“Excellent is all you need to know”

Excellent Surf School
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Our well known surfschool is located in Arugam Bay on the beautiful southeast coast of Sri Lanka. You are an absolute beginner or intermediate surfer? Our professional teachers guide you on your individual level and show you the different surfpoints around the bay. You are not a surfer and want to explore the nature? Arugam Bay has alot to offer for nature-lovers. Rent a scooter and discover the surroundings on your own or come on a safaritour with us to Kumana Nationalpark to see wild elephants, leopards, crocodiles, wild boars, monkeys and many other animals.
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

There is no one more experienced and knowledgeable about surfing in Arugam Bay than the guys at Excellent Surf School. You really need to look no further for the best experience for surfing than here! They are located conveniently on the main strip nearest to main point break. The guys are real pioneers in surfing at Arugam Bay, know everything about local conditions, and have consistently won Sri Lankan surf championships, making them arguably the best surfers in the country. Despite this success, they are super kind, patient and fun loving, with any age group and skill level. They also organize local safaris in the evenings (or when surf is slow) to see wild elephants, crocodiles, birds, monkeys, etc, bonfires on the beach, and camping. We cannot recommend Excellent Surf School more!

All reviews
in 20 reviews
"beginners"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed 16 September 2017

Went surfing in Arugam Bay with my girlfriend who needed some classes and ended up coming to Excellent Surf School. We were very much welcomed by Lasitha and his team - my GF initially wanted just a class and ended up coming back every single day of our week-long stay in A-Bay for surf lessons!

Lasitha was a great teacher - patient, pedagogic, super kind, and my GF felt super safe while surfing. He showed us around a number of spots, choosing each day which spot would work better for my GF level but as well mine (I would come along and surf as my GF would have her class) depending on the day's surfing conditions.

Lasitha has been as well super helpful to us and gave us some super good advice on what else to do in A-Bay more generally and even helped us book our taxi back to Colombo on our last day.

I cannot recommend enough Excellent Surf School!

Lasitha and his team really made our stay in A-Bay - so thank you again from the bottom of our heart!!

Reviewed 17 August 2017

Dulip and his team were excellent, really knowledgeable and super patient. He organised transport and boards to Panama Point, a learner friendly beach where he taught my kids for a couple of hours, two days running. He is very funny, very patient and a very switched on surfer. He got both of my kids up riding waves on day 1. There are some pretty shabby surf instructors about so we were really pleased with him and his team. Highly recommended by me and my kids, Liam and Emily.

Reviewed 13 August 2017

Had fun, good price, stood up! The lesson was taught in a way that was easy to understand including safety, and the classes were small (2 people per instructor).

We were driven to Panama in a beach then taken back to Arugam, it was all very easy.

Would definitely recommend.