another Note: Many items on the menu were labeled “market price” This is understandable for fish, but not bison.

Don’t go there for the food. It was over priced, over rated and very disappointing.

1  Thank AbbyLove