All reviews chef bob cattle drive white water rafting family vacation horseback riding riding ability fantastic week trading post other guests skeet shooting skill level cowboy boots overnight camp ping pong fly fishing every guest line dancing
Reviewed 27 June 2018

We were guests at the BMR last week with our 10 year old grandson. What a fantastic experience! This is a working dude ranch and the staff works very hard to make sure you have a great time. Our grandson had never been horseback riding, the wranglers talked to us and paired him up with a great horse. We were in the saddle 6 of 7 days and it was so much fun. Chaps, cowboy hats, cowboy boots ... You really are living the life of a cowboy. The accommodations are top notch, very clean and modern. All the staff from the co-owners (who eat meals with you and are always around) to housekeeping, kitchen, wranglers ... Are happy to have you as guests and treat you like a member of their family. Lisa was our wrangler and she was outstanding. Chris, the Cattle Barron is so patient & kind and does he know his horses and steers. Nowell and Bryce May (brothers who own BMR) are gracious, friendly and perfect hosts. The ranch is a dream, with beautiful mountain trails, Jake's Lake, Pack Camp, Rock Creek and many other cool rides and destinations. The food is so good you won't believe it. Chef Bob and Jake come from fine dining backgrounds and you will never go away hungry or unsatisfied after a meal. You get 3 square meals a day and it's a miracle if you don't gain weight! In the evening after the horses stampede out to pasture there are fun times in the saloon. Pool, foosball, ping pong ... Some nights dancing and just hanging out.
The highlight of the week for me was the cattle drive. Finding the cattle, herding them back to the ranch, then roping and branding a few calves, before you drive them all back to pasture is the experience of a life time. There are no TVs and spotty wifi at best, being off the grid was a good thing, our grandson made new friends and they actually talked and played outside together all week. If you are looking for one of the best Dude Ranches ever, look no further than The Black Mountain Dude Ranch and "Giddy Up" Cowboy!!!

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 June 2018

For me the customer services started even before I reached the Ranch. My Friend and I had originally booked our trip June of 2017, when the week before we were to go I broke my arm. I was expecting to lose my payment or encounter a rebooking fee. Neither one of those things happened, I was treated like family and told to let them know when could make the trip. Well I finally did get to BMR and was still not disappointed. Our cabin was perfect and the staff was warm and friendly. The Ranch has some of the best trails and scenery you could want on a trip like this. The ranch hands are friendly and competent and able to work with the most novice to experienced riders. Oh let’s not forget the food, the Chef at BMR is 5 stars in his own right.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 June 2018

We did quite a bit of research in selecting our vacation dude ranch and selected BMR since it had all the qualities we were looking for. The website is very thorough and accurate but our week surpassed expectations since we got to live it. The agenda provided a nice structure for as much as we wanted to follow but it was very personalized for our group of 3. We never ran out of things to do and loved the variety of activities and different types of rides. The food was exceptional and plentiful. Best fried chicken I've ever had and the apple pie....too many delicious things to name.

The wranglers and the rest of the staff could not have been nicer or more fun. The culture created by the May family is so welcoming for all of the guests and staff - they really make you feel like family after just a week.

The horses are true athletes that can navigate the rugged terrain very well. If you love horses, dogs, goats and cows, you will get your fix. You might even see a bear hanging out nearby like we did. Another added bonus is that there are very few bugs!

Be sure to follow the list of things to bring. Only other suggestion is to spend a day in Denver/surrounding area to start acclimating yourself to the altitude. Your body definitely notices a difference at the ranch.

Happy Trails - If you want a dude ranch adventure, look no further. You will LOVE BMR!

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank JaneKief
Reviewed 19 June 2018

Oh wow, where do I start? First of all, don't waste time in your search for the real deal western/riding getaway because BMR has it all and IS it all. From the moment you arrive you feel more like family than a guest. The ranch has a capacity that makes you feel like you are having a week long family reunion! We made connections and friendships across the globe (literally) that were amazing. My sister and I visited after a lifelong wish to do this for our 40th Birthday and it was magical. Every detail was perfect. As kids we watched that show 'Hey Dude' and thought we knew what this was all about. Well, this trip exceeded everything. We are experienced riders and got to ride horses that were adored by us and the ranch...no experience is no problem they have the perfect horse for everyone! And it's all about responsible fun we had such a blast, every single day! I could go on and on and on....the food: best I've ever had. Delicious. Every detail of the trip is taken care of you can with no worries about anything at all. rooms were very clean and SUPER comfy. In fact, I slept so great each night I woke up in the same position next morning (this never happens at home!) My dream of a dude ranch came true and it was better than I could have ever imagined. I cried when I said goodbye to everyone and that's never happened on any trip, ever! The staff there socialize, visit, eat meals, and party with the guests yet somewhere in the background they are communicating with each other so well that everything is flawless. It's pretty incredible to witness. Am I going back?
ABSOLUTELY!!

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank tuttlehutson
Reviewed 18 June 2018 via mobile

I went to Black Mountain Ranch to celebrate a good friend’s 60th Birthday. She had done a lot of research and found BMR. We both have horses and ride together and based on the pictures and video on the website it seemed like a perfect fit.
The website can only “show” you what to expect, there is no way you can get the vibe of BMR unless you are there. I felt like I had stepped into my dream life. The May family are hard working down home folks with kids that have an amazing work ethic and respect. The Wranglers and the staff blend right into the family. I never felt like a guest, I felt more like the relative that came to visit. The May family and all the employees have their meals with us, hang with us and party with us.
If you are looking to disconnect, this is the spot. Great riding, amazing meals, adventure and best of all some of the best people I’ve met in a long time.
Thank you to everyone at Black Mountain Ranch for an over the moon week. AND, thank you to Amalia for having the Dude Ranch dream & letting us tag along
Libby