“Impromptu Easter Dinner”
Review of Tavern West

Tavern West
Ranked #17 of 66 Restaurants in Frisco
Description: Tavern Wests offers the dining experience trifecta: Authentic, farm-fresh food, seasonally rotating craft beers, and an upscale mountain atmosphere. Fancy enough for a night out, affordable enough for a quick bite. We provide the staples you love with an extra touch of homemade, hand-crafted goodness. Tavern West on the west end of Main Street in Frisco, Colorado, where you get spectacular views of Mt. Royal from our year-round deck. Our wrap-around bar and dining room fireplace create the perfect atmosphere for a dinner celebration or après ski gathering. Come apres' or dine with us!
Reviewed 2 April 2018

My husband and I drove down here from Steamboat Springs to have dinner with my family on Easter night. Made a reservation for 8 a few nights ahead of time. We did some research, asked around, and Taven West seemed to be the best choice for a nice "steak and potatoes" dinner in Frisco like my mom requested. It was totally worth the 2 hour drive. All the food was wonderful. We got 2 of the cheapest bottles of Malbec and they were delicious. Everybody was happy with their food. I read other reviews and ordered the grilled artichokes and beet salad to start with and loved it. The only complaints were the steak knives worked worse than butter knives to cut the meat, but thats not worth a star and the fact that they don't have tomato juice or Bloody Mary's (this is purely a Russian guy complaint bc they drink tomato juice with all meals). I got the bone-in pork chop and just had a hard time cutting it and chewing it up, would prefer it to be a bit more tender, but it was tasty. Portions are large. Would absolutely come back.

Reviewed 22 March 2018 via mobile

From the outside looking in, we were excited about this place and rooting for it to be good if not great. Once inside and experienced it we found it completely different than we expected. Based on the menu and prices.
It’s a bar and grill with fine dining/steakhouse prices. Don’t be fooled into thinking you’ll get a great steak here. You’ll get the bill for the $38.00 filet but it’s not worth it. The place is tiny like most places are in summit county but the bar is front and center and the main draw here is the happy hour so it is incredibly loud and busy. The filet was for sure cooked medium rare as ordered but was stringy/grainy and hard to cut and chew. I was shaking the table trying to cut it. Seriously. I was/am so disappointed. I’d expect that from a $15-$18 cut at a bar and grill but they advertised $38! The salmon was ok but the white beans that come with it were atrocious. Horrible bitter flavor and we noticed no one at other tables nearby would eat the white beans either. The au gratin potatoes were not good. My wife hoped to at least have some potatoes but didn’t like them either. I’d say go for the Yukon gold potatoes if you come here. The Double bone in pork chop was ok. Over cooked but ok. It may have been great if cooked medium as the waiter said Chef recommended but it was over done. The artichoke appetizer was good. Bone marrow not worth he time or money.
We left hungry. The service was outstanding. The place was packed with happy hour partiers and the staff was moving well and interacting with kids of all ages. It’s a good looking place and if they lower the prices to match the quality of the food (and toss out those white beans completely) they’ll get the correct crowd and happy reviews. We wanted a nicer fine dining experience and we thought this was that kind of place based on the prices we saw. Consider yourself warned. I’m trying to help you. This filet is not a $38 dollar cut. Stay away from the white beans. If you can get the double bone in pork chop cooked medium that will be good. It comes with the Yukon potatoes too. Or go for happy hour and order bar food. Best wishes Tavern West. I do hope you find your niche.

Reviewed 22 March 2018

Lamb chops were excellent. Everyone loved their food. Our waitress Becky took away from our experience. I asked for an ale or lager draft she recommends. She just handed me a list and walked away. Five minutes later we made sure we had our beer orders ready. Maybe she was just having a bad day. It seemed like she was doing us a favor just to wait on us. I had to go find her as she would not acknowledge my request for a check. With a better server it would have been 5 stars.

1  Thank Don S
Reviewed 17 March 2018 via mobile

Food was delicious. One of us had dairy allergy, but they were very accommodating and careful. It was such a treat to have unusual selections cooked well..artichokes grilled were so tasty - marinade was great. Salads were large enough for two. Two of us ordered venison, which was delicious with the gooseberry sauce! Two desserts were ordered in our group, chocolate cake and tiramisu, made in house, went over big! Staff was always there. This is a great restaurant - would highly recommend.

Reviewed 4 March 2018

Had a delicious meal for 4 in a cozy mountain atmosphere. Steaks and salmon perfectly cooked, ribs, though rather charred were tender. Service was fine. Had to wait 20 miss for our booked table though.

Been to Tavern West? Share your experiences!